Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ancient Tara monument vandalised

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

maguic24 wrote: »
    :confused:

The fudge?

Gee, Joe, you haven't been the same since your son went crazy in Vietnam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

People who vandalise our shared heritage are some of the lowest of the low.

This. Ignorance at it's finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Gee, Joe, you haven't been the same since your son went crazy in Vietnam.

I'm not Joe and I don't have a son.

Not funny Alf, not funny. I'm already confused as it. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The fudge?
    Is there some sort of hipster vandalism spree going on in Ireland at the moment? :confused:

Is there some sort of hipster vandalism spree going on in Ireland at the moment? :confused:

I don't know Banana 1, I don't know.

First, I've heard of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Have Meath beaten mayo in the gaa recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭bazarakus

its never telling some on that they are wrong . never being allowed to point out to some one that they are a bell end because they are a "unique little flower "
    its why we have so many wnakers roaming around from urban outfitters to vintage record stores to organic cheese mongers.

I understand. What leads you to propose such denzines as being the culprits here though?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I wish pain and suffering on the perpetrators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

its never telling some on that they are wrong . never being allowed to point out to some one that they are a bell end because they are a "unique little flower "
    its why we have so many wnakers roaming around from urban outfitters to vintage record stores to organic cheese mongers.

You hate hipsters, we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Mr. Nice

I grew up in the area and know farmers who grazed their sheep there.
    With all due respect, a lot of the "artefacts" are as fake as a 3€ note and the "history" is riddled with conjecture and guesswork.

The protests about the motorway were a load of balls too, Tara wasn't affected at all.

That act of vandalism is probably the work of some christian nutjob who objects to the phallic stone symbol. And, it's only paint - it will come off.

With regard to the granite being 5000 years old, pretty much all granite is around that old and that stone was only put in place in the 1800's. There was a romantic revival at the time and a lot of St. Patrick nonsense got mixed up with celtic fables.

*On a side note, but somewhat related, it was a German guy who explained Newgrange to me. The plan view represents the female reproductive system and the sun shining through on the solstice represents impregnation.
    The pre-christian cruciform symbolism is lost on a lot of people.*

• Advertisement

I wish pain and suffering on the perpetrators.

Why? Somebody poured paint over a stone. I think you need some perspective.
    Have you ever taken the time to visit Tara?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

This is the sort of bell end that we have lumbered our selfs with . some one who was never told that they are an as hole and to cop the fcuk on . our culture of excessive inclusionism has led to all sort of ridiculous situations and produced people who have personality disorders and believe that they can do as they like when ever they like.

you can rest assured that this was done by some metro-sexual cum burper hipster who reckons he is so cool and so smart that no one understands him/her.

i would love for them to get caught and shunned by every one in the county god knows they were probably stupid enough to put some pictures on instangram or something

Is this what we're calling scumbags these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The fudge?

Fcking Organic Cheese Mongers with their tasty dairy produce made with the minimum amount of potentially dangerous chemicals. I mean what the actual fck.

Mr. Nice wrote: »

It was premeditated vandalism. The perpetrators should be punished. It's not okay to go around pouring paint over historic monuments or anything else that doesn't belong to you.

Fair enough if you don't care about archaeology or Tara but some of us do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Not funny Alf, not funny. I'm already confused as it. :pac:

It's a pain that never ends.

With all due respect, a lot of the "artefacts" are as fake as a 3€ note and the "history" is riddled with conjecture and guesswork.

The protests about the motorway were a load of balls too, Tara wasn't affected at all.

That act of vandalism is probably the work of some christian nutjob who objects to the phallic stone symbol. And, it's only paint - it will come off.

With regard to the granite being 5000 years old, pretty much all granite is around that old and that stone was only put in place in the 1800's. There was a romantic revival at the time and a lot of St. Patrick nonsense got mixed up with celtic fables.

*On a side note, but somewhat related, it was a German guy who explained Newgrange to me. The plan view represents the female reproductive system and the sun shining through on the solstice represents impregnation.

I think I'll call this post "reverse archaeology" :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

iDave wrote: »
    Is this what we're calling scumbags these days.

Well you know, this is what happends when a brother and sister marry and have children. They inevitably grow up to vandalise monuments or go round kicking kittens or some such sandwichery antics *

*Sandwichery - Because they're inbred. See what I did there?

Can we fire a bucket of paint at your car? Don't worry, it'll come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

I have 2 feelings about this.

The mystical Celtic/Lugh of the Long Spear/Cuchulainn/Slaine/Robin of Sherwood style-vibe misty ancient forefathers of the DeDannan/Fianna side of me is utterly outraged and angry on behalf of our noble ancient ancestors and ye ancient Gods (Cernunnos etc).

The cynic side agrees with what you've just said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yes I have and a considerable amount of my university work was based on it.

• Advertisement

It was premeditated vandalism. The perpetrators should be punished. It's not okay to go around pouring paint over historic monuments or anything else that doesn't belong to you.

Fair enough if you don't care about archaeology or Tara but some of us do!

Never said that I don't care about Tara. I was home for 1 week in the past 2 years and took a stroll around Tara at sunset on a fine summer evening.
    Some paint on a random piece of stone wouldn't have spoiled that, but a lot of the "history" associated with the place is highly questionable.
    I know this because I have an interest in history and archaeology.
    So, have you ever taken the time to visit this site you are so outraged about?

There are bigger problems in the world than a bit of repairable vandalism.

Never said that I don't care about Tara. I was home for 1 week in the past 2 years and took a stroll around Tara at sunset on a fine summer evening.
    Some paint on a random piece of stone wouldn't have spoiled that, but a lot of the "history" associated with the place is highly questionable.

So do we let scumbags decide if history is questionable or not?

Yes I have and a considerable amount of my university work was based on it.

Good for you.
    Maybe you can enlighten us a bit about the importance about that particular piece of stone, placed there in the 19th century.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So do we let scumbags decide if history is questionable or not?

Of course not.
    But, if it were a concrete traffic bollard in a small town in Meath would there be so much outrage?
    In my opinion, both structures are of equal importance.

I have. Yes, a lot of the stories associated with the site are mythology rather than fact but it is still an important site with regards to archaeological heritage.

No one has the right to deface it or anything that doesn't belong to them. If they want to do some painting, they should stick to painting their own belongings.

Can we fire a bucket of paint at your car? Don't worry, it'll come off.

Fire ahead. But it would ruin my paintjob and if I caught you we would probably have a physical altercation. I don't know you, but I would fancy my chances.
    Btw, who are "we"?
    Paint comes off stone way more easily than it does off car bodywork.

Maybe the whole thing is a viral marketing campaign by Nitromors.

I have. Yes, a lot of the stories associated with the site are mythology rather than fact but it is still an important site with regards to archaeological heritage.

No one has the right to deface it or anything that doesn't belong to them. If they want to do some painting, they should stick to painting their own belongings.

I agree, but the outrage seems to be the usual bandwagon jumping associated with the "terrible Joe" brigade.
    It was the work of an idiot with too much time on their hands, who should be punished if caught, but hardly worthy of pitchforks and torches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I don't suppose the vandals made an assessment of the historical credibility of the fcking stone's origins before they turfed a load of paint all over it...

That said, I couldn't give a sh1t about the actual stone, it's the late 19th C equivalent of the Spire in Dublin. However the wanton vandalism is annoying.

Fire ahead. But it would ruin my paintjob and if I caught you we would probably have a physical altercation. I don't know you, but I would fancy my chances.
    Btw, who are "we"?
    Paint comes off stone way more easily than it does off car bodywork.

Maybe the whole thing is a viral marketing campaign by Nitromors.

The royal 'we' :pac:

It doesn't matter, your car has no national, symbolic or archeological value. There are thousands just like it. (unless maybe its dug up in 1000 years time)

My first point is, someone has to clean it off and that's not free. Secondly, with the frequency of twats vandalising things, chances are in the future the site won't be as free and easy to access and enjoy as now.

• Advertisement

The royal 'we' :pac:

It doesn't matter, your car has no national, symbolic or archeological value. There are thousands just like it. (unless maybe its dug up in 1000 years time)

My first point is, someone has to clean it off and that's not free. Secondly, with the frequency of twats vandalising things, chances are in the future the site won't be as free and easy to access and enjoy as now.

You're making a lot of assumptions about my car(s) for a guy who can't spell Whisk(e)y correctly :)

And I agree that wanton vandalism is disappointing and annoying. I speak as a former wanton vandal who is now a responsible father.

As I averred to earlier, a paint removal company morkeshing department could turn this into a PR coup...

No bother if they try to charge to get in. I could go through one of the neighbours' fields.

Advertisement