Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gear your thoughts please..

Options
  • 29-05-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I am about to invest in some new lightweight gear that will hopefully withstand the Irish summer and harsh winter conditions.
    I am thinking of going down the 1 person tent route with self inflating matt,down sleeping bag within a bivi bag.
    I am hoping that all I will have to change come winter time is a lower temp rated sleeping bag.
    The following links are what I am thinking, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice would be mega helpful:)

Also because I am a new member so boards won't let me post links to the site but I have included the names of each.

Tent
    GRAM-COUNTER GEAR LITEHOUSE SOLO BACKPACKING TENT
    850g

Ground matt
    NEMO ZOR SELF INFLATING SLEEPING PAD - REGULAR
    390g

Bivi bag
    TERRA NOVA MOONLITE BAG COVER
    180g

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

will you be eaten alive by insects in a bivy bag? why not get a inner nest ? and a ground sheet to keep you off the wet ground

not as light as yours but i recently purchased this but it does have an inner nest and that works well. the pyramid shape seem to catch the wind and the pole i used contracted during the night so at 4 in the morning the tent started flapping. just as well i tried it out in a camp site first! :D i was going to go up a local valley and spend the night there near a lake. I'll need to look at it again.

Because of all that i would think this would be better (i think!) it is lighter too counting just the fly sheet which your weight is based on according to the site i saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 paul5446

That tent that I posted comes with a ground sheet and an inner mesh to stop bugs.
    I'm really liking the Hex peak though:) Looks like it could be a winner also I think two people could squeeze into it,one in the porch which is a bonus.
    Thanks for your input sheesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm thinking an Irish summer is so different to a harsh (non-irish) winter
    Does the OP expect lightweight gear to stand up to a harsh winter? like the one in 2010 with temps of -15 at sea level?

I doubt there is gear which is suitable for a 25 K temperature swing, let alone lightweight gear.

Advertisement