Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in Corkagh Park

• 29-05-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was just wondering does anyone know what the rule is for dogs off lead in Corkagh Park? I was there with my dog (off lead) the other week and some lady stopped me to tell me that apparently all dogs must be kept on a leash and that a friend of hers recently got fined €80 on the spot for having the dog off lead. I put my dog on the lead, however I kept an eye out on the way back to my car and there was not one single sign (I parked by the Corkagh Park Demise/Playground area) to say that dogs should be kept on leads. I have been there a few times and never saw a sign!

I do know there is a dog park there however my dog gets a little nervous and tends to shut down and hide behind my legs in a dog park. So going to the dog park just isn't an option for me! I don't mind what the rule is either way, but its not very fair that they give you an on-the-spot fine despite having no signs to tell you otherwise! I just don't want to get caught out. If that's the rule, il have to find another park to walk in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

Let your dog off the lead when the park is quiet- In the morning, during light rains, after rains. when there are no joggers or children about. there is a patrol car that goes about so don't go near the footpaths. sick to wide field to the left of the playground and walk along the trees. thats what I do with my dog even though he no trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

There are signs around saying dogs must be on leash at all times, but they are not shown everywhere.

I used to bring my dogs to the dog park, but it's not really suitable for them due to the types of dogs that are there pretty often. Really needs to be an area for people to let their small dogs off, I have met a lot of people who won't bring their dog there because of all the big dogs around.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

Many people are afraid of there smaller dogs being rough housed by the bigger ones.

Cait87 wrote: »
    Many people are afraid of there smaller dogs being rough housed by the bigger ones.

Indeed. And also dogs with quite a prey drive will pick on the smallies. To a large dog with an instinct like that a yorkie wouldn't look much different to a squirrel.

I was also told of an incident where a pug got accidentally knocked face forward by a large dog, he ended up with grit behind his eye causing it to bulge out. :( These things happen, but at least people should be able to have the choice as to what size dogs they want their dog around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's a bit of a problem in Ireland at any rate, that dog parks are being set up with little or no consultation with people who could advise on how to set them up properly to avoid problems such as this.
    Categorically one of the most important factors that must be in place in a dog park, is to have one section for big dogs, and a separate section for small dogs where big dogs are absolutely not allowed go.
    I would think that if enough owners wrote to their local council (is Corkagh Park managed by the council?) asking for the dog park to be rearranged to allow separate space for smallies, they'll eventually be listened to, especially if the Health and Safety aspect is mentioned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭yr one

My dog (about 5kg) received some nasty cuts to her neck and a broken tail bone when a lurcher in the dog park picked her up like a rag doll, everything was fine till this dog arrived, straight away it ran right at her.

The woman that owns this lurcher would be good friends with the muppet that calls himself the dog whisperer, he's constantly telling people what to do, not even advising them, literally forcing his opinion down their throat.

The thing that annoyed me most about that was the woman that owned the lurcher, when I went to get my dog she insisted her dog was PLAYING!!! she wouldn't restrain her dog, so I'm not ashamed to say it I grabbed her dog right up under its neck and squeezed as hard as I could, it dropped my pup and ran crying, then this fool has the audacity to complain that I hurt her dog!!! She's lucky it didn't have one of my shoes stuck up its hole!!!

My dog was about 6 months old and after that I spent hours at training and classes to try and calm her nerves around other dogs, she's still nervous around greyhounds and lurchers, but has a little confidence where she will bark and tell them off rather than cower into a ball

As for the no lead, I let mine walk free outside the dog park, she prefers it a million percent more, if any of the wardens or staff have anything to say I will be showing them the vet and training bills I got landed with because of this ar$e hole!

Also I'm a woman, so it wasn't a lad arguing with her in the park

DBB wrote: »
    It's a bit of a problem in Ireland at any rate, that dog parks are being set up with little or no consultation with people who could advise on how to set them up properly to avoid problems such as this.
    Categorically one of the most important factors that must be in place in a dog park, is to have one section for big dogs, and a separate section for small dogs where big dogs are absolutely not allowed go.
    I would think that if enough owners wrote to their local council (is Corkagh Park managed by the council?) asking for the dog park to be rearranged to allow separate space for smallies, they'll eventually be listened to, especially if the Health and Safety aspect is mentioned!

I made this point on the corkage dog park Facebook page, I was told dogs don't differentiate sizes, then I found out mr dog whisperer head runs the page for the park, it's got no affiliation at all with the people who run it other than the name, said person is also the one running the doggy events, which last year was a disaster for any dog under knee height, I seen several dogs being attacked and trampled, his husky was one of the main culprits inside the dog run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Its illegal wherever you are so they don't need signs in one place where it applies everywhere except in the case where your dog is so well trained that it will do everything you say without hesitation.

More specifically the law says the dog has to be under your control at all times, if your dog wont return to you the first time you call it it's not under your control.

A lot of dog owners really need to be more considerate around other people. It's amazing how dog owners can talk about how it will affect other dogs but not other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That dog run is far too small anyway, the one in marlay is easily twice as big and probably a bit more. Ive stopped going to them as I find too many of the owners are a pain the hole. Everyone has an opinion on everyone else's dogs behavior. I have a greyhound cross who loves to run but when we go in he just trots along beside me, not afraid he seems to just not enjoy the place anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

yr one wrote: »
    I made this point on the corkage dog park Facebook page, I was told dogs don't differentiate sizes, then I found out mr dog whisperer head runs the page for the park, it's got no affiliation at all with the people who run it other than the name, said person is also the one running the doggy events, which last year was a disaster for any dog under knee height, I seen several dogs being attacked and trampled, his husky was one of the main culprits inside the dog run

That's really bad.... Your poor pup.
    To be told that dogs don't differentiate size pretty much illustrates the level of knowledge you're dealing with there.
    I would not use their facebook page to complain, I'd go to the top, and write directly to the head of parks, and the city manager (assuming Corkagh Park is council-run). Emphasise the danger your dog was in, but also the risk posed to you whilst trying to save your dog.
    Dog parks work well when there are some basic, sensible rules in place, and giving owners the option of dividing small dogs from big dogs is one of them.
    I can't say I blame you for avoiding that place now :-(

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Its illegal wherever you are so they don't need signs in one place where it applies everywhere except in the case where your dog is so well trained that it will do everything you say without hesitation.

More specifically the law says the dog has to be under your control at all times, if your dog wont return to you the first time you call it it's not under your control.

A lot of dog owners really need to be more considerate around other people. It's amazing how dog owners can talk about how it will affect other dogs but not other people.

I'd walk my dog away from the crowded areas, usually the first 15 mins are my dog running about like a looper, then she gets that buzz out if her system and will walk alongside me no problem, in the 2 years I've had her only once did I have a problem with a person, they called her, making a clicky kinda noise, then complained I hadn't got her under control while they were running past cause she tried to run with them?! She has amazing recall and won't go outside a boundary of about 35-40 feet away from me. The vast majority of people want to pet and play with her especially kids, but I always speak to them and their parents first to let them know to always ask the owner before touching the dog, it's just a precaution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'd walk my dog away from the crowded areas, usually the first 15 mins are my dog running about like a looper, then she gets that buzz out if her system and will walk alongside me no problem, in the 2 years I've had her only once did I have a problem with a person, they called her, making a clicky kinda noise, then complained I hadn't got her under control while they were running past cause she tried to run with them?! She has amazing recall and won't go outside a boundary of about 35-40 feet away from me. The vast majority of people want to pet and play with her especially kids, but I always speak to them and their parents first to let them know to always ask the owner before touching the dog, it's just a precaution

Some owners are responsible others aren't. Several times in my life I have been told that if you run away from a dog it's your fault that it chases you rather than the owner. That's not right.

DBB wrote: »
    That's really bad.... Your poor pup.
    To be told that dogs don't differentiate size pretty much illustrates the level of knowledge you're dealing with there.
    I would not use their facebook page to complain, I'd go to the top, and write directly to the head of parks, and the city manager (assuming Corkagh Park is council-run). Emphasise the danger your dog was in, but also the risk posed to you whilst trying to save your dog.
    Dog parks work well when there are some basic, sensible rules in place, and giving owners the option of dividing small dogs from big dogs is one of them.
    I can't say I blame you for avoiding that place now :-(

I know, I put it to him one of the days stating which do you think would hurt more a punch from a child or a punch from mike Tyson.. He just stared blankly.

Honestly though I will bring her into the dog park, only when their is smaller dogs or pups of bigger breeds, with the pups it's kinda so they can get used to smaller adult dogs that don't want to be wrestled, she will tell them off before they touch her and that way the pup learns boundaries. She wouldn't snap or bite, just a bark to let them know she doesn't want to play rough..

I'm by far one of the lucky ones with my dog, I was there one day (walking along outside the dog park) and a huskie was brought in and immediately ran towards the other dogs only their was one smallie, it was a yorkie, the dog yelped and then the huskie proceeded to pick it up and run around with it, no one could catch the dog, then it threw the yorkie into the air and that was it.. The yorkie was mauled, blood everywhere and the owner in hysterics. They ran to the carpark near the Naas road and from my assumption went to a vet. The owner of the huskie was gone sharpish, lead on and in the direction of the playground entrance, I heard afterwards that the yorkie died. Not sure what happened with the complaints etc.. Obviously didn't have that much of an impact, park is still the exact same only some bark at the gate instead of a swamp now..

My dog (about 5kg) received some nasty cuts to her neck and a broken tail bone when a lurcher in the dog park picked her up like a rag doll, everything was fine till this dog arrived, straight away it ran right at her.

The woman that owns this lurcher would be good friends with the muppet that calls himself the dog whisperer, he's constantly telling people what to do, not even advising them, literally forcing his opinion down their throat.

The thing that annoyed me most about that was the woman that owned the lurcher, when I went to get my dog she insisted her dog was PLAYING!!! she wouldn't restrain her dog, so I'm not ashamed to say it I grabbed her dog right up under its neck and squeezed as hard as I could, it dropped my pup and ran crying, then this fool has the audacity to complain that I hurt her dog!!! She's lucky it didn't have one of my shoes stuck up its hole!!!

My dog was about 6 months old and after that I spent hours at training and classes to try and calm her nerves around other dogs, she's still nervous around greyhounds and lurchers, but has a little confidence where she will bark and tell them off rather than cower into a ball

I know exactly how you feel, something similar happened to me with a husky on two separate occasions. The owner didn't do a thing, he just stood there as his dog chased and flipped my dogs while they were squealing.

Fair enough his dog looked like it was enjoying itself, but mine certainly were not. Wish I knew better back then I would have dealt with it differently.

And I know the chap you're talking about! It wasn't his dog that was bothering mine though.

Utter BS that dogs don't differentiate size. For example at the place I work at there is this huge mastiff cross who loves a bit of rough and tumble with dogs his size (neck grabbing, paw slapping that sorta thing!). But he even was playing with a tiny yorkie and a JRT before, he play bowed and lifted his paws at them as he rolled around, but he NEVER touched them. And that is just ONE example I have given, I have many, many more.

GarIT wrote: »
    Some owners are responsible others aren't. Several times in my life I have been told that if you run away from a dog it's your fault that it chases you rather than the owner. That's not right.

I know what you mean, I understand people are afraid of dogs, I don't disagree, with you in any way, it's all about having a bond and control with your dog.

I've seen it several times! The same person who calls the dog and it doesn't return is the one that thinks strangling it with the lead will keep it in order. It doesn't work like that, their has to be a level of respect, they're living creatures with brains, shouting and beating them won't control it. I've often confronted people about it also, between dogs being strangled cause they stopped for a moment or whipped with the lead because they didn't return when called?!? The same people don't bother to pick up after their dogs.. I always offer a bag if I cross someone who's blatantly going to walk away. From experience I can tell immediately who forgot the bags and who couldn't be bothered

Majority of people don't realise they're the problem not the dog, the dog will behave how it's thought to

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Thanks for all the replies! I do know what people are talking about regarding the size difference in dogs. Funnily enough my border terrier cross much prefers to play with the big dogs but its the number of dogs that makes her nervous in the dog parks as opposed to the dogs themselves.

I think its ridiculous that dog owners cannot let our dog off in parks because of the carelessness of dog owners of aggressive dogs! I used to own a Tibetan Terrier who I did not trust. And plain a simple, because I did not trust her, I would not let her off where other people were! But to punish ALL dog owners "just in case" they happen to be aggressive is just frustrating! We know our dogs and we do what is best for them!

Advertisement