Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite

Options
  • 29-05-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

howdy, moved house recently.. in the old house we had one of the free satellite viewers, not sure if its free to air or freeview, i know theres a difference..

Anyways, moved house, theres a sky satellite on the new place (as there was in the old place) and it seems to be pointing in the direction of all the other sky satellites in the area.. but im not getting a signal..

any help would be appreciated..
    I have asked a friend to come and align it as its job, but it seems im having no luck with him coming over, ive been waiting over a month.

Tried an android app to do it, but can figure it out.

cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Normally if you had a sky dish you can use your old sky box to receive free to air channels which are quite alot. For example i have sky now at home, if i was to take out the viewing card id get the free to air channels still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭0rt

ive never been signed up with sky.. the dishes were just on the houses when i moved in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

What box are you using? If your using a sky box as said you will receive a small few channels, if you are using a freeview box then the dish needs realigning.

its a freeview box.
    im seeing can i track down the fella that installed it the first time..
    Is there a limit as to how much coax can be used... i.e. is there a "too much" in lenght before the signal drops?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

0rt wrote: »
    its a freeview box.
    Is there a limit as to how much coax can be used... i.e. is there a "too much" in lenght before the signal drops?

freeview works from an aerial you need a free to air satellite box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭mikeecho

its a freeview box.

Freeview = TV Aerial

FreeSat = Sat dish

Get yourself a skybox or other type of satellite receiver www.freesat.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

If it's pointing the other way then it might not be a 'Sky' satellite dish. It could possibly be a Polish dish that some Polish families installed just to get their old channels.

I could be wrong but it's strange that it's different from the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

howdy, moved house recently.. in the old house we had one of the free satellite viewers, not sure if its free to air or freeview, i know theres a difference..

Anyways, moved house, theres a sky satellite on the new place (as there was in the old place) and it seems to be pointing in the direction of all the other sky satellites in the area.. but im not getting a signal..

any help would be appreciated..
    I have asked a friend to come and align it as its job, but it seems im having no luck with him coming over, ive been waiting over a month.

Tried an android app to do it, but can figure it out.

cheers in advance.

The difference between 28 (UK Ireland ASTRA) and say 19 (GERMAN) degrees east is very hard to spot with the naked eye at a distance. I'd say you'll need to get up to it and tweak it slightly across the east-west plane.

AS for the coax- a signal will easily make 30 metres (100 feet) of bog standard lightly shielded cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Is there an LNB on the front of the dish? Does it still work?

Regards...jmcc

there is an LNB, its a 4 port jobby.

I ment freesat, not freeview, in the last house it was connected to the sky dish which was aligned with Skys astra satellite.
    This house's last occupants also had sky.

I cant imagine the dish was blown out of sync.

If someone here has the ability to line it up theres a few quid in it for them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

some great advice on how to do it here... use the compass on your smart phone

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055761436

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Try tuning in a transponder from Astra 1 or Hotbird to see if you get anything. That way you will know what satellite you are on if any. Two transponders to try below

Astra 1: 10.744 H 22.0 2/3

Hotbird: 12.597 V 27.5 3/4

Advertisement