Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submissive urination

• 29-05-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,

My young dog Shade (he just turned 1 earlier this month) is terrible for rolling over on his back and urinating. He suffers with his nerves anyway and hides behind me when new people approach him (I don't reward him for this, I just ignore him if he hides as I don't want to give him a reaction.)
    Sometimes even when we call him to come over to us, he rolls over and pees himself! Is there anyway to train him not to do this? I asked the vet about it a few months ago and was told he would grow out of it, but he's a year old now!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It is something that many, but not all youngsters grow out of.
    First of all, he needs to learn that your attention disappears as soon as he starts to roll over... Do not wait until he's on his back and peeing! The second he starts to roll, say (very calmly) "no pee" or some other verbal marker, stand up, turn around and walk away. You need to be very consistent with this.
    Secondly, teach him an alternative way to greet you and others. Does he sit on command? If not, teach him! Use food to reward him. As he approaches you, ask him to sit. If he sits, he gets a reward. If he attempts to roll over, do as above.
    Dogs will learn to discriminate that parking their butt gets them a nice, rewarding greeting, but rolling over to pee causes you to withdraw everything.
    Be aware that leaning over a shy pup, or staring at them, or getting excited around them, will increase the chances of submissive urination, so when greeting him, you and visitors should turn sideways, get down on your hunkers, and offer him an outstretched hand to sniff at whilst glancing at him or watching him out of the corner of your eye.
    If you've been out and you're returning home, get into the habit of not greeting him, but going straight out to the garden with him so that he empties his bladder. Once that's done, now you can greet him as above!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cocobubbles

Great advice DBB thanks a mil!! :D

Advertisement