Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth? Lets all give one piece of advise/help

• 29-05-2014 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21

Can somebody please help me out for MACBETH?
    I was thinking of covering the following topics

•Theme of Kingship
    •Theme of good/evil
    •Lady Macbeth
    •Banquo
    •Macbeth

The only thing is I find studying Macbeth really really hard? Please can anyone post any study tips/key points/key quotes/summary on any of the above topics? Anything at all would be appreciated.

I know barely anything for it, it's so frustrating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

This could be dangerously misleading, but since we're less than a week away I'll give you these. Our teacher gave us a list of ninety or so quotes on Macbeth for various theme's and subjects. I distilled them down into thirty or so which should stand to you for the character question. If you want more take them from Macbeth's soliloquies.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Ey9GYKo2I3dy1GZHdPQmNUbDA/edit?usp=sharing

Most of them are general enough to argue either way. Good luck!

EDIT: Just realised I missed a rather important quote from Act 1, Scene 7: I have given suck, and know/ how tender 'tis to love the babe that milks me -/ I would, while it was smiling in my face,/ Have plucked my nipple from his boneless gums,/ And dashed the brains out, had I so sworn. -- L. Macbeth

This is important for several reasons:
    - As far as we know, Macbeth has no children. Lady Macbeth (historically) was a widow, and possibly had a child by her first husband. Another intereptation says Macbeth is impotent; another says their child has died already.
    - Lady Macbeth is utterly remorseless, unlike Macbeth who never fully loses his humanity
    - Relationships between father and son are a repeating theme in Macbeth: Malcolm and Donalbain are framed for their father's murder, as is Fleance. Macduff's son is killed by Macbeth's command. There are even a few theories based around Fleance being Lady Macbeth's son or Macbeth being Fleance's biological father, but these are not normally considered.

Advertisement