Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cash my cheque while I'm abroad?

Options
  • 29-05-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Few months ago I left IE leaving my bank account open as I was expecting my tax back to be transferred into my account. Despite giving them my bank number, tax office sent me a cheque. 
    I'm not planning to visit Dublin within next few months, so how can I transfer it to my bank account? After doing so I would like to close my account down. Should I send you an original cheque via post with a copy of my ID? I have a good few friends living in Dublin so maybe I should send it over  with a copy of ID and some authorisation letter? Any idea what to do now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi lumark

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

It is possible for you send this cheque by post to your account holding branch. When the cheque is received, staff will be more than happy to lodge this for you.

Along with the cheque, we would ask you to send a cover letter with your instruction to lodge cheque and close the account once the cheque has cleared for you. It is not necessary to send copies of photo identification.

Within the letter request, please provide your banking details, contact number and signature and how you would like the balance forwarded to you. 

You can request an electronic transfer to another bank, your branch will need the relevant banking information of the receiving bank account, for example, account number, sort code, IBAN, BIC, name on bank account, bank name and address. If you prefer a bank draft, please advise who the draft should be made payable to.

Just to mention, a Bank of Ireland cheque it will take 3 working days to clear on your account and a non-Bank of Ireland cheque takes 5 working days.

The address and contact details for all of our branches can be found here

If you have set up for eStatements online, please ensure to switch back to paper statements before the account is closed to avail of your closing account statement in the post.

We hope the information helps. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement