Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord advice needed. Looking to possibly sell

Options
  • 29-05-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice.

I own an apartment that I currently have rented out to tenants who are in the apartment a year (Lease expires in May). The tenants have expressed an interest to remain in the property at the current rate, I have no problem with this as they are excellent tenants, however as property prices are slowly but surely starting to increase I may be interested in looking to advertise and sell the apartment in the next 12 months. I havent looked into this further or advertised at present, nor have I re-signed the lease with the current tenant.

So im just wondering how do I go about this so the tenant is aware of my intentions. Do I inform the tenant that I am happy to sign the lease but make them aware that within the term of the lease (12 months time) that I may sell the apartment. Do I need to draw up a new lease which stipulates this? How would viewings work if there was interest in the apartment and the tenants were living there etc etc? The first thing I want to do is get it valued and see if im still in NE, if im not or im close to it then I would be interested in selling.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

allybhoy wrote: »
    Looking for advice.

I own an apartment that I currently have rented out to tenants who are in the apartment a year (Lease expires in May). The tenants have expressed an interest to remain in the property at the current rate, I have no problem with this as they are excellent tenants, however as property prices are slowly but surely starting to increase I may be interested in looking to advertise and sell the apartment in the next 12 months. I havent looked into this further or advertised at present, nor have I re-signed the lease with the current tenant.

So im just wondering how do I go about this so the tenant is aware of my intentions. Do I inform the tenant that I am happy to sign the lease but make them aware that within the term of the lease (12 months time) that I may sell the apartment. Do I need to draw up a new lease which stipulates this? How would viewings work if there was interest in the apartment and the tenants were living there etc etc? The first thing I want to do is get it valued and see if im still in NE, if im not or im close to it then I would be interested in selling.

Thanks in advance

You should phone the ptrb. They will tell you where you stand & how to go about informing the Tennant.

A lot of landlord's think that the prtb are only there to look after the Tennants rights but in actual fact they are there to advise both the Tennant & the landlord. They are quite fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Do you particularly want to put a new fixed term lease in place? If not, my understanding is that you don't have to, and the tenants continue with a part 4 tendency.
    You can make them aware that it's a possibility

Advertisement