Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a computer to spec

Options
  • 29-05-2014 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Don't normally frequent the tech forum but I'm wondering if youse have any advice regarding getting a computer to certain specifications? A list of some reputable companies who would build to our spec would be really helpful - checked out custompc.ie but it all looks too good to be true and a little on the expensive side also -

I need a computer capable of virtual machine for continuing to run XP beside win7 or 8.1 as much of our software is outdated. Also need a creative sound card with internal card/external box for inputs - and a decent amount of memory and processing. Tried a local computer store and to say their knowledge was lacking is an understatement. So I'm a little nervous of approaching the unknown. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Is updating the existing software ruled out? At this stage using such old software not only begins to add complication to setup but takes away from potential benefit to be gained from newer versions of the software that has added functionality, streamlined productivity, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Overheal wrote: »
    Is updating the existing software ruled out? At this stage using such old software not only begins to add complication to setup but takes away from potential benefit to be gained from newer versions of the software that has added functionality, streamlined productivity, etc

Hi Overheal

No I actually will update the software just certain files won't be compatible anymore - So I need to run XP on a virtual machine to access them if needed - also having XP there will help with the overall transistion to 7 or 8 (have been using XP for years) I would need at least 2gb of ram available for the virtual machine, so I'd be looking at 8gb + in total and a decent processor too -

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

8gb would be fine, and if you dont need to run the VBox frequently then it shouldnt be an issue.

Sounds like the specs are pretty par for the course really, I would just buy the requsite soundcard and install it yerselves, everything else is off the shelf, no need to have it customized or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Overheal wrote: »
    8gb would be fine, and if you dont need to run the VBox frequently then it shouldnt be an issue.

Sounds like the specs are pretty par for the course really, I would just buy the requsite soundcard and install it yerselves, everything else is off the shelf, no need to have it customized or anything

Thanks Overheal that was my initial thinking just getting boggled...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

PC building and upgrading forum and fill out the initial sticky!

• Advertisement
Advertisement