Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical card review process to stop immediately

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Turtwig wrote: »
    Fair enough I didn't check the sums. The point still holds. The higher income, the more money a minority of leeches can defraud the state.

If you spent ten years on the dole you'd still wouldn't match a person who evades a 100k in taxes in a single year.

How many people are evading paying 100k tax a year? How many people are claiming dole and working? I would bet there is more fraud on the dole side. How many "single mothers" have their boyfriends living there while he works and she claims her money? How many travelers claiming money for kids they don't even have? Again no one will say who the "better off" are or even how much they should pay but sure as **** stinks they will let you know who the worse off are :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

bumper234 wrote: »
    And i feel that someone who has been on the dole for the last 15 years can take a cut. I feel someone who has been on the dole for 10 years or even 5 years can take a cut. Does that make me right? Who are these "better off" that you speak of?

Ah cmon Bumper you know some people are better off than others right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Problem, is if you "equalise" cuts the middle income spectrum and those near it get squeezed the most.

Disproportionately cutting is unfair and screams bias or begrudgery. Thing is pain of paying is disproportionate if you cut equally percentages from everyone. Which highest pain falling on middle income bands and those just above the lowest tax thresholds.

Politically though having water charges and the like disportinately distributed according to wealth is suicide!

I know the middle have been squeezed the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

My bother in law had to appeal to get a card, even though he had a year to live.

His widow now has to appeal.

The stories are real, and they are happening out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Ah cmon Bumper you know some people are better off than others right?

Of course some are better off than others, That's what happens when you live in a democratic society. I went to college and worked my tits off to get where i am today, does that mean i shouldn't be better of than someone who has been on the dole for the last ten years?

To quote you from the other thread
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    They go on and on about cuts needed ect but when it comes to a certain socio-economic group taking more cuts they're against it.

It seems it's only one "socio-economic group" that should take the cuts though right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

ebbsy wrote: »
    My bother in law had to appeal to get a card, even though he had a year to live.

His widow now has to appeal.

The stories are real, and they are happening out there.

Sorry to read your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Just reading this on RTE (Enda is on the case)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0531/620844-medical-card/
    He said he accepted that the bureaucratic approach affects people.
    He questioned if the regime is to be changed for the two million people in receipt of a medical card based on means.
    He also asked if health resources should be allocated on the basis of need or should there be a universal health system.
    Two million, is that right? Plus those on discrtionary cards? Thats half the population. Wouldn't we just save an awful lot of petty bureaucracy and have a system free at the point of need. I know they're looking at the German system and that wasn't right and the the Dutch but ....

Am I just the only one that thinks this, get rid of VHI, insurance companys, HSE bureacracy and make it free?

Maphisto wrote: »
    Just reading this on RTE (Enda is on the case)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0531/620844-medical-card/

Two million, is that right? Plus those on discrtionary cards? Thats half the population. Wouldn't we just save an awful lot of petty bureaucracy and have a system free at the point of need. I know they're looking at the German system and that wasn't right and the the Dutch but ....

Am I just the only one that thinks this, get rid of VHI, insurance companys, HSE bureacracy and make it free?

No you're not. And if you look at the requirements for getting a medical card based on means, it's absolutely clear that a huge number of people are cheating the system. Everyone knows medical cards are a vote management system - right? Your TD gets you a medical card, you vote for him and her.

It's rotten to the core. Far better to throw it away and create a system free at point of delivery. It depresses me that the public campaign has simply had a return to yesterday as its objective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Maphisto wrote: »
    Sorry to read your post.

Not everybody is entitled to a medical card, but when I hear kids with down syndrome having to fight for them then we have lost our way morally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Just for information, the review has not stopped, at least in my case.

I sent in the form which is online, following a request from HSE, in early May. Last week I got a letter asking for a whole slew of information, in addition to what I has supplied. When I phoned the 1890 number and asked was the tax assessment I had supplied not sufficient, I was told it was out of date (despite it being the latest I had received!!) all the data they need has to be less than three months old!!

I can understand why they ask for latest information to assess whether your income has changed, but I am retired so it is unlikely that my income will have changed, (unless I won the lotto?).

Anyway, I was told that if I didn't supply the information requested by end June my card would be withdrawn. So, be warned.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Is your card a discretionary card?

I got it when I was 70, I didn't do nothing, honest. It just turned up. It ran out a while back so I went on a web site and got a new one... the one that will be withdrawn on June 30th if I don't budge up with some numbers, part of the review I was "selected" for. I did say on the 1890 phone "gimme a GP card" if that is the option - no, we have to review you was the answer. Alice in Wonderland stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭GaelMise

The root of this fiasco was a decision taken initially by FF government to centralise the administration of the medical card scheme to an office in Dublin. Previously this work was done locally in each local HSE community services offices where staff were accustomed to dealing with such cases in a reasonable and sympathetic way - local knowledge and local access for families affected etc.

Hardily without its peoblems, one of the biggest faults of that system is that it was all about who you know, with friends and family of those working there getting much better outcomes than those unknown or disliked. Not to mention that there was a wide varibility in how it was implemented from area to area.

The current system is far from perfect, but can be improved, in a situation where funds are limited, the current set up probably has a better chance of getting funding to where it's needed most without disadvantage by location or favouritism.

Advertisement