Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordinary Level maths need help

• 29-05-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I need serious help in maths we did a mock exam 2 weeks ago and I got 22% in paper 1 and 54% in paper two for an overall grade of 38 %. I need maths for my course I just need to pass dropping to foundation is not an option, can anyone give me tips on what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

I need serious help in maths we did a mock exam 2 weeks ago and I got 22% in paper 1 and 54% in paper two for an overall grade of 38 %. I need maths for my course I just need to pass dropping to foundation is not an option, can anyone give me tips on what to do.

In the same boat myself, although getting 38% in a mock you should be alright for the real thing. Mocks are usually marked harder. You get marks for everything on the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭matthew the statue

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    In the same boat myself, although getting 38% in a mock you should be alright for the real thing. Mocks are usually marked harder. You get marks for everything on the real thing.
    I think this mock was marked fairly which is scary I just open the book and cant do any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Get more answers right

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

The best thing you can do it keep doing past papers. Also of your really stuck on something check out the Kahn Academy. Might learn you a few things

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Get more answers right
    No need to act like an ass

• Advertisement

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    The best thing you can do it keep doing past papers. Also of your really stuck on something check out the Kahn Academy. Might learn you a few things

The problem is I cant do them. Il check out the khan academy thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

No need to act like an ass

You're right, my bad. But your not going to find a magic solution on the internet, hitting the books is the only way I'm afraid.

But here's a tip. If you can't find the answer to a question, just make it up. For example if you can't find the answer to part one, but you need the answer for part 2, just say "assuming the answer to part 1 was 10, here's how you do part 2" don't just stop at part one. You'll get full marks if you can do part 2 even with the wrong answer to pt1.

And if you can't answer a question, just write everything you know about the subject. For example if there's a differentiation question, and you have no idea how to answer it, just put the product rule, the quotient rule and every other thing differentiation related to diferentiation you can think of on the page. I know it seems stupid, but you'll pick up marks.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    You're right, my bad. But your not going to find a magic solution on the internet, hitting the books is the only way I'm afraid.

But here's a tip. If you can't find the answer to a question, just make it up. For example if you can't find the answer to part one, but you need the answer for part 2, just say "assuming the answer to part 1 was 10, here's how you do part 2" don't just stop at part one. You'll get full marks if you can do part 2 even with the wrong answer to pt1.

And if you can't answer a question, just write everything you know about the subject. For example if there's a differentiation question, and you have no idea how to answer it, just put the product rule, the quotient rule and every other thing differentiation related to diferentiation you can think of on the page. I know it seems stupid, but you'll pick up marks.
    I know I wont find a magic solution but any tips to pick up marks are appreciated thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Usually it's not so much that people don't know how to do the questions in Maths, they do (and have probably practised countless times in class), but they fail to recognise which method is being asked for in a question in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

spurious wrote: »
    Usually it's not so much that people don't know how to do the questions in Maths, they do (and have probably practised countless times in class), but they fail to recognise which method is being asked for in a question in the exam.

Agree with this so much, I'll look at an exam question by myself and by reading it, it makes no sense at all, but then when my grinds teacher runs through it with me I'm all like "Ohhhhh you mean these kind of maths"

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

Thats not me we had a **** teacher who did not show us methods.

Advertisement