Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom.

Options
  • 29-05-2014 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

Three times today, my OH took a call from " Eircom" the bill is in my name.
    They just rang again, and asked for me by name, the conversation started with

" hi this is Jill from Telecom, we are getting a number of complaints in the area about high Bills, does this effect you "

Smelling a Rat, I asked who exactly do you work for,

"Pure Telecom,"

So why did you tell my OH you were from Eircom,

No we did not, we said Telecom,

How many people will/ have fallen for this misinterpretation of a Business name, and perhaps hand over Bank details and find out they have switched supplier.

Last Month I had the same scam call, from an Asian guy working for Pure Telecom, he would not let me get a word in, eventually I had to tell him to stop talking, and tell me who he was working for....Same Crowd.

Be careful,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

All phone companies tried the cold calling/hard sell.

I was with Pure for years and they had good rates and I never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I doubt that there was an intentional effort to mislead. Eircom stopped being called Telecom Eireann fifteen years ago. The word 'Telecom' appears in the names of many Irish telecommunications companies.

E.G.
    Smart Telecom
    Gaelic Telecom
    IFA Telecom
    Access Telecom
    Imagine Telecom
    Pure Telecom
    and about a dozen others listed on the regulators site.

Though I have no doubt that use every sales trick in the book to persuade you to sign over and personally I hate telesales calls, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a scam. If their rates are better, then move to them, if not, don't move. They are not permitted to take over your account without either your written permission or an audio recorded consent using a third party verification company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I doubt that there was an intentional effort to mislead. Eircom stopped being called Telecom Eireann fifteen years ago. The word 'Telecom' appears in the names of many Irish telecommunications companies.

E.G.
    Smart Telecom
    Gaelic Telecom
    IFA Telecom
    Access Telecom
    Imagine Telecom
    Pure Telecom
    and about a dozen others listed on the regulators site.

Though I have no doubt that use every sales trick in the book to persuade you to sign over and personally I hate telesales calls, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a scam. If their rates are better, then move to them, if not, don't move. They are not permitted to take over your account without either your written permission or an audio recorded consent using a third party verification company.

I disagree, any caller that introduces herself as '' Jill from Telecom'' is up to no good.

My OH called me to the phone, saying ''it's for you, it's Eircom''

The previous caller last month, told me he had a better plan for me, having examined my call history.

If I were vulnerable, or elderly, perhaps I would fall for this, and agree to a change of Plan, and end up with another supplier

I have no real problem with telesales calls, but don't try to mislead me by introducing yourself as being from, Telecom, which rhymes with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭AMCCORK

No They do def try to mislead I have had them on the phone more than once. they say somthing like I am calling from your telephone provider and looking to reduce your bills. I specifically asked are you from eircom and evade the question and say soemthing like we are looking at your bills and want want to reduce the charge. I think the phrases were we want to reduce your eircom bill for you. I had to push and push to get them to admit they were calling from pure telecom.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've had a similar experience. You have to push for them to admit they are not Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

martinn123 wrote: »
    I disagree, any caller that introduces herself as '' Jill from Telecom'' is up to no good.

My OH called me to the phone, saying ''it's for you, it's Eircom''

The previous caller last month, told me he had a better plan for me, having examined my call history.

If I were vulnerable, or elderly, perhaps I would fall for this, and agree to a change of Plan, and end up with another supplier

I have no real problem with telesales calls, but don't try to mislead me by introducing yourself as being from, Telecom, which rhymes with Eircom.

Fair enough. Between what you say and the couple of posts that follow it, it does seem that Pure Telecom are deliberately trying to confuse people into thinking they are from or at least associated with Eircom. Which serves as a good example of why I dislike sales calls. It is a shame that they resort to these means, because their actual rates may well be less than you are currently on and they have been in business for over a decade but it would be difficult to trust them after a suspicious start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

In my experience people can and do refer to the main provider of anything when they should be referring to their actual provider. Have you ever heard people on the radio complaining of having to pay their 'ESB' and it transpires they're with one of the other companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Bumping this up because I've just had a call from Pure Telecom.

I thought initially they said they were from Eircom, then they started asking me about what phone company I was with. When I said - you rang me, you tell me, she told me that she wanted to know. It was when I asked who she was from she said Pure Telecom.

Apparently they had bought my details from another company.

Now, we are on the Eircom cold calling Opt-out so we shouldn't be getting calls like this - the information was definitely taken from the Eircom directory. I know by the way she asked for me.

I wasn't happy with the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Zombie thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement