Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret Life of Cats programme.

• 29-05-2014 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I don't know if it's a repeat but bank holiday monday at 9pm on ITV it's on, if you need a fix of cute kitties:)

Comments

It was definitely interesting its funny how there has hardly been any study of this in the past despite it being on our own door step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Just a reminder that it's on tonight. It's not a repeat of the other programme:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Oooh definitely going to give this a watch later!

I absolutely love when shows focus on the bahaviour of animals we think we are overly familiar with instead of the more exotic foreign animals. I remember watching one years and years ago about the domestic rat that was absolutely fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Oooh definitely going to give this a watch later!

I absolutely love when shows focus on the bahaviour of animals we think we are overly familiar with instead of the more exotic foreign animals. I remember watching one years and years ago about the domestic rat that was absolutely fascinating.

There was a really cool one a few months ago where they attached trackers on a load of domestic cats in one village. It was amazing seeing how they constructed their boundaries and territory with other cats around.

There was a really cool one a few months ago where they attached trackers on a load of domestic cats in one village. It was amazing seeing how they constructed their boundaries and territory with other cats around.

I saw that one, it was really interesting. This one is different though, more stories than cameras I think:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

I think I am in heaven with all of these cats!! ;)

And I never knew that they didn't like having their feet touched, I feel guilty now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just blinked at Ducksworth, she turned around and jumped in Mrs.Crinklewoods lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

fascinating doc, thanks for the heads up o.p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

We need a cat cafe here ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hamish MacHamish looks very Scottish.

• Advertisement

Yes! Where is this place? I must visit it :)

blueturnip wrote: »
    Yes! Where is this place? I must visit it :)

I think its in London. I don't think we'll ever be so lucky.

Yes appears to be. Have tried their website but appears to be down, too many people visiting! :)

Cat Cafe

Oh well, will just need to take a trip to London! Or New York or Singapore according to Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

blueturnip wrote: »

And I never knew that they didn't like having their feet touched, I feel guilty now!

I'm tickling the feet of one of my cats at the moment and she's purring away. I went to remove my hand and she grabbed it so that I would continue. No need for you to feel guilty.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme and seeing cats interaction with other animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I remember something along those lines alright. Saw one today no idea if it was a repeat. Herself was crying at the sight of kittens. I think the guide cat might have pushed her over the edge if she hadn't already gone to the other room to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Any way to see this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Mark Oxford

Mo60 wrote: »
    I'm tickling the feet of one of my cats at the moment and she's purring away. I went to remove my hand and she grabbed it so that I would continue. No need for you to feel guilty.

I thoroughly enjoyed the programme and seeing cats interaction with other animals.

With most cats I am aquatinted with ,the feet are a no go area, they whip the claws out and discourage any activity in that region,I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We were lucky to be able to visit Lady Dinah's Cat Emporium in April and it is a great idea! All the cats were very happy and living in luxury. Patrons are told to leave sleeping cats lie and not to pick them up, so the cats can relax in peace if they want, or equally, to play endlessly! The amount of toys and nooks for sleeping would make any cat happy :)

It is a fine template for future cat cafes to work from

Here's some pics!

Carbonelle being a torment to Indiana for the much sought after hammock (apparently the gingers believe the should have the monopoly on it!)
    Pest.jpg

After fight chill session
    Relaxing Cats.jpg

It's difficult to have any papers on a table without a committee meeting!
    Cats Table.jpg

Loki having a snooze
    Loki Snooze.jpg

And the rose and citrus cake is to die for!!
    Rose Cake.jpg

I'm kind of in 2 minds about Cat Cafes. I wonder how happy the cats really are with so many of them in such a very small territory. I've seen a few programmes on Cat Cafes over the past year or so and they tend to focus on the cuteness of the cats and how the customers enjoy their visits. I don't know, as I said I just wonder if the cats are happy or if there's a lot of stress and tension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm kind of in 2 minds about Cat Cafes. I wonder how happy the cats really are with so many of them in such a very small territory. I've seen a few programmes on Cat Cafes over the past year or so and they tend to focus on the cuteness of the cats and how the customers enjoy their visits. I don't know, as I said I just wonder if the cats are happy or if there's a lot of stress and tension.
    Maybe they're sponsored by Feliway :)

On another slightly connected thing, I remember back in my youth in England that it was quite common for pubs to have resident cats and/or dogs that would wander around the place, and sometimes come up to customers and let them make a fuss of them. They were almost part of the furniture as it were. Sadly that seems to be becoming less and less common which is a shame. I see the same in B&B's where the family pets are hidden away in a back room somewhere, presumably in case any of the residents take 'offence'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

I initially thought the same as I was very conscious about the cats welfare, however I was pleasantly surprised, although the fact that the cats get on with each other so well is that the majority are all from the same litter! There were lots of nooks for cats to get away from it all and not be bothered. Visitors are limited in numbers to time slots too so that it's not too crowded.

None of the cats were stressed when we were there at all (a few cats we didnt even see as they were curled up in nooks asleep/relaxing and not bothered either by humans or other felines)and I think they close for an hour/two during the day to let the cats chill out.

Advertisement