Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaney Question

• 29-05-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey I'm having trouble understanding what the 'sense of place' in Heaney's poetry entails. Would anyone be able to explain it please? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Sense of place is basically the setting/atmosphere I believe :) our teacher absolutely adored Heaney so :p anyways for example you could say in an answer that the strong sense of place present in Heaney's poetry is what distinguishes his body of work from other poets. So take 'A Constable Calls' and 'Mossabawn(Sunlight)' for example -
    These poems can be compared and are similar because they both have a strong sense of place and take place in the Heaney family home. Of course in 'Sunlight'
    There's a warm atmosphere, quite a negative atmosphere in ACC because it's so impersonal. But yeah, these poems would first come to mind when thinking of sense of place, just my take on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

A 'sense of place' could also be found in 'the skunk'. There's lots of references to California with 'oranges', 'eucalyptus' and a 'verandah'. You could also refer to the sensuous description of it, quotes like' tang of eucalyptus/ mouthful of wine/ inhaling you off a cold pillow' all show this really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

You could definitely talk about the Tollund Man, the final line being particulary suitable

"Out in the man killing parishes of Tollund, Graubelle,Nebelgard
    I will feel lost lonely and at home"

Advertisement