Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lenovo laptop running slow after reinstall of Win 7

• 29-05-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

I have a Lenovo G575 laptop. It was full of spyware,malware and any kind of crap you could think of. So I did a clean reinstall of Windows 7. I am not sure if it had 64 or 32 bit installed initially, but I put 64 bit on it first, and when it was almost unusable, I tried the 32 bit version. It was marginally better, but it's still really torturous to use. Boot times aren't too bad, but opening Firefox, or Chrome or any program takes an age. And even sometimes when loading webpages, it hangs, as if it's running multiple programs in the background. It's like it hasn't enough ram to do any job it's asked.

It's about 2 1/2 years old. It has an AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.3 ghz. It's got 6gb of ram, and in the system specs it says it has 3.49gb of that ram useable.

I've uses ninite to install some basic programs, like Avast antivirus and winrar.

I've used all the necessary drivers from the Lenovo website. I can remember when it was new, and it flew along nicely. I know it's not a racing computer, but it's insufferable to use. And as I said, this is after a clean install.

Anyone have any ideas on what I'm missing. I did a root around the web to see if anything could enlighten me, but nothing seemed to fit the bill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well if you want to use all 6GB of RAM you'd want Windows to be 64-bit

I assume that RAM was an aftermarket installation, as no vendor in their right mind would pair 6GB with an E-300. I would hope.

Windows should be by design plenty stable after a clean formatted installation. Did you format the disk, or just install Windows on top of the existing installation? I would also re-seat the RAM modules if those were in fact installed aftermarket. Something else is wrong with the computer and it's not necessarily that the E-300 is well, quite low performance in general.

The reason I say an E-300 wouldn't be specced with 6GB of RAM is that much RAM implies heavy multitasking, and the E-300 is not built for heavy multitasking. Its really out on the market for basics, and basic usage. People who will browse the web with a few tabs open and play some music. It's not going to keel over if you do a research paper on it but it's not going to be very fast with MS Office, Browsers, and other files and PDFs open. The RAM isn't the bottleneck the CPU is, and as far as web page loading, think about web page Rendering: on the showroom floor you can usually spot a big difference in browser response and rendering times of say, an E-300, and an i5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I hate to say it, but yeah, it came out of the box with 6gb of ram in it. It wasn't fitted afterwards.

I know what you mean about the ram in relation to the cpu with regards to multitasking. I assume the 6gb of ram was a good selling point. However, with just a webpage open, it suffers. The page is often jerky in scrolling. But this used not be the case, even when it had other things open. Iirc, even Minecraft was played on it. Now, there's not a hope.

I deleted the partition, and created a new one when I installed windows, which meant I had to format it. Now unless some of the malware/spyware/crapware has done something more permanent to the hd, I'd have expected it to run a lot smoother than it is.

Unless that is the case, do you think something else could be causing it to be so slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,687 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Dust. Clean install on aged hardware, dust is Suspect One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I'll give it a clean out and see what happens.

Advertisement