Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Licence Renewal Letter - Breed Discrepancy

• 29-05-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Apparently, I own a pedigree Bullmastiff.
    I got a letter today from DCC, to remind me that the dog licence for the big boy is up for renewal. His licence states that he is a mastiff mix. However, the letter has his breed listed as Bullmastiff.
    I'm not really sure what to make of this. He's definitely not a Bullmastiff. His previous owner said Presa Canario, but he's most likely some type of crossbreed. He would probably be an RB under the vague term of Bandog. He is a mastiff x on his veterinary records, and is a crossbreed on his insurance policy...I told the insurance company when buying that he is a mastiff x. When they were satisfied that he was not a Bullmastiff, they insured him as a crossbreed.
    I'm wondering if there is any point in querying this detail, and to what extent it matters. He most likely falls under the RB list as a bandog anyway...this identifies him as a specific RB though. Should I be concerned as to the implications - from insurance (not that I've ever been asked for a licence off the insurance company) to potential further BSL initiatives? Additionally, even if he would be considered to be a bandog, I don't see why he should be listed as a particular breed, when he is not that breed. The letter says if any details are incorrect, to let them know.
    It's also interesting that, although the three licences were bought on the same day, I only received a letter with regard to him.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That seems odd alright.
    I would most certainly write to them, both email and on paper, to correct their records. It may never come to anything, but you just never know... It might! At least you'd have it on record that you had asked for an amendment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

DBB wrote: »
    That seems odd alright.
    I would most certainly write to them, both email and on paper, to correct their records. It may never come to anything, but you just never know... It might! At least you'd have it on record that you had asked for an amendment.

Yeah, it's strange. It can't even really be called an oversight as the Mastiff Cross that is written on the licence has lost the 'cross' and added a 'bull'! It would be like if my terrier crosses (as their licences say) were suddenly any random terrier breeds from Yorkshire Terriers to Staffordshire Bull Terriers.
    I'm going to draft a letter now and see what the situation is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

DCC responded quickly to my email and confirmed that, as requested, they will send me an amended renewal letter that states "crossbreed" as the breed.

Funnily, before I sent my email, the renewal letters for the terriers came in the post...each was listed as being a "terrier", so I made a point of this in my mail. On all the letters, the breed is written in Block capitals, and I'm starting to think that the licences may be put into a database that uses a drop down list of breeds, like on pet insurance websites, and that there isn't an option to put mastiff cross or terrier cross.
    It's still potentially a problem for people if Bullmastiff is lazily used to describe mastiff crossbreeds. If for example, I was a DCC tenant, it could mean that I was suddenly listed as having a breed that is most definitely prohibited. It seems to be a case of poor data entry (btw, this is just my guesswork, no explanation was offered in the response) rather than anything deliberate though.

Advertisement