Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse blind in one eye

Options
  • 29-05-2014 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I got a cob about a month ago, she's an 11 y/o and had been sitting in a field for the past few years, I was given her for free as the man who has her is too old to look after her now. She is blind in her left eye. I've been told that she hunted and everything previously, but she has not been ridden since becoming blind in the eye.
    She is very skittish, I've only been riding her around an outdoor sand ring. Noises really bother her, even the noise of the wind. She's very quiet and gentle but has no confidence anymore. Ive only been walking and trotting her so far. Any tips? Also I'm not a experienced rider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Really the only thing you can do is build up a trust with the horse before reintroducing her to new things (or rather, the same things in a different way now that she has only half her vision). Although I've never worked with a semi blind horse, I would imagine that they're quite nervous for the first while. How did she lose her sight? Was it through riding or illness or something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

My sisters friend had a horse that was blind in one eye. She had a problem with him stumbling when shr was riding him. However, you might not have the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It really depends on the horse and when/how they lost their sight. I remember coming across a race horse a few years ago that had only one eye. He won at least one point-to-point, so he was able to adapt pretty well.

As others have said, you're going to have to go back to basics with her and work with her as if you're starting off from scratch with a young horse. Obviously she'll be nervous of noises/things she can't see, especially when she had been able to see that point in the past, so you'll need to gain her trust and make her realise that she can have confidence in you.

This diagram may be of interest to you as it shows you the horse's vision and may explain why the mare is so anxious of noises/things she can't see.

fs_safety_diagram.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

The horse I learned to jump on was blind in one eye. This was about 25 years ago and the horse herself was young enough at the time, 4 I think. Don't really have any advice but just to say blind ponies can be brought on. Best of luck with her :)

Advertisement