Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad Mini or Ipad 2 / 3

• 29-05-2014 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

I cant decide between an ipad mini or the full size ipad,

Is the mini big enough to surf the web ???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

tech wrote: »

I have the mini and it's perfect for what I want. I use it most of the time for surfing, FB, twitter, boards... I also got a good stylus so I use it as a notebook, and the mini is the perfect size to use as a e-reader too. I've tried other peoples full sized ipads and tablets and to me they're too big.

Comes down to personal preference though. I prefer 13" laptops to bigger screens too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

cool thanks for reply! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 kriters8

I recommend ipad mini.
    I have a mini in hand,everything goes well now.The mini is big enough for your purpose,you know we offen use phone to surf,comparing with mini,oh,mini can't be great any more.
    What's more,mini is well take along.
    But if surfing is the main use purpose,why not buy a computer?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kriters8 wrote: »
    I recommend ipad mini.
    I have a mini in hand,everything goes well now.The mini is big enough for your purpose,you know we offen use phone to surf,comparing with mini,oh,mini can't be great any more.
    What's more,mini is well take along.
    But if surfing is the main use purpose,why not buy a computer?

Why buy a computer just to surf the internet?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 kriters8

whiterebel wrote: »
    Why buy a computer just to surf the internet?:confused:

I mean the mini is great enough for daily use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd wait until Mondays keynote. That's a great chance that iOS 8 won't run on the iPad 2 perhaps the 3 and quite possibly the iPad mini non-retina display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I've the iPad 3 and when the time comes to replace it I'll be getting a mini. It's a bit big and awkward in comparison to it. I gave up trying to use it as an e-reader because of the bulk, though of course that's not why I bought it. I've also tried some of the apps I use on the smaller screen and they're not suffering from the shrink in screen size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I feel like the odd one out here, but I love bigger screens. I don't feel like you're ever left wanting more with the size of the iPad 3/4 or Air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Zcott wrote: »
    I feel like the odd one out here, but I love bigger screens. I don't feel like you're ever left wanting more with the size of the iPad 3/4 or Air.

It's really down to personal preference. I like my full-sized iPad a lot but maybe what I use it for doesn't make the larger screen as important :)

OP, the best advice I can give you is to pop into a shop that has iPads on display and play around with them. See what you like best. I'd advice against getting an iPad 2 though.

next question is 16gig to small with some apps/ music and odd film?

• Advertisement

64UL4P.jpg

That's my usage on a 32 gb ipad.

Pocket casts has 5 apple keynotes in it at approx 800mb each.

Live in the womb is a single app that beautiful but it's 1gb in size.

16gb is not enough IMO.

hmm goin by that 16gig is low so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

In short, yes. 32gb IMO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You could buy something like a Kingston WiDrive with the difference. I have a 32GB one which connects via WiFi to iPad, iPhone etc. 16Gb on the iPad would be fine then. Only thing to watch out for on the WiDrive is to have the correct file type to makes rue it plays back correctly.

489 for 32 gig mini Retina

hmm is it worth the extra 90e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

489 for 32 gig mini Retina

hmm is it worth the extra 90e

Yep.

bought!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'd wait until Mondays keynote. That's a great chance that iOS 8 won't run on the iPad 2 perhaps the 3 and quite possibly the iPad mini non-retina display.

I'd be surprised if the IP2 was left unsupported. It's still widely available for purchase. I could be wrong but I just think that the 2 was so popular, has no issues on ios7, and is stiill a more than capable tablet, I just think the old girl has a bit of fight left in her yet:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dodzy wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the IP2 was left unsupported. It's still widely available for purchase. I could be wrong but I just think that the 2 was so popular, has no issues on ios7, and is stiill a more than capable tablet, I just think the old girl has a bit of fight left in her yet:)

Apple confirmed at WWDC at that the iPad 2 will be supported by iOS 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Apple confirmed at WWDC at that the iPad 2 will be supported by iOS 8.

Yeah CG suggesting devices currently on sale from Apple mightn't be supported was a bit strange.

• Advertisement

iPad 2 was discontinued on March 18, 2014. I thought apple would have been aggressive in removing it from support but I was wrong.

It's a shame because my mini retina (which iOS 7 sometimes struggles - in comparison to other times running latest OS' on latest hardware - I'd hate to think what an ad 2 is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

iPad 2 was discontinued on March 18, 2014. I thought apple would have been aggressive in removing it from support but I was wrong.

It's a shame because my mini retina (which iOS 7 sometimes struggles - in comparison to other times running latest OS' on latest hardware - I'd hate to think what an ad 2 is like.
    Never had any issue or experienced any lag on IP2 running IOS7. Got the 32GB shortly after release from adverts and got it surgically attached to my hand shortly after for convenience.

Advertisement