Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do i stand with my deposit ?

Options
  • 29-05-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

so I moved into a house share in January to which no key was provided . Signed a lease stating that the house be left clean etc when we all moved out . I moved out a month before the others did .I cleaned as best I could but seen as I shared a room and others still lived there was only so much I could do . One of the other tenants in the house made a hole in the wall before i moved in but had plastered and repainted it .My landlady was not happy with this job done and got a contractor in to redo the wall .She sent some pictures of the house also , which i admit some things shouldn't of been left the way they were such as overflowing bins , dirty ovens but some of the pictures were a bit over the top like cleaning products/shampoo bottles left behind .My question is should money be taken from my deposit for the wall which had nothing to do with me and was done before i moved in ? Should I be penalised for having to get cleaners in and shampoo bottles left behind if others were still living there when i moved out ?Can i be held responsible for the way the house was left if i had no key to get back in or had no right to be in the house after I had paid last months rent.My deposit was 350 euro and my rent was 238 which is a lot of money for a jobless student .I just don't really know where I stand in this situation .Can anyone shed some light/give advice on this situation .Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

What was your rental period? Was it a fixed term lease and you moved out early or was your term up. Did you give appropriate notice if you broke the lease?

Was the lease for your room only or did you sign a lease for the house with others?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

i moved out one month early but gave her 2 months notice to which she agreed to . It was ment to be for 5 months but i only paid 4 .the lease was for the house but she had a separate one page lease which she wrote and brought around roughly 2 month before i moved out basically saying house will be left clean and then a space for our signatures

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Has she provided receipts for the cleaners or builder?

No receipt= not allowed to keep deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

i moved out one month early but gave her 2 months notice to which she agreed to . It was ment to be for 5 months but i only paid 4 .the lease was for the house but she had a separate one page lease which she wrote and brought around roughly 2 month before i moved out basically saying house will be left clean and then a space for our signatures

That second "lease" doesn't sound legal if the information wasn't contained in the lease you signed, she can't retrospectively impose new conditions.

HOWEVER, if the lease was for the house, you are jointly and equally responsible for the condition of the house at end of lease with the other tenants. Unfortunately it would sound as if you're jointly liable for any legal deductions from the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭fairyribbon

she has not given me any copy of the receipts if there is any .

• Advertisement
Advertisement