Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative - General Vision & Viewpoint?

• 29-05-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

So I've heard that GVVP is predicted to appear this year? Just wondering what could you disuss apart from the obvious opening and closing? All my 3 texts have the same outlook - dismal/bleak. I've got: Opening. Relationships(some are forbidden and relationships are largely negative which adds to pessimism). Marriage - presented as pessimistic : couples in both texts are trapped in loveless marriages.
    Glimmers of hope - presents slightly optimistic undertones initially but these hopes are then snatched away, reinforcing the sombre outlook.
    Closing
    Do you think this is suitable to discuss? I've always found the comparative easier than GVVP so any advice would be appreciated :) (sorry for lack of spacing, on my phone and it won't let me)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

What texts are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

What exactly should we mention in general vision and viewpoint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I'm doing Sive, How Many Miles To Babylon? and the film: I'm Not Scared - won't be mentioning that as in much detail though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

TheBoss11 wrote: »

Also this. I've got no idea of GVAV. Sorted for CC and Theme or issue but not this one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 LifeasaPigeon

I'm doing the same texts! :)
    You can talk about the world of the text, for example:

HMMTB - national and international unrest casts a gloom and foreboding over the text, descriptions of life in the trenches adds to pessimism etc.

Sive - suggestions of social change which are potentially positive give reader sense of hope (lifestyle of the poor farmer and attitudes towards matchmaking), these changes would be very optimistic if they were solid enough to influence events in any positive way, as in HMMTB nothing positive emerges from change

INS - social unrest is a feature and creates tension, background of crime and terror creates dark and pessimistic backdrop to narrative, Michele loses innocence as he discovers actions of those he thought he knew, in all 3 texts humans are reduced to level of predatory beasts when greed for money, power or status is at stake

you can also talk about the language and imagery:

HMMTB - sharp social divisions between Alec and Jerry seen in their dialogue, Jerry is rough and sharp-tongued unlike more refined and educated Alec, some images and descriptions lighten the mood occasionally but only serve to underline and heighten the overpowering sense of foreboding and despair

Sive - quality and refinement of expression mark Sive and Liam out as different from the locals, Sive does not use coarse language of Mena/Thomasheen/Tinkers due to gentleness of her nature, ugliness of language used by Thomasheen brings out his deformed nature, harsh speech employed by others gives insight into callousness and bitterness which motivates their actions, expressions of love between Sive and Liam highlights bitterness and hatred of their oppressors

INS - low level of expression and ignorant coarseness of many male characters, violence of language adds to sense of threat, Sergio is profoundly foul-mouthed (in keeping with his character), Michele's politeness to Sergio shows his finer qualities as a person, idyllic landscape serves to highlight ugliness hidden in its depths, the language + clothing + refinement of Filippo's mother underline divisions that existed between Northern and Southern Italy which is fundamental to the plot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

This is what I we were told to mention for the GVV.
    Opening scene? Is it optimistic or pessimistic. How is it convey? Setting, weather, characters speech, situation?

Plot? Again is it optimistic, pessimistic, gloomy, realistic, positive, tragedy? Explain how it's conveyed.

View of human relationship? Is power abused? Is there dysfunctional relationships? are relationships full of bitterness or happiness?

View of human behaviour? is it positive or negative, is there any hope for our main characters? Who offers this hope and is it successful or futile?

Ending? Is it a chilling atmosphere, how does it contribute to the pessimistic or optimistic outlook? Are the final words of the text positive or negative? Etc

Always refer back to the question, and use words like:
    Pessimistic, gloomy, sombre, negative, predictable, realistic, optimistic, positive,restriction and tragic.

A7XGirl wrote: »
    This is what I we were told to mention for the GVV.
    Opening scene? Is it optimistic or pessimistic. How is it convey? Setting, weather, characters speech, situation?

Plot? Again is it optimistic, pessimistic, gloomy, realistic, positive, tragedy? Explain how it's conveyed.

View of human relationship? Is power abused? Is there dysfunctional relationships? are relationships full of bitterness or happiness?

View of human behaviour? is it positive or negative, is there any hope for our main characters? Who offers this hope and is it successful or futile?

Ending? Is it a chilling atmosphere, how does it contribute to the pessimistic or optimistic outlook? Are the final words of the text positive or negative? Etc

Always refer back to the question, and use words like:
    Pessimistic, gloomy, sombre, negative, predictable, realistic, optimistic, positive,restriction and tragic.

And we have to compare the 3 texts on this? I'd well rather get CC if that's the case. Thank you very much for that detailed Infirmation though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

And we have to compare the 3 texts on this? I'd well rather get CC if that's the case. Thank you very much for that detailed Infirmation though!

Youre supposed to compare the 3 texts no matter which question it is, CC, GVAV or theme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lord Ned Stark

I did those three texts and did the LC Twice getting A1s both times in English. You would want to deal with a lot more aspects such as the poverty in all three texts, societies restraints including the culture of the time and the heading of characters is also suitable e.g. all three texts are riddled with malevolent characters that create great struggle leading to a pessimistic overview. . Then give examples and analysis. I know this is a bit short, sorry i am busy atm but if you need more help i will try to reply properly later.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colour Insanity

I'm doing HMMB, Sive and Casablanca. We studied GVV under three headings, all essentially pessimistic: 1. Family is a fallible, unreliable entity 2. Social class does not mitigate again life's adverisities and 3. Death does not discriminate between privileged, deprived, young and old.

Since we were supposed to do I'm Not Scared instead of Casablanca, I say the three "life truths" that we used could easily be used for "I'm Not Scared", too. I love GGV - always found it way easier than CC. :)

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a small sample answer of GVV they can show me? Just to be 100% sure I'm doing the right thing

Advertisement