Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Size Matter?

• 29-05-2014 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭

A question about LOI pitches.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that Ferrycarrig Park is the largest pitch in the LOI but I personally think it is deceptive because of the space around it between the touchline and the fence.

Obviously, the Salthill pitch was only big enough for U12 football and Tolka feels very tight, but does anyone know the actual size of the pitch for their own club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't know the dimensions of Terryland but it feels massive when you're standing on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Size does matter, yes, the wider the pitch the harder it is to defend pacey wingers on.

If you remember back to Highbury, there was about five yards between the edge of the box and the sideline, and teams like United that utilised speedy wingers like Giggs often struggled, and Arsenal themselves based their defensive game on keeping it tight and not allowing space.

The longer a pitch the easier it is for "off the shoulder" pacey forwards to find gaps if a defence steps up to the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The phrase 'it's what you do with it that counts' has never been more relevant than this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Buckley Park was 107 yards by 78 yards apparently, Wikipedia has its dimensions, maybe the other grounds are there too.

A fine pitch, with not so much fine football played on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Buckley Park was 107 yards by 78 yards apparently, Wikipedia has its dimensions, maybe the other grounds are there too.

A fine pitch, with not so much fine football played on it.

Wiki tells me that EDP/Terryland is 102 by 66 metres so that's approx. 112 yards by 72.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I remember when Cork City used to play at Flower Lodge it was Gigantic. To this day its the biggest pitch ive seen in Ireland or abroad and ive seen a lot of grounds. Turners Cross pitch seems tiny by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

I remember when Cork City used to play at Flower Lodge it was Gigantic. To this day its the biggest pitch ive seen in Ireland or abroad and ive seen a lot of grounds. Turners Cross pitch seems tiny by comparison.
    The Cross is tiny compared to every pitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

oldyouth wrote: »
    A question about LOI pitches.

Someone mentioned to me the other day that Ferrycarrig Park is the largest pitch in the LOI but I personally think it is deceptive because of the space around it between the touchline and the fence.

Obviously, the Salthill pitch was only big enough for U12 football and Tolka feels very tight, but does anyone know the actual size of the pitch for their own club

The "pitch" might be the biggest but the playing area would have to be within FIFA regulations.

Athlone town's pitch is marked to the in and around the same size as Old Trafford, Wembley, San Siro, Aviva, etc.

105m x 70m seems to be the *standard* for a modern football pitch.

Advertisement