Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Mass

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I thought it was quiet good, but as others said, the acting probably made up for a run of the mill script. Edgerton, Cochrane and Depp were very good and there wasn't enough Bacon or Cumberbatch. The Oirish scenes weren't too bad in it actually, I've seen worse!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Decent film. Really enjoyed it despite the reviews being poor enough. First half hour was dire, really picked up though despite not a whole lot happening. I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Stopped watching 2 thirds of the way through, bored to tears. For such excellent material, and with a good cast, it really underdelivered.

Having read a few books about the Bulgers whilst I was living in Boston, I found it even more dissapointing than I otherwise might have. The film seemed to be just a sort of chronological telling of whats on record rather than anything else. There was no soul to it and ultimately, it was pointless.

It really didnt play enough on the relationship between Billy and James, which is really an interesting contrast - the divergence in their lives and life choices

I agree Depp looked weird - just not right - and that was also immersion breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Stopped watching 2 thirds of the way through, bored to tears. For such excellent material, and with a good cast, it really underdelivered.

Having read a few books about the Bulgers whilst I was living in Boston, I found it even more dissapointing than I otherwise might have. The film seemed to be just a sort of chronological telling of whats on record rather than anything else. There was no soul to it and ultimately, it was pointless.

It really didnt play enough on the relationship between Billy and James, which is really an interesting contrast - the divergence in their lives and life choices

I agree Depp looked weird - just not right - and that was also immersion breaking.

I think you've actually summed up pretty much how I felt about the movie. Although I watched til the end, it was very disappointing and frustrating because there's a hugely fascinating story in there somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was very disappointed with this.I had read the book and with the material they had to work with I was expecting a whole lot more.Pity,a missed opportunity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I was impressed enough with it. The gang are led by two psychopaths who are given free reign to do what they want. They aren't particularly interesting or intelligent human beings like scorcese's bad guys are. There's no suggestion that Whitey ever looked to go legit by using his money to buy up businesses like an intelligent gangster would have. There are no shoot outs or heroes in the true story so not sure people are been fair when they complain about it being boring.

Cumberbatch is given nothing to do and not sure what what his motivation for doing this part was.

There's not a whole lot of focus on the community and how he was viewed by the average South Boston resident.

Why Connolly is so loval to Bulger (not testifying) is ridicolous when you think about it.

Parts of the film remind me of snowtown in terms of how victims are stalked and the mundanity of the murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Very late to the party on this. Watched it last night and really can not see the reason for the criticism it's getting here.

Very interesting storyline portrayed very well by a top notch cast who played each of their roles to a tee.

Depp I thought was great to watch. All this talk of his appearance distracting people etc is bs.
    He gave a stand out performance. Btw I can't stand him normally.

There was no need to overdramatise this story. It didn't need to be another departed which was excellent in its own right. It was a slower paced and more reserved film and it worked nicely.

I'd give it an 8/10.

Really enjoyed it. I'm gonna read up more on the history of it all now as well.

Advertisement