Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan tanker explosion

• 29-05-2014 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

Thought accidents like like were a thing that belonged to days before I.G systems were installed / standard fit.

Looks like a modern products tanker too...... never sailed on product only crude... what do product tankers use for I.G.... Nitrogen????? I presume traditional I.G would contaminate the cargo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H4TJYN8WAk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

She looks like quiet an old ship, judging by what's still there of the accommodation.

Regarding the IG, I think nitrogen is used more on chemical tankers. Any product tankers I've said on have used flue gas. The only difference between carrying products and crude was the vapour segregation.

Difficult as well from the footage to gauge the ships size. Its possible she didn't have/wasn't required to have an IG plant. Tank washing in uncontrolled atmospheres is still common on such ships

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Shoyo-Maru.png

The Shoyo Maru was built in 1995 and is chartered by Asahi Tanker Co., according to Syoho Shipping’s website.

Advertisement