Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commute to college

• 29-05-2014 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi, going to DCU is one of my options after the leaving cert but I am concerned about the time it takes to get to DCU.
    I have to get a bus into town and then a bus from town to DCU, and vice versa to get myself back home.
    I'm just wondering if that's too long of a commute to college? People who take 2 buses to college, do you guys think it's good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

2 buses isn't the issue. How long would that take timewise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

It depends how long, the cost and do the times of the buses suit when your college starts? I know someone that took 2 buses and found it hard, you can miss out on a lot of after college stuff like clubs or meeting up with others on your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

Timewise, it would take an hour and 10 minutes I reckon. Depends when the bus in town comes really.
    Cost of the bus is irrelevant as I would have gotten a bus card either way but yeah, I'm in doubt if I really am up for 4 buses every day for the next 4 years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I wouldn't use bus issues as a reason not to go there if it is the course you want to do.
    Plenty people use bus time to study. It may work in your favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I did my PLC in a college in the town which is about 20mins drive from where I live. Had to get two buses to get there in the morning and two in the afternoon. Total commute time took about 3hours in total including waiting for the bus! Stuck with it for a year and to be honest, I was happy about it. You on the other hand, 80mins is really good!

I wouldn't be worried about buses for going to college really to be honest. I know most people who go to DKIT who took the bus in 1st year and rented out a house in town with their college friends in the following years even though they lived 20/30mins away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The travel should be irrelevant. Like spurious said, if it has the course you want, then don't let that stop you. I used to commute an hour to school in the past; it's something you get used to, and especially if you don't have to drive yourself, you can focus on other things while travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

I commute to DCU daily and it takes me 1 hour and a half at rush hour with 2 buses.

It's not that bad, there is plenty to do like study, read the news or even talk to other people heading to DCU too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Pov06 wrote: »
    I commute to DCU daily and it takes me 1 hour and a half at rush hour with 2 buses.

It's not that bad, there is plenty to do like study, read the news or even talk to other people heading to DCU too :)

I agree with other posters here
    If you are reluctant to travel which involves 2 buses will you be reluctant to travel this or more if you succeed with your course and secure a job in the future.
    Thousands of people commute each day because they have to.

Advertisement