Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Character initials

• 30-05-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just wondering on how a writer goes about spelling out a character who is known by his initials. For example, Lock Knife. Would it be written as LK or L.K or otherwise?
    I'd also be interested in anyone's views on how this would look on page, especially if the character is mentioned a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Usually you see it written LK, e.g. DJ Carey.
    I wouldn't see it as a problem on the page but try to be consistent. It is annoying if you say Lock Knife on one page and LK on the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Lock Knife

Nice one EB :pac:

I guess I missed half of my questions problem by using my own initials LK as an example. Take for instance your own initials, EB. What is stopping the reader as reading it as a name on its own rather than the initials? I mean it should sound like EeeBee but the reader might just read it as Eb. Would an explanation of this early on put that to rest? I know myself that if I get used to reading a characters name early on in a book and if I've read it wrong I find it hard to change.
    The reason I'm bringing this up also is because in conversation the name EB would be said differently by a particular character. With a longer emphasis on the Beeee at times which is important as a portrayal of that characters talking voice.

Hope I'm making some sense there in what I'm trying to ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

You, as the author, will have be consistent in how you use the initials, so you'd write EB all the time. I think most readers, knowing they are initials, will just say EeeBee because we are just to initials used in that way.

But some of the characters may not. EB's mother will probably say, "Echo, you never call me."

Advertisement