Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far is Roy Hodgson "Ow uv 'is Depft"?

• 30-05-2014 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Answers on a post---, please. Reckon now he's -3 foot, as he stands.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

England are going to win the World Cup. Bookmark this post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We won't know because England are a joke no matter who their manager is

I think they won't make it out of the group stages

His only hope is getting as many of the Liverpool lads playing as possible in the attack and hope Rooney hits top form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Think Roy is pretty suited to the job tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

They have good players. They should be making a quarter final. The draw was very harsh on them as there are some very ordinary groups there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

kryogen wrote: »
    Think Roy is pretty suited to the job tbh

This has probably the most realistic/downbeat the English have been about the national team since '66. He has had, by and large, a free ride in the role so far. If England get out of the group the whole lot of them will start going mental believing they can win it and when the pressure hits Roy he'll either lose the plot or he'll be shown up as being tactically inept.

I cant see him doing anything of note with them he's just kind of...there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

If they get out of their group it will be a remarkable achievement as I think Englands squad is the weekist, iv seen for quite sometime. I dont think a change of manager would make much difference.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    If they get out of their group it will be a remarkable achievement as I think Englands squad is the weekist, iv seen for quite sometime. I dont think a change of manager would make much difference.

Compared to who though. I think people are overrating Uruguay. They have some very ordinary players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Charlie19 wrote: »

I think the opposite, they have a good young squad not drowned in expectation.

Thread reads like some Liverpool fans still being bitter over the fact he was hounded out and now has a bigger job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think it's pretty certain they'll get out of their group. It's set up for Hodgson, he'd have found it much more difficult in a Bosnia/Iran/Nigeria group.

It's group C in the last 16 for them no? Columbia Greece Ivory Coast or Japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He's no more out of his depth than the majority of English managers would be. England will keep banging their heads against the same brick wall forever unless a manager with true quality comes in and shows them how to make better use of the players they have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

niallo27 wrote: »
    Compared to who though. I think people are overrating Uruguay. They have some very ordinary players.

Agreed they are carrying some former greats, lugano can't run and Perez is not what he was. There definitely aging but they may have one more great performance in them.

As to the OP, I think Hodgson is very capable for the England job. Not a winner, so his presence will stop the hype from building to stupidity level which may be what helps them have a decent tournament

Mainly themselves:) they never seem to have any good team spirit when they reach the finals.

The south americans will have advantage with the climate and then you've got italy, I can only see the stuggle tbh.

Liam O wrote: »

Thread reads like some Liverpool fans still being bitter over the fact he was hounded out and now has a bigger job.

Ha ha, its not bitter at all. I would like to see them do well and its because of the liverpool connection. I havn't noticed so many of them in a england squad since the days of Barmby and Hesky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Read the thread title as Ray Houghton then came in and thought 'Why the fcuk is everyone going on about England and the WC?':pac:

On the actual topic, I'd say they'll get out of the group but probably have the stuffing knocked out of them in the 2nd round. As someone else said..this is the lowest I've ever seen their expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Where? I don't know of any Liverpool fan who has anything against Hodgson or would wish him ill at another side over his short spell at Anfield, he just wasn't the right man for the job. He is well suited to teams in a certain position with certain expectations and he can do wonderfully in charge of those sides, but he is very limited outside of that.

Would Man Utd fans hold it against Moyes if he was made manager of a top national side? (I realise what I've done, but it's the best example.)

I don't know where you're getting the idea that Liverpool fans are somehow bitter over him being England manager, but I suppose people see what they want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Quite a moronic thread title. Crass, unfunny attempt at humour to boot.

0\10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I don't think its certain at all England will get out of their group.

Italy and Uruguay? Hell even Costa Rica might surprise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Blay wrote: »
    Read the thread title as Ray Houghton then came in and thought 'Why the fcuk is everyone going on about England and the WC?':pac:

On the actual topic, I'd say they'll get out of the group but probably have the stuffing knocked out of them in the 2nd round. As someone else said..this is the lowest I've ever seen their expectations.

If they do get out of the group stage then they will face Greece/Columbia/Ivpry Coast/Japan. None of whom I can see knocking the stuffing out of England. Get through the second round and anything could happen, England are due a bit of luck as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Where? I don't know of any Liverpool fan who has anything against Hodgson or would wish him ill at another side over his short spell at Anfield, he just wasn't the right man for the job. He is well suited to teams in a certain position with certain expectations and he can do wonderfully in charge of those sides, but he is very limited outside of that.

Would Man Utd fans hold it against Moyes if he was made manager of a top national side? (I realise what I've done, but it's the best example.)

I don't know where you're getting the idea that Liverpool fans are somehow bitter over him being England manager, but I suppose people see what they want to see.

There is certainly a very disdainful attitude from a lot of Liverpool fans to Hodgson. Constant jibes towards him and writing him off as a manager. I don't know how you haven't seen this?

As regards Moyes I'm of the opinion he should have gotten more time so would be delighted if he turned his career back around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

0\10
    It's not great, is it? If it's an attempt to take the mick out of the English accent, the OP might want to take a look closer to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

blueser wrote: »
    It's not great, is it? If it's an attempt to take the mick out of the English accent, the OP might want to take a look closer to home.

I dont actually understand what its supposed to mean, I know he's making fun of the way Hodgson talks, but what are the non-phonetic versions of the words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There is certainly a very disdainful attitude from a lot of Liverpool fans to Hodgson. Constant jibes towards him and writing him off as a manager. I don't know how you haven't seen this?

As regards Moyes I'm of the opinion he should have gotten more time so would be delighted if he turned his career back around.

there's a difference between having a disdainful attitude and being bitter about the fact that he has the england job.

He was never a right fit at Liverpool, and should never have been given the job. As a national manager i think he fits the bill quite well. How England will do is another thing entirely. They have a tough enough group, but if they get out of that it's anybody's guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I think they will be the shock package of the World Cup, they might do a Germany from 2010 World Cup, no one gave them a chance cause of all the youth in the squad and they stepped it up and got to the Semi's.

They have some great young talent, Sterling (I think this guy will be a World class talent), Sturridge (he needs to step up and prove he can be the man on the world stage), Wilshire (I hope he stays fit and proves the doubters wrong, I still pick him over Henderson any day of the week), OX Chamb (him and Sterling could take defences apart with their pace), Barkley (I do think this lad will come good), Shaw and good pro's in Baines, Rooney Gerrard and Lampard. They have a few dodgy players in Welbeck (hows this guy still playing for Utd).

I think the English press and English Tv Pundit's make you hate England more then the players themselves. Like it's their divine right to win the World Cup. Hodgson has kept the ego's in check. I think they get last 8 if they play to their best abilities but I wouldn't be surprised if they get to the semi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

0\10

It also shows a complete lack of footballing knowledge and disrespect for a man with a very good track record in football around Europe.

Completely idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

First of all thread title - what????

Secondly Roy not out of his depth but the England squad might be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Agreed with the first part of your post.

Your 2nd part not so much, England are welcome to him. I don't think it's a bigger job but sure I'm just a pool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

All depends on how Rooney plays I feel.

He is the one genuine player they have that can produce moments that are world class...although the frequency of such moments are becoming less and less.

Hard to believe he hasn't scored a WC goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What a retarded thread.

Regardless of your opinion on Hodgson, at this point he has done everything he needed to do as England manager. He has qualified, he has integrated many of the younger players, and he handled a few tricky issues such as Terry/Ferdinand quite well. He has selected perhaps the best squad he could for the world cup and has made all the right noises in the build up.

That squad is going to go there without any drama surrounding them, with expectation levels at the correct level and I would expect them to perform in each of their games. They may not win anything, but the reality is they don't have the squad to win anything, hardly Hodgsons fault.

Out of his depth? I would suggest he is showing to be very comfortable at this depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Laughed a good bit at that one. Got some funny looks and all too. Fair play.

There's no way you actually believe that, though.

Its probably debatable as to whether the England job is actually bigger than managing the likes of Liverpool, United, etc, in the first place, let alone that we're bitter Hodgson is there.

I, for one, could not care where he is as long as he's never managing Liverpool again.

Sure, I'd prefer England to have a more capable manager as I like to watch them and I wouldn't mind them doing well, but I can't for the life of me see how you could use the word bitter there without being looking for a rise yourself.

• Advertisement

What a retarded thread.

Regardless of your opinion on Hodgson, at this point he has done everything he needed to do as England manager. He has qualified, he has integrated many of the younger players, and he handled a few tricky issues such as Terry/Ferdinand quite well. He has selected perhaps the best squad he could for the world cup and has made all the right noises in the build up.

That squad is going to go there without any drama surrounding them, with expectation levels at the correct level and I would expect them to perform in each of their games. They may not win anything, but the reality is they don't have the squad to win anything, hardly Hodgsons fault.

Out of his depth? I would suggest he is showing to be very comfortable at this depth.

It's too early to say yet though. He hasn't has a test yet. The group was very poor in standard. We will learn a lot I'm the next month.

He is the one genuine player they have that can produce moments that are world class...although the frequency of such moments are becoming less and less.

Hard to believe he hasn't scored a WC goal!

As a United fan I wouldn't be placing much hope on Rooneys shoulders.

I could almost guarantee that if you review Rooneys performances after the tournament it will be another case of running around showing passion and making lung bursting runs back for tackles, but doing very little to make England a creative force.

I would imagine he will finally get his world cup goal, but if England need a flash of quality from somewhere it probably won't be from Rooney.

I think those years have gone now, I think England Fan's know by now he's not the world class player they had him down as. He's a very good player on his day but to put that amount of pressure on him is unfair.

Why would any Liverpool fan be bitter over hodgson. It doesnt make any sense.

the Liverpool fan's have become the villain's of this forum in the past few months, Jose doesn't hold a candle to the pool fan's :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Hodgson so far has met expectations they qualified topping there group and without losing a game as far as i remember. They have lost friendlies to Sweden and chile but hard to take two much from friendlies. They have some players in squad who have had good seasons and are in form on the basis of that. The last euros they lost on penos to italy so i would expect that game to be tight again. They are more than capable of getting out of thier group.

i expect England to do ok in this world cup. Plently of players capable of producing match winning moments and a squad full of capable footballers.

I think Uruguay have a good defence and excellent front line but thier fieldfield is not overally impressive. all ifs and buts but i would expect England to qualify from this group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wish him all the best as England manager, I have wiped his 6 months at Liverpool from my hard drive and so can offer no views on that period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Looper007 wrote: »

I think the English press and English Tv Pundit's make you hate England more then the players themselves.

Wow wow, hold on. Its the same with every nation.
    Its just that us Irish have all the british/english channels and we read all the english papers.

If a foreigner had irish stations, watched the Irish news, read our papers, they would say the same about us. But no one outside of Ireland would watch Irish tv.
    Take for example, Ireland in euro2012, it way over the top in the weeks leading up to it, hyped way too much, every news bulletin, every paper, all over the radio...
    And then quite a bit of the media expected us to get out of the group, we would beat Croatia no bother, and at least draw with Italy, and maybe lose to Spain(just cause they are world champions). Im sure people would hate the Irish if they had to listen to that rubbish too.

Talking rubbish and being biased, can be annoying but every country does it in the big tournaments.

Im sick of Irish people saying this about the english media. Turn it off, stop watching sky sports news. And I cant blame them, Im sure a lot of English people are excited and looking forward to it and want to watch/listen/read about their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

:eek:

Fudge You wrote: »
    And then quite a bit of the media expected us to get out of the group, we would beat Croatia no bother, and at least draw with Italy, and maybe lose to Spain(just cause they are world champions). Im sure people would hate the Irish if they had to listen to that rubbish too.

This simply isn't true. Just the opposite in fact, there was a lot of negativity surrounding that Irish team and the whole Trappatoni question. To imply that anybody really expected to get out of the group just isn't accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I reckon England will do just enough to get second with Italy walking the group. After that they have a fantastic chance of reaching Q-finals where they will proobably come up against one of Brazil, Netherlands or Spain and it will end in usual heart-breaking fashion :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

This simply isn't true. Just the opposite in fact, there was a lot of negativity surrounding that Irish team and the whole Trappatoni question. To imply that anybody really expected to get out of the group just isn't accurate.

But there was some people saying it in the media. I know in general not many thought we had a chance. But for example Dunphy said we would get out of the group. He walked down Grafton Street in a clown suit when we got knocked out.
    So the point I was making, say in euro2008 if a sky sports pundit said England could go all the way. Us in Ireland would say "Im sick of the English media talking rubbish".
    Thats the point I was saying to Looper007. So you are wrong. Some(in the minority) said Ireland would do well in the euro2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Is Hodgson out of his depth? Certainly not. I rate him highly as a manager though he is obviously not in the upper echelons with the likes of Ferguson, Mourinho etc. He is very experienced and should do well with England. He obviously had a torrid time at Liverpool - a bit like Moyes really - does not make him a bad manager.

I think with the current youthful squad - who will probably play without fear and will not have to suffer the insane expectations of the English press (because there isn't any) then they should be ok.

Will they win it? Not a hope. They havent got the technical ability and quality throughout the pitch but you would hope they would come away from the tournament thinking "This aint a bad bunch we've got here"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hart
    Johnson (the weaklink IMO)
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Baines
    Henderson
    Gerrard
    Sterling
    Lallana
    Rooney
    Sturridge

Is a pretty strong first 11 for me. Could imagine Brendan Rodgers or Klopp doing real damage with a team like that (England are obviously never going to win this World Cup).

The squad may lack a bit of depth but I don't think Hodgson has any excuses to completely fail. The vast majority of those players were pivotal for very successful teams this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Are you incapable of posting something without mentioning Liverpool fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Hodgson generally seems to have a bad reputation amongst football fans at the current time, how much of this is down to his failings at Liverpool I am not sure, but he certainly seems to get a lot of superfluous criticism for a man of his experience. While he may not be an absolute master tactician, he certainly is not as incompetent as he is made out to be. He tends to have this kind of 'jovial uncle' reputation in the press, as in: a nice guy, but not particularly ruthless or decisive at the top level.

I actually expect England to do quite well. Their team has a lot of very good players, if perhaps not quite as many obviously world-class ones as from the 1998-2010 vintage, but those sides often did not perform as well as they were expected to. The expectations do seem a lot less this time round and this is something that is probably going to be an advantage to the players, as in recent times you got the feeling the team just had to turn up to collect the trophy.

England actually tend to perform much better in the role of the underdog in major tournaments I find, they do not seem to cope with the favourites tag very well. See last time round. Struggled out of a group they were supposed to see off with ease and then were hammered by an up and coming German team in the next game. But in 2002 when they were not favoured against Argentina they delt with them fairly easily and probably should really have done better against Brazil in the quarters. In fact, despite the injury to Gerrard, that was probably the best chance they had in a while to win the competition, although you could argue the same two years later with the injury to Rooney during the tournament itself.

I reckon they might be surprise semi-finalists.

CSF wrote: »
    Hart
    Johnson (the weaklink IMO)
    Cahill
    Jagielka
    Baines
    Henderson
    Gerrard
    Sterling
    Lallana
    Rooney
    Sturridge

I'd have Wilshire in for Henderson, Gerrard can do the grafting. You need a guy you can give control the ball and give splitting defencing balls. Apart form that if Lallana or Sterling don't do the job throw on Bakley and the OX they will rip teams apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Gerrard hasn't the legs to do the grafting anymore. Wiltshire is a better player than hendo but not sure he has the discipline for the role if they line up as Liverpool do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Fudge You wrote: »
    So the point I was making, say in euro2008 if a sky sports pundit said England could go all the way. Us in Ireland would say "Im sick of the English media talking rubbish".

Given that England didn't qualify I'd say 'us in Ireland' may have had a point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

I disagree. The popular opinion prior to the tournament was that group was difficult (almost to the point of being unfair), but that Ireland would be competitive in the group and maybe even qualify out of it.

Take this thread for example (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056661566). Of the 15 people on the first page some indeed said we'd get 0 or 1 pts but 9 out of 15 thought we'd get 4 points more. Three people even thought we would get 7pts, which would definitely qualify us out of the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Jordonvito wrote: »
    If they do get out of the group stage then they will face Greece/Columbia/Ivpry Coast/Japan. None of whom I can see knocking the stuffing out of England. Get through the second round and anything could happen, England are due a bit of luck as well!

Colombia would certainly push England, with or without Falcao.

• Advertisement
Advertisement