Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far is Roy Hodgson "Ow uv 'is Depft"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Gerrard hasn't the legs to do the grafting anymore. Wiltshire is a better player than hendo but not sure he has the discipline for the role if they line up as Liverpool do.

Gerrard doesn't need to do hard grafting if Roy has sense.

Hendo, Coutinho, Sterling, Allen. they were all his legs for Liverpool this season, and it worked a treat.

just protect him. like the Italians have protected Pirlo with the likes of Marchisio and Gattuso around him.

Henderson and Wilshere/Lallana/Barkley either side of Gerrard would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

He's no more or less out of his depth than the entire English team are.

Remind me again of when Gerrard, Rooney et all performed well on an international stage.

Overrated team, surprised it's spilling over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gosplan wrote: »
    He's no more or less out of his depth than the entire English team are.

Remind me again of when Gerrard, Rooney et all performed well on an international stage.

Overrated team, surprised it's spilling over here.

Thank you now I get what the OP was so badly trying to say with his thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

All depends on how Rooney plays I feel.

He is the one genuine player they have that can produce moments that are world class...although the frequency of such moments are becoming less and less.

Hard to believe he hasn't scored a WC goal!

Rooney isn't the problem, he will just be the scapegoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

I am pie wrote: »
    Colombia would certainly push England, with or without Falcao.

Oh I agree. I think all those teams could beat England on their day, just trying to highlight that they are avoiding the likes of Spain, Brazil and Argentina. Until the latter stages anyway.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Gerrard doesn't need to do hard grafting if Roy has sense.

Hendo, Coutinho, Sterling, Allen. they were all his legs for Liverpool this season, and it worked a treat.

just protect him. like the Italians have protected Pirlo with the likes of Marchisio and Gattuso around him.

Henderson and Wilshere/Lallana/Barkley either side of Gerrard would be fine.

Cant really see Lallana or Barkely playing alongside Gerrard. Would expect them to operate in one of the 3 behind the striker, presuming he goes with that formation. Think it will be between Henderson and Wilshere for that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Don't even think they will make it out of the group.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Jordonvito wrote: »
    Cant really see Lallana or Barkely playing alongside Gerrard. Would expect them to operate in one of the 3 behind the striker, presuming he goes with that formation. Think it will be between Henderson and Wilshere for that role.

I would have thought that Gerrard is nailed on to start. So then it would be players that don't fit with him making way, rather than the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

SlickRic wrote: »

Protect him to do what exactly? Because he sure ain't no Pirlo.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    I would have thought that Gerrard is nailed on to start. So then it would be players that don't fit with him making way, rather than the other way round.

Thats what Im saying, either Wilshere or Henderson will play alongside Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

They'll be going home after three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think Hodgson's doing fine. He's meeting, though not exceeding, what I would expect. QF in major tournaments is about the standard of their team.

I posted this before in relation to the World Cup, but:

I think England will get out of their group. They play Italy in the first game in one of the hottest areas of Brazil, a slow, boring 0-0 or 1-1 draw will be the order of the day there IMO. Uruguay are vastly overrated apart from their striking options, definite point there for England and they'll win by a couple of goals against Costa Rica. 5 points would probably be enough to get out of the group as I think Italy will beat Uruguay and Costa Rica, but England could well get 6 or 7 IMO.

Last 16 they'd face the winner/runner-up of group D which would be Colombia, Japan, Greece or Ivory Coast. I like Colombia and tip them to well in this tournament, but England have nothing to fear against any of those possible opponents. QF's are a different story as they start coming into contact with Spain, Brazil and Holland.

Their group is not as tough as is being made out for me, and if they progress from their group they face a relatively kind last 16 game. They'll likely bow out at the QF stage which is consistent with the standard of their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

I don't see England going out in the group stages anyway. Uruguay are decent up front, but aren't great elsewhere on the pitch. It should be Italy and England qualifying, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This has probably the most realistic/downbeat the English have been about the national team since '66. He has had, by and large, a free ride in the role so far. If England get out of the group the whole lot of them will start going mental believing they can win it and when the pressure hits Roy he'll either lose the plot or he'll be shown up as being tactically inept.

I cant see him doing anything of note with them he's just kind of...there.

I'm sick of Irish people telling me this. Stupid comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Danny Welbeck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It is not Woy that's out of his depth but the English team.

England are now moving into the deep end of the swimming pool. We all remember the time when we passed the point where the shallow meets the deep. The fear. The fear of falling to the bottom and dying. England now feel this fear. They will soon be out of their depth.

Woy is doing his best to control the fear. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

WOT AGAOL"!""""""""""""""8905yqa39073489q6 n]9ty4aopjr

England would be much the better without having to cart Rooney around it must be said - Much sooner see Lallana in behind and Sterling on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Don't even think they will make it out of the group.

:(

the real shocking thing to me is the lack of world class talent in the
    English squad which is a damning thing of how English Premier league is not producing enough home talent.

I think if England play to the best of their abilities they will get out of their group. It's a team rather a group of ego's like they've had in the last few years.

I know Uruguay have some awesome players but they ain't unstoppable the same as Italy. great teams but they can be beaten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

mike65 wrote: »
    England would be much the better without having to cart Rooney around it must be said - Much sooner see Lallana in behind and Sterling on the right.

Aye Rooney is a real liability. He should be played up front. First name on the sheet

Sadly Rooney hasn't had a great time for England in a big stage since his debut in 2004. He's a very good player but not the world beater many English fan's were hoping for.

Still think there are weaknesses with Welbeck and Johnson. I think Gerrard's lack of pace will be found out when they come up agaisn't better opposition.

I think their centre backs are solid. Hart is overrated by the press but he's a very good goalkeeper but he's prone to mistakes. Baines is excellent. Sturrdige I think he's a real talent, Sterling I would start. I still think Wilshire should start ahead of Henderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Looper007 wrote: »
    Still think there are weaknesses with Welbeck and Johnson. .
    Johnson sure but Welbeck? You can hardly criticise him in that first half he's not put a foot wrong. He's one of England's best performers on a consistent basis. Needs to be more of a goal threat is all, his only weakness imo

Welbeck's touch is arguably the best of the English players and he one of the most assured with the ball at his feet. Amazing the blind criticism he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

K4t wrote: »
    Johnson sure but Welbeck? You can hardly criticise him in that first half he's not put a foot wrong. He's one of England's best performers on a consistent basis. Needs to be more of a goal threat is all, his only weakness imo

I wouldn't say that... https://vine.co/v/Md2PaQjduQY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I wouldn't say that... https://vine.co/v/Md2PaQjduQY
    Eh fair enough although a poor underhit pass from Rooney who I admit has been woeful. Other than that though Welbeck has been very good. I feel if there's a bit of unfair criticism being directed towards him solely for the reason that he plays for Utd.

Welbeck's touch is arguably the best of the English players and he one of the most assured with the ball at his feet. Amazing the blind criticism he gets.

You must be the head of Welbeck's Fan Club K4t :pac: He reminds me of Emile Heskey a little bit, there's talent there but sadly you see the bad instead of the good.

Eh fair enough although a poor underhit pass from Rooney who I admit has been woeful. Other than that though Welbeck has been very good. I feel if there's a bit of unfair criticism being directed towards him solely for the reason that he plays for Utd.

Well the amount of great chances he's had at Utd, he's underperformed for me and he just doesn't look like a natural finisher either. Good squad player but not first teamer for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Looper007 wrote: »
    the real shocking thing to me is the lack of world class talent in the
    English squad which is a damning thing of how English Premier league is not producing enough home talent.

I think if England play to the best of their abilities they will get out of their group. It's a team rather a group of ego's like they've had in the last few years.

I know Uruguay have some awesome players but they ain't unstoppable the same as Italy. great teams but they can be beaten

Both are playing over the next 24 hours as well, against NI and Ireland. Should give some indication of what England might expect in the groups.

Welbeck :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I want to see sterling and barkley

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

For a team with little international experience in their squad, Peru have done quite well. Caused England some problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Sterling must be sickened that he's not considered as good as welbeck.

Rooney has been pants too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Wellbeck should not be playing for England.

Not good enough. Not even really good enough for Utd.

Wilshire on for Gerrard and Sterling on for someone in a moment

GAOAL*463u90456]4957]7 Cahill.

Rooney off Sterling on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Welbeck and Sterling scored the same amount of goals this season even though Welbeck played far less and was on a far inferior team. That could have something to do with it but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Rooney is still England's best centre forward without doubt

Liam O wrote: »
    Welbeck and Sterling scored the same amount of goals this season even though Welbeck played far less and was on a far inferior team. That could have something to do with it but who knows.

Sterlings is much better and should start ahead of welbeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

ricero wrote: »
    Sterlings is much better and should start ahead of welbeck

You would know you're a Pool fan

the one good season syndrome knows no limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Christ a cooling tower at a nuclear power station would be more effective than johnson at rb, really hope we bin him in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Liam O wrote: »

Knowing Hodgson, that probably does have something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Keeper just dropped it to his feet. :pac:

Sterling is rising as fast as Rooney is declining

You would know you're a Pool fan

the one good season syndrome knows no limits

I quite like welbeck but sterlings better simple as and adds a lot more. No need to bring in the team I support. Dont want this thread to turn into utd vs lfc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Drake

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Sterling is rising as fast as Rooney is declining

Surprise surprise Sterling comes on and brings a spark nobody else even threatened. Have to wonder about Woy, why on earth was Welbeck starting this ahead of him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Knowing Hodgson, that probably does have something to do with it.

Welbeck was underutilized greatly this season. Made a mess of that chance against Bayern but was impressive nearly everytime he played. Should have been playing a lot more, was very good when he got a short run in the team and made a great difference off the bench a few times. Sterling has been great obviously but it's bot like Welbeck had a bad season as some would have you believe. Welbeck has always performed for England so not sure what people's problem is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Johnson is toxic. I can see him doing a Phil Neville style cock up at some stage and getting them knocked out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Tox56 wrote: »
    Surprise surprise Sterling comes on and brings a spark nobody else even threatened. Have to wonder about Woy, why on earth was Welbeck starting this ahead of him

He is more effective off the bench still needs to improve his overall play to edge into starting 11 contention

He loses a lot of balls and against the better teams in the WC that will be a bigger problem

He can lift the team and crowd from the bench and for now that's were I would use him

Any chance someone could change this thread title to england world cup thread or something along that line. Find the title quite disrespectful and cruel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Christ England have been poor tonight. If Peru can play like that against them what will Uruguay and Italy (not to mention the mighty Costa Rica) do?

• Advertisement
Advertisement