Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long more has Christianity (Religion) got ?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    I will openly say that that I hate many big, organised religions, but I wouldn't if they'd mind their own business and stop interfering with my life when they have no business in doing so.

I think if many big religions kept their noses out of government and politics I would honestly have no problem whatsoever with them as they wouldn't be affecting me negatively. I already don't have a problem with peaceful religions like Buddhism.
    Sadly that's not the case with religions like Christianity, for example.

But alas, religions will begin to slow and die out, I don't think completely or entirely, but look at the current situation; we're only getting more educated in our developed worlds, with that high standard applying to more and more of the population as time goes on. With that the rate of faith decreases. It would be naive to think that religion will be anything but a minority in future, as that would mean ignoring everything that affects it and shows us it will decline.

I think what you want to happen and what is most likely to happen are two different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

robbiezero wrote: »
    Old but apt.

How do you know if someone is an atheist?

They tell you.

Little ironic coming from the side that has roaming gangs of people looking to tell others about their religion isn't it? I've yet to see a single atheist on a soapbox with a microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Christianity will hang on longer than it bloody should because of all the fecking 'cultural' Catholics baptising their children because 'Sure, it's a day out, and me granny will give out to me if I don't'. Thousands of people standing in front of their friends and family and lying their arses off about how they'll raise the child Catholic when everyone knows that the next time they'll set foot in a church is for the child's communion (which will be 100% prepared for in school).

"Oh, I don't believe in their teachings on women, contraception, pre-marital sex, sin, homosexuals, Jesus, and I haven't set foot in a church for 20 years, but I'd better put Catholic on the census because someone signed me up to it when I was a week old". Drives me up the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Knasher wrote: »
    Little ironic coming from the side that has roaming gangs of people looking to tell others about their religion isn't it? I've yet to see a single atheist on a soapbox with a microphone.

Michael Nugent....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056832320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

I've yet to see a single atheist on a soapbox with a microphone.

Dawkins is very shy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 socrates111

the dates on these posts don't seem to make sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

As we enter a more enlightened age of human evolution and development and less people actively partake in religion (have their children indoctrinated into it by default). How long has it got ?
    Even the most fervent Christian must see that a book written to catalogue things that happened two thousand years ago in the 1400's is a bit dicey to take as fact/something to base your life on.

Enlightened age?

Are you specifically talking about Christianity? Millions of people still adopt practices from ancient times and most have a basis in many religions, often even considered as 'new age'. Such as prayer, meditation, diet, spiritualism etc.

I am not the most prolific church goer nor a model practitioner but it is difficult to argue against core Christian values.

RobertKK wrote: »

A guy posting within an Atheist and Agnostic forum is hardly on the same level as those sanctimonious people who call to my house to talk about their lord and saviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

kylith wrote: »
    A guy posting within an Atheist and Agnostic forum is hardly on the same level as those sanctimonious people who call to my house to talk about their lord and saviour.

Why do you think they are sanctimonious? Why do they upset you so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Sanctimoniously said

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Can't see it disappearing any time soon unfortunately, as long as people are afraid of death their will always be religion. In fact I say it's increasing, I've noticed in the past 10 years their has been a lot of American type Christian churches popping up all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

ryan101 wrote: »
    Dawkins is very shy
    There are vocal atheists, I never claimed there wasn't. But would you really claim that atheists are anywhere near as vocal as theists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

As we enter a more enlightened age of human evolution and development and less people actively partake in religion (have their children indoctrinated into it by default). How long has it got ?

10 years ?
    20 years ?
    50 years ?

Even the most fervent Christian must see that a book written to catalogue things that happened two thousand years ago in the 1400's is a bit dicey to take as fact/something to base your life on.

I come from a regular Irish family and I have huge respect for the comfort and sense of wellbeing family members of previous generations and older members get/got from it.

But surely the jig is almost up, even with the once hard corners of the Vatican's laws being smoothed over to stay in touch/keep the money flowing in.

Your thoughts AH ?

P.S. Like this post or my peaceful God will burn you for all eternity etc (or not)

In America ? A long time yet.

Why do you think they are sanctimonious? Why do they upset you so?

They annoy me because they come to my house and expect me to drop what I'm doing and talk about their religion. And I believe that they are sanctimonious because when I politely decline their invitation they become very snotty, which is hardly how a Christian should act towards someone who has been nothing but polite to them.

There are vocal atheists, I never claimed there wasn't. But would you really claim that atheists are anywhere near as vocal as theists?

That's only becasue there's less of them. There is a proportion of all religious adherents and atheists who are keen to tell everyone they can about their philosophies.

They annoy me because they come to my house and expect me to drop what I'm doing and talk about their religion..

So you hate them like you hate people wanting to change your energy provider? Fair enough.
    And I believe that they are sanctimonious because when I politely decline their invitation they become very snotty, which is hardly how a Christian should act towards someone who has been nothing but polite to them.

Maybe they can sense that you hate them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's only becasue there's less of them. There is a proportion of all religious adherents and atheists who are keen to tell everyone they can about their philosophies.
    When is the last time an atheist knocked on your door to talk to you about religion, put leaflets through your door or stood on a soapbox in the middle of a busy street shouting at people about how evil they were?

I think you'll find that it's nothing to do with numbers and all to do with the fact that religions in general require their members to be as vocal as possible and demand that they try to change other peoples' opinions.

Atheism by implication has no doctrine or demands. A "militant" atheist is someone who says, "I don't believe in God" in public. Theists think nothing of declaring their belief in public on a regular basis without any fear of being labelled "militant".

So you hate them like you hate people wanting to change your energy provider? Fair enough.

Maybe they can sense that you hate them?

I never said that I hated them, I said that they were annoying. Just as annoying as people who want me to change energy provider. The difference being that people from energy providers thank me for my time rather than giving me attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I never said that I hated them, I said that they were annoying. Just as annoying as people who want me to change energy provider. The difference being that people from energy providers thank me for my time rather than giving me attitude.
    They also have something tangible to offer.

seamus wrote: »
    When is the last time an atheist knocked on your door to talk to you about religion, put leaflets through your door or stood on a soapbox in the middle of a busy street shouting at people about how evil they were?.

Atheists tend not to do those things. They roam the web and appear of chat shows instead to talk about how brilliant they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If doing away with religion will finally put an end to all the moronic bickering in these threads, then bring it on. Until then, for the love of whatever you believe in, just be happy with yourself and stop pretending that what you believe/don't believe is better than what everyone else believes/doesn't believe.

It's really that simple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement