Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety on public transport

Options
  • 30-05-2014 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm originally from South Africa and now living in Dublin for the past 8 years. I came a long way and made allot of sacrifices to be here and make this my home. Ireland is so beautiful and I have come to love our life here. The fact that my kids, now teenagers, could walk and play safely in the streets was well worth the effort. I would however like to bring your attention to the fact that times are changing and rapidly too. The streets are not as safe as they used to be. And travelling on public transport is getting dangerous too. I'm overwhelmed by a feeling of dispair as I watch crime rise and more youths becoming rebellious and causing trouble. My son was travelling on the Luas at 9pm last night from Dublun to Saggart when a group of 5-7 lads aged between 16 &18 started intimidating him. They demanded his jacket and bag, they threw spit balls at him and when he asked the repeatedly to stop, they punched and kicked him. No one on the Luas last night tried to intervene and the driver did not stop the Luas and call for security. My son was punched in the face and sustained a cut in his lip deep enough to need six stitches. He was shaken and in shock and after 5 hours in Tallaght hospital was not in a good way. I called and opened a case with Luas and then went to our local Garda station to make a statement. After a brief discussion I got the feeling that the guard was trying to discourage my son from making a statement. He was told to go home and think about it. I am now going to draw up a petition and collect information with regards to incidents like this on public transport. I would like anyone who had had a similar experience or had their phone stollen or just generally been intimidated please to come forward and share your stories. We are living it a society where we must all draw near to each other and be the next link in the chain so that we can protect ourselves and each other. Why should we be afraid to take a Luas home? Why should we feel alone and abandoned when we become a victim of such an incident? Are there people out there who are willing to stand with me and see what we can do to prevent anyone and everyone from this type of abuse. Please join me today to make Ireland a safe place to stay. Amen.

Do you agree that safety on public transport is an issue? 1 vote

Yes, definitely
    0%
    Not at all
    0%
    Only on Saturdays
    100%
    haro124 1 vote
    I have no idea
    0%

Comments

Advertisement