Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS cost Computer repair business

• 30-05-2014 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of setting up a repair business and want to know what would be the cost. How much do I need to pay for OS licenses and other software.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

try your thread here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Of the cuff, you wouldn't have any associated OS costs since you're repairing, not building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The main thing for this would be having the qualifications and experience to make a go of it. Word of mouth is a big thing for computer repair, I've found. Licensing costs shouldnt really be an issue because you're repairing PC's, as Overheal said. Setup costs should be relatively low - just a matter of buying repair equipment and basic tools needed really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

This might change across as harsh, but if you have to ask that kind of question on an online forum, you really shouldn't even be considering starting a business like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

I just wanted to find out to do things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

That's kind of my point, the way to do things right is to find these things out by working for someone else for a few years to learn the trade before you jump in the deep end and cock it up.

Right now, you don't know enough to do it properly and it's not just something you can learn by asking questions here, it's a complicated business.

Let's be honest and say that right now you don't even know how much you don't know, and that there is going to be a big problem for you.

You're going to need to get to a point where you understand how much information you still don't have.

I'm almost 20 years into my IT career and I'm at a point now that I didn't even know existed 10 years ago and it's only NOW that I can see a good bit of the things I still don't know about the industry and I can't even explain to regular people what it is that I do without leaving them (and even some IT people) confused.

Like most nerdy IT people, all through my career I've been doing PC repairs and upgrades for friends and family and I have a home office that would pass for a small computer shop and I STILL wouldn't consider opening up my own repair business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Margins are so small it must be very difficult to make any money at it. Which is why people don't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People do it when it fits into the supply and demand niche. There's not a repair shop on every street corner but plenty of demand and skills to provide one or two per town

Advertisement