Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So WE ended up with the pup!!

• 30-05-2014 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I posted a few weeks ago on behalf of friends seeking advise about puppy breeds etc for them -they decided to put it on the back burner for the moment.

Passed on the info and yesterday morning a neighbour turned up at MY door with a little pup thinking it was me that wanted one !

Little pup is 8 weeks old and was presented as it was - no injections etc.

So now I'm looking for advice for myself!We bought a crate this morning with a nice bed in also a puppy Kong with Kong treats.She quite happily slept in it today with the door open and when I nipped to the shops I popped her in with the Kong and closed the door

At bed time I did the same-took her out to wee and then put her in the crate and closed the door The noise was unmerciful! She barked and whined and cried I wasn't sure what to do tbh we have young kids and they all woke up .

So now I'm lying here on the couch with puppy asleep on my chest wondering what to do !

I'd love any tips at all as I'm really clueless as u can probably tell. Also any tips for settling in and looking after a new puppy would also be greatly appreciated thank u for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I posted a few weeks ago on behalf of friends seeking advise about puppy breeds etc for them -they decided to put it on the back burner for the moment.

Passed on the info and yesterday morning a neighbour turned up at MY door with a little pup thinking it was me that wanted one !

Little pup is 8 weeks old and was presented as it was - no injections etc.

So now I'm looking for advice for myself!We bought a crate this morning with a nice bed in also a puppy Kong with Kong treats.She quite happily slept in it today with the door open and when I nipped to the shops I popped her in with the Kong and closed the door

At bed time I did the same-took her out to wee and then put her in the crate and closed the door The noise was unmerciful! She barked and whined and cried I wasn't sure what to do tbh we have young kids and they all woke up .

So now I'm lying here on the couch with puppy asleep on my chest wondering what to do !

I'd love any tips at all as I'm really clueless as u can probably tell. Also any tips for settling in and looking after a new puppy would also be greatly appreciated thank u for reading

Wow - what a neighbour! Just lands you with a puppy? How does that happen...

That aside, and it being 5.30 am - here's what I can offer for now:

That puppy needs to see a vet. Pronto. You've been given her a tad too early. She needs worming, parvo vaccinated I'd imagine and then the 7/1. Or however the vet suggests to administer. DO NOT take her out for walks. It'll be weeks before that's 'safe' to do.

Crate training (with built in toilet training). I'm from the school of 'put in the work now - and reap years of reward'. An 8 week old pup needs to know where the toilet is. I'm not for putting down paper. Puppies that young need to be brought out every hour during the day to pee. And when she does, act like she's just cured cancer. HUGE praise and in excited voice - tell her how great she is.

Do not scold her if she wees in the house. Lift her mid-pee and being her out to finish. If she has an accident, you need to remove the smell. Washing detergent is your friend here. We used to keep a bottle mixed with water handy. In the end - we used it TWICE! As my OH was home for 2 weeks to settle in the latest addition. He was out that yard every hour for a month!

At night - a pup can't hold it. Simples. Max 2 hour stints. Then out to pee. We worked a rota. You'll confuse the pup if you leave it an 'area' inside a crate to pee.

The crate itself. Needs to be slowly introduced. A bit at a time, like you said - with positive reinforcement - kongs and toys. I'm such a fan of crates. But that's for another post...

We love our 2 and they've a great life. However - they are not allowed up on furniture, upstairs and we NEVER left either of them sleep in our arms. I'm my opinion, a puppies (or dogs) place is not on your chest, in a bedroom or worse - in the BED.

You'll need some tough love - otherwise the pup will get used to getting what it wants when it cries. Then, you're done for. Make sure she's peed before bedtime, no water from say 10pm. And out to pee at night every 2 hours.

Sound mad? It is. But soooooo worth it in the long run. Now, I've to get an hours kip. Up at 7 for walkies before work.

What breed is she? We'll need photos!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had my pup's crate upstairs at night time so I'd hear her when she needed to go out which was pretty much once a night from day one. The dogs are mine and we live in a terraced house with walls that are paper thin so I couldn't leave either of them crying at night walking 3 households. They have no problem sleeping downstairs now but I prefer them up with me in case they need to go out during the night or are sick etc. My pup sleeps on the end of my bed squashed up against the other guy's crate. (He likes his space and prefers the crate to sleeping on the bed with the pup!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Hooked wrote: »
    Wow - what a neighbour! Just lands you with a puppy? How does that happen...

That aside, and it being 5.30 am - here's what I can offer for now:

That puppy needs to see a vet. Pronto. You've been given her a tad too early. She needs worming, parvo vaccinated I'd imagine and then the 7/1. Or however the vet suggests to administer. DO NOT take her out for walks. It'll be weeks before that's 'safe' to do.

Crate training (with built in toilet training). I'm from the school of 'put in the work now - and reap years of reward'. An 8 week old pup needs to know where the toilet is. I'm not for putting down paper. Puppies that young need to be brought out every hour during the day to pee. And when she does, act like she's just cured cancer. HUGE praise and in excited voice - tell her how great she is.

Do not scold her if she wees in the house. Lift her mid-pee and being her out to finish. If she has an accident, you need to remove the smell. Washing detergent is your friend here. We used to keep a bottle mixed with water handy. In the end - we used it TWICE! As my OH was home for 2 weeks to settle in the latest addition. He was out that yard every hour for a month!

At night - a pup can't hold it. Simples. Max 2 hour stints. Then out to pee. We worked a rota. You'll confuse the pup if you leave it an 'area' inside a crate to pee.

The crate itself. Needs to be slowly introduced. A bit at a time, like you said - with positive reinforcement - kongs and toys. I'm such a fan of crates. But that's for another post...

We love our 2 and they've a great life. However - they are not allowed up on furniture, upstairs and we NEVER left either of them sleep in our arms. I'm my opinion, a puppies (or dogs) place is not on your chest, in a bedroom or worse - in the BED.

You'll need some tough love - otherwise the pup will get used to getting what it wants when it cries. Then, you're done for. Make sure she's peed before bedtime, no water from say 10pm. And out to pee at night every 2 hours.

Sound mad? It is. But soooooo worth it in the long run. Now, I've to get an hours kip. Up at 7 for walkies before work.

What breed is she? We'll need photos!!! :)

I thought the OP sounded nice with the puppy sleeping on their chest. I know the puppy needs training but they are getting to know each other. My dog is allowed on the furniture and "worse" sleeps on the bed. Fortunately she can let herself out for a whizz in the night as she has a dog flap.
    Good luck OP with your unexpected new addition.

I thought the OP sounded nice with the puppy sleeping on their chest. I know the puppy needs training but they are getting to know each other. My dog is allowed on the furniture and "worse" sleeps on the bed. Fortunately she can let herself out for a whizz in the night as she has a dog flap.
    Good luck OP with your unexpected new addition.

I realise, in here, I'm more the exception than the rule. A recent thread showing just how many let their pets sleep in their room, or 'worse' as I put it half awake earlier, in the bed!

That's my opinion. It may not be popular - and apologies if I sounded like I was on a high horse at 5.30 am. We take our dogs everywhere. But I just can't wrap my head around sharing a bed or room.

Hooked wrote: »
    But I just can't wrap my head around sharing a bed or room.

It's great in winter for heating the end of the bed! :p

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »

My OH has threatened to bring our 2 huskies into the bed when I'm not there. It doesnt get much more furry and warm than a double coated Sibe!

Edited to add... TWO double coated Sibes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Mine always come in when the OH is away, I think I need the company as much as they do!
    They come in every morning for a cuddle too, my OH has them in a bit of a bad habit of late, he gets up to go to the loo at about 5/6am (this morning it was 5.10am:o), our pair sleep just outside the door in the hall so as soon as he goes to the loo, Benson gets up and does a little dance outside the bathroom door and the OH can't resist his little face smiling up and him dancing away so he gets in for a cuddle, Coco makes him do all the work and just marches in when he gets the go ahead.:D

OP, have a look on Dog Star Daily, tons of info on the best way to raise a pup, also have a look at the before you get your puppy list and you can get a fairly comprehensive list of stuff to get for pup.

And photos please:D

http://www.dogstardaily.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭TextureLikeSun

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply its very much appreciated !!

Well we are on day 3 and surviving so far !!
    Crate seems to be an issue -made it cosy and have been putting her in and out with the door open.Also putting a tasty treat in a kong or a chew toy in there with her to maybe get her to stay in but no luck she just jumps back out .Any attempts to close the door and leave her in it is met with howls and wailing :(

Tried to settle her in it again last night at bedtime and it was terrible she howled and cried.Tried to let her maybe cry it out and hoped she would settle but it was extremely distressing for her and also it woke all the kids up !So i was bold (yes making a rod for my own back i know i know !!) and we bought her into bed.She slept ALL night!From 12 last night till 7.30 this morning!I feel like a new parent the first time a baby sleeps through the night :)

We bought her for her injections yesterday ( 58 euro !) and also got her wormed and treated for fleas.Vet checked her over said she seemed healthy and happy so delighted with that .Food wise she is eating a pouch of wet dog food a day -im not sure if this is ok in terms of suitability and amount?If anyone has any advise on that i would be delighted to hear it

I do have one worry and that is she doesnt seem to drink water?I have her bowl of fresh water out but i havent seen her drink ?

No name yet still being debated !!

Will add pic :)

Here she is !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ah christ there is no way I could say no to a pup like that.

Adorable.

• Advertisement

Tried to settle her in it again last night at bedtime and it was terrible she howled and cried.

We have a crate in the kitchen so I used to crate my pup when I was feeding her or if it wasn't meal time in with some toys/chews/treats and close the door when we were in the kitchen. She did cry at first for like 2 mins but would always settle, at times she'd be crying in the crate as she was collapsing falling asleep lol!! :p After a few weeks she was opening the crate with her nose and going in for a sleep. She's 1 now and is usually crated for meals so the dogs don't try and rob off each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

One pouch of food is not enough for a growing puppy. You need to get a good quality puppy food and feed 3-4 small meals a day.

andreac wrote: »
    One pouch of food is not enough for a growing puppy. You need to get a good quality puppy food and feed 3-4 small meals a day.

That's what I was thinking hence why I queried it.I asked my neighbour what they were feeding her and they said a pouch so I just copied that but it just didn't feel like enough to me so thank u for confirming that for me.Is there a brand in particular u recommend?I've just looked online and the choice is fairly overwhelming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

All depends on your budget really but try and get as good a quality you can afford.
    Stay away from the likes of pedigree, bakers, and anything that has cereal and/or meat/animal derivatives as the first ingredient.

Royal canin and hills aren't great even though they are quite expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Skinners from Amazon is good value but you will have to wait a few days for the bag to arrive.

You should also try feeding a bit of raw. Have a read of Dogsfirst.com for articles on raw feeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

tk123 wrote: »

Saves boiling the kettle for the hotwater bottle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

You will never get the puppy out off the bed now. When we got our dog four years ago we went through the exact same thing. He was grand during the day but when we went to bed at night and left him in the kitchen he howled and cried all night and he completely ate the lino beside the door and it was only down a week. This went on for a week until my husband could stand it no longer and like you he spent the next 4 nights on the armchair with the pup beside him. The pup never moved until the morning but the arnchair wasnt doing hubbys back any favours and we had to take him into the bed. So four years later he is still beside us in the bed.

lulu1 wrote: »
    You will never get the puppy out off the bed now. When we got our dog four years ago we went through the exact same thing. He was grand during the day but when we went to bed at night and left him in the kitchen he howled and cried all night and he completely ate the lino beside the door and it was only down a week. This went on for a week until my husband could stand it no longer and like you he spent the next 4 nights on the armchair with the pup beside him. The pup never moved until the morning but the arnchair wasnt doing hubbys back any favours and we had to take him into the bed. So four years later he is still beside us in the bed.

If the OP puts time in now to train the pup to be comfortable with being alone then there shouldn't be any problems. I say this having one dog with separation anxiety and one who doesn't.

Advertisement