Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The forest

Options
  • 19-05-2014 8:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭

1388478398_pre_1384176163__theforesttrailer05029801-41-57.jpg

The Forest comes out this Thursday (22nd May). It's an open world horror game that follows the story of a guy that luckily survives a plane crash and must withstand the crazed cannibalistic native tribes lurking in the forest (or that's the gist of it anyway). A strong Rust feeling about this one.....different from other survival horror games in that it's not a corridor shooter - instead you'll need to defend yourself by building massive walls and traps etc. Looks like a interesting one. Could be a lot of fun.
    Build, explore, survive in this terrifying first person survival horror simulator. Enter a living, breathing forest with changing weather patterns, plants that grow and die. Tides that roll in and out with the day/night cycle. Below ground explore a vast network of caves and underground lakes.

Chop down trees to build a camp, or start a fire to keep warm. Scavenge food to keep yourself from starving. Find and plant seeds to grow food.

Build a small shelter or a large ocean side fortress. Decorate your home with found items. Lay traps and defenses to keep a safe perimeter.

Explore and build during the day. Defend your base at night. Craft weapons and tools. Bunker down during the evening or bring the fight directly to the enemy. Fight or hide.

A new type of open world, survival horror experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Is it still on for this Thursday, they removed the date from Steam to Coming Soon.

Been looking forward to this game for a long time, moreso than Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs also being released this month.

A lot of cool ideas that will hopefully work out and it looks really good for an alpha game. The animations of the jungle people is pretty impressive and the environment looks great.

There seems to be a hint of I Am Legend to the game, as in are the jungle folk the enemies or are they reacting to your shenanigans making you out to be the enemy bothering them. I really like the concept that they mourn and protect each other in fights against you, you can see in that trailer that one guy his dragging his injured pal away from you.

I was hoping that I could use the Oculus Rift on release since they mentioned it quite a lot about it providing native support but saw earlier on the Steam page that it won't be included yet.

A plus though is that they're seriously considering co-op when earlier they weren't too bothered about it, it was one of the things I saw most people wanted out of the game so they seemed to have taken that on board.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This looks brilliant,How big is the world I wonder?

This looks brilliant,How big is the world I wonder?

Don't think I've ever seen it mentioned, but they did say they'll be adding to it as well as adding deeper caves.

Seems like it may be pushed back by a few days, seems to be confusion so far:
    B33pRky.png

EDIT: They just posted on their Facebook page that the 30th is the new date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

This looks like it could be a bit special alright. Making a solid SP experience first and exapnding later is a good idea, although co-op will be added too I hope. I'm glad that the enemies aren't actually other players - this should make The Forest a genuine survival horror game rather than one where the supposed threat is nullified or even replaced by MP action á la DayZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Completely forgot about this!!
    Not sure if I want to buy another early access game though.. If its under €25 i might pick it up.

Edit: According to Eurogamer its been pushed back 1 week and will come out on the 29th. It will be available for €10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

I apologize if this is was already posted.
    Beautiful game, found on steam. Sadly no MP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Release is later on today, been looking forward to this for a while. Only single player at the moment but they want to add coop in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Actually pretty interesting that they are focusing on SP. I know a lot of these games just tunnel right into the MP side of things and sort of make the survial part of the game almost entirely PVP based. Will probably pick it up if the early adapter reviews are decent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Crap,wanted to get this but I've too many games already :o

Think there was a thread already, but worth posting again - looks very good! Will be waiting before I buy though.

• Advertisement

Been waiting for ages for it and it comes out the weekend I'm going away :pac:

It doesn't need MP beyond coop, otherwise it would directly be up against Rust

Duggy747 wrote: »
    It doesn't need MP beyond coop, otherwise it would directly be up against Rust

Agreed - there are already loads of games covering the MP angle. What we need now (and looks like we're getting) is an actual "survival horror" that celebrates the fact that you're completely alone. Apart from the bloodthirsty mutants of course.

Anyone get it yet?

Yup got it when it released. Have played twice. It's class!! Very hard & creepy. Can't wait to play more

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Now THAT is a game I NEVER want to play on occulus rift

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

ktulu123 wrote: »
    Yup got it when it released. Have played twice. It's class!! Very hard & creepy. Can't wait to play more

Worth picking up or wait for patches. Saw some of your vid on you tube I believe.

Haven't bought it meself, but from what I've seen in the past few hours, this has great potential. Really feels like the forest itself is a living, breathing place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Glebee wrote: »
    Worth picking up or wait for patches. Saw some of your vid on you tube I believe.

Apparently you can't save atm so might be worth waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Crap,wanted to get this but I've too many games already :o

Really poor excuse man...:pac:

Gonna wait till I finish Watch_Dogs before I pick this up.
    Looks class!

• Advertisement

erkifino wrote: »
    Really poor excuse man...:pac:

Its a legitimate excuse :mad: excuse you :pac:

Can anyone who's been playing, tell me how much there is to do?

Like is there a decent amount of content?

Here's part one & two of my first life in the game:

Part 1 is starting off & attempting to build a hut thing while being scared ****less.

Part 2 kicks off with an encounter with the indigenous people

Enjoy!

I have played a few more hours since recording this & have enjoyed it. It is still VERY early alpha, i've encountered loads of bugs & some strange things.

As for content i'm not sure if there is a huge amount yet. I think I have explored most of the island & have found some of the nice hidden areas(There are massive under ground caves)

Base building etc is there although it may be a bit pointless committing so much time to building a nice base as the save game function is not working at the moment.

Just watched the first video
    That ending!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Apparently you can't save atm so might be worth waiting.

Haven't played myself but Steam is full of people complaining about this at the moment.Apparently won't be fixed for 2 weeks either, so probably not worth getting till then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

So what are the initial impressions?????

Still enjoying it, these two videos are from my next couple of lives.

Episode 1: I get a camp built & go exploring

Episode 2: I find the cave system & venture inside finding some scary ****!

Pity there's no save function I'd probably get it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

A survival horror with no save function surely adds to the survival part?

• Advertisement

It does yeah but every survival game so far has character saving when you log out/quit the game. I hope the save function only works for one life. When you die you start over again completely. Not at a spawn point at your camp

Advertisement