Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The forest

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ktulu123 wrote: »
    It does yeah but every survival game so far has character saving when you log out/quit the game. I hope the save function only works for one life. When you die you start over again completely. Not at a spawn point at your camp

Anymore videos on the way :D?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Hopefully soon, been busy over the weekend :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Good stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Finally got to play it on Monday and loved it, can see great potential for the game. It looks and runs great for me and the forest feels quite alive with all the wildlife (even if there is a bit too much of them at the moment, sometimes you get swamped with birds)

Met the mutants for the first time at the plane and was fascinated at how they acted; We stood staring at each other, I could see others in the woods flanking me, the leader ran towards me and stopped as he was trying to intimidate me. As soon as one smacked me from behind I fled while seeing them behind me climbing the trees to get a good look at me.

Got used to building and crafting items, some bugged out on me where I couldn't use the fire or log storage but, hey, it's a very early alpha.

One bit was where I built my wee shelter on the beach, I went to a spot to chop down a tree and bring logs back to it. When I returned to the chopped tree I bumped right into 2 mutants (they were investigating the sound) and got into a scrap with them.

I killed one while the other legged it off which I thought I was safe................until the bastard ran back to my shelter with about 7 of his buddies and they all surrounded me in a circle and beat me to death. They will kill you quite quickly while they take a hell of a beating, but running around in circles tends to throw them off.

The game is very buggy in it's current state and lack of save game is stopping me from playing it properly other than just to check out the mechanics of the game. Some major problems with memory leak and the mutants despawning leaving you alone on the island, sometimes I've had them vanish right in front of me.

A hotfix for the save game is coming (along with some other "major" fixes) but it seems to be a "It'll be done when it's done" patch, hopefully it won't take too long as I'm dying to really get into it. A proper update besides that is due in 2 weeks as per the countdown timer they have on the menu but we'll see how that works out considering the save feature probably held things back.

If all goes well in terms of what the developers (4 man team) have planned, this game could be great. The AI is very interesting and their animations are really fluid when they do things like climb and jump across trees.

Haven't been too deep into the caves yet but the Octopus Mutant and Spider Mutant are fùckin' rank looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"What are you doing? Get away from my base you fecking Gypos", ktulu123 2014

• Advertisement

haha A quality quote :P

Anyway there was a new patch today, here are the notes:
    Hey Everyone, Here’s our first small update to ‘The Forest’. While we were working on the saving issues we also had a chance to fix a few other things. Here is the changelog for the “hotfix”:

Saving at small shelter now works
    Fixed issue where camera would spin during plane crash if a controller was plugged in
    Fixed enemies sometimes disappearing after a few days
    Improved tree collision
    Fixed log cabin floating
    Fixed some leaves not connected to trunk
    Improved stuttering/performance
    Removed lights from blue cave creatures
    Fixed trees vanishing when exiting caves
    Fixed bug where cave sounds could be heard above ground
    Spelling mistake on shelter ‘warmth’ in book
    Improved collision in some cave areas
    Fixed missing cliff detail texture
    Ocean shouldn’t loose render texture on start
    Water visuals improved
    Fixed enemy head duplicating when picked up
    Fixed glitch where you could make infinite flare guns
    Fixed enemy head icon not centered, and showing an arm instead of a head
    Heads/arms and legs now go to inventory instead of being directly equipped
    Bird on hand does not appear as often

Haven't played it in 2 days but I think the save isn't fully working, if you don't complete your buildings you'll lose them and some of your inventory will be lost.

Think there might be other bugs from the hotfix but it's hard to tell from all the bitching and tantrums from people on the Steam forum, the idea of an alpha (a v0.01 pre-alpha, at that) alludes them.

I'll get a proper blast at it tonight and see how things go.

Got a few hours in and found a great spot to set up camp, an opening surrounded by trees with plentiful of animals to munch on.

39D46CCC2313E0D16C0EF7C2CF53B8A9EF2E1AC5

So peaceful and relaxing...
    76FF64BF511C0A5796CD8B63444BAF117EB2F991

I didn't need to build the hut but did it to give myself a goal, took a small while and 80 logs (a tree gives you 4 logs, you carry 2 at a time). Fortunately, the trees behind on a hill meant I could just slide the logs down which sped things up.

The mutants found out where I was and frequently attacked me. The odd time, when building my hut I'd turn around and see them silently watching me from the hills............no music to let me know they were there made it more creepy.

The flare gun is bugged at the moment with unlimited ammo so I shot the shìt out of them everytime they came by and managed to build the big effigys with all their body parts

1D30862626103E9A2C444DD2EB24AC11FB72C49A

It's great for keeping them away from you while you're inside the perimeter..............but it really pisses them off. As soon as the fire burns out they're in there like a shot and all of them attack you like rabid dogs, they definitely get far more vicious as the game goes on.

They left a huge amount of markings beside my camp to let others know I'm there.

Built some traps which worked once but you can't set them again, I think one was triggered by a rabbit which was a waste. The effigys are really your best pal in keeping them away from you.

The save function is sort of working, your buildings will remain but you will lose all of your inventory bar whatever your axe. That was supposed to be fixed with another mini fix today but it didn't work for me, possibly because I didn't restart Steam and get it.

I had to quit when I loaded up the game to see if the loading worked when suddenly 10 mutants arrived and almost killed me. Loaded the game up again, lit the effigys and more of them surrounded my camp so they've basically planned an assault on me.

Despite all the bugs, I'm loving the game. Found cutting the trees and building the hut quite satisfying while having to keep an eye out every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

I bought this thinking I'd have some fun with it, then I remembered I'm a coward with Survival/Horror. Here's to sleepless nights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Can someone tell me what the point of the cabin is?
    Because i just built one and there's no door or windows.. Seems pointless :pac:

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the point of the cabin is?
    Because i just built one and there's no door or windows.. Seems pointless :pac:

It's a bit pointless alright at the moment but came in handy for me when I logged back into my game.

Oh hello
    BD3CFC03BD30D3EBFA2F1BFB974ADD9B747BE65D

You look a bit angry, is it because I've poles made out of your friends?
    27EF30008EDCD9960A7A34AD97E3153F2A4E282C

Hiss all you want, I'm not letting you in. You're probably a bit smelly.
    DB2759C73A2A5C5C7C60DC2103FAFCAD069102A2

*My window friend decides to run off after a while of trying to attack me*

Much more angrier dude shows up with a torch
    82D91B60940FF343C43AABAF446453A61B57FE01

Yea, yea. Whaddya gonna do, ya can't touch me!!
    889D32C0656442C7B096E82E2CBB44D9161C1E15

Hang on, what's that in distance?
    E65CF75D8EC2A6FF25F8F9F8AD11A3E4B8B67603

Ah, brought some buddies, eh?......
    6E9A9AB0512987BDF83E7A8648A7AE2C324D3996

.......eh.........that's quite a lot of them, alright.........
    AEF9619A8D17B58BF4E6601A4BD978125C87FCD9

So are they unable to harm you in the hut?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Stoopid mutants.

Don't go right up against the window or else they'll get you, otherwise they'll just be swinging forever while you can smack them.

Eventually, more showed up and they managed to figure out how to come in through the door...............you really don't want that to happen, believe me :pac:

As the game goes on, their curiosity for you goes and they're insanely violent and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Can someone outline in basic terms the gameplay. What stops it from becoming repetitive slash boring? From what I've seen it seems, build hut while keeping enemies at bay and then... stand in hut? Make bigger hut?

Also hand combat in fps usually isn't very good, is it good in this?

Can someone outline in basic terms the gameplay. What stops it from becoming repetitive slash boring? From what I've seen it seems, build hut while keeping enemies at bay and then... stand in hut? Make bigger hut?

At the moment, in it's v0.01 alpha state, it's survival which isn't that easy at all. It's not like everything is fine during the day and then you hide like a puss at night, there's a constant threat and you have to watch your energy / hunger level quite frequently.

By the looks of the 3rd trailer, the mutants will have ways of getting into your base so you'll have to have traps, walls, etc, ready for them.

The mutants are curious about you at first but get a bit more vicious, when you build an effigy of their friends it really annoys them. They'll lay things down to let other patrols know where you're living so you'll be under different kinds of assaults.

The devs want to focus on something along the lines of where you'd have some kind of empathy for them, as they'll have rituals, protect each other in fights (dragging their injured away, coming back to retrieve friend's bodies, have funerals, revenge, etc). Something where they're seen more than bogeymen just to annoy you while you try and make a fancy fortress for yourself.

If you're encountered by the mutants while you have low energy you're almost as good as fùcked as you can't run and can barely defend yourself while they surround you. The AI so far is pretty good, some mutants will try and distract you while another will run up and clobber you from behind..............or climb the trees and jump down on top of you.

There seems to be some groundwork laid down for some kind of story (your son being taken at the start, tents pointing to some survivors of the plane crash, manifest of passengers, etc) and they have plans to expand on the game greatly.

There's a "peaceful mode" that'll be available if you want to play it without mutants and just do a Minecraft on it.

I quite like it, there's a lot of strafing to be done as the mutants charge and jump at you frequently, sort of like a bull coming at you. When you hit them it's satisfying enough as it feels like you're giving them proper thumps across the face, they have varying animations to being hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Can't say for The Forest but FPS melee can be done quite well. Things like TES give it a bad name. Think Chivalry and Dark Messiah Might & Magic, very good examples of how to do FPS combat.

In a sense I've been saved, The Forest wont start at all. In another sense, I'm getting really annoyed. I JUST WANT TO PLAY AND NOT SLEEP FOR A WEEK

Another hotfix came out last night to change location of the saves, moving them the registry (which was cutting information off) to the AppData folder.

If you lost your save you can carry it over by following this video, I got my save back this way:

He doesn't explain it very well but it's not hard to figure through the method in the video.

Still losing stuff in inventory but still keeping bits and pieces. Plus some things like log holder is working now which is handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

This looks amazing, especially for an Alpha. Looks tense as hell! Keep the videos coming, very enjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

So i got up early and decided to take a stroll, and right outside my campsite i see this.. i think the natives are trying to communicate or something ? maybe they want to be friends!
    The_Forest_2014_06_08_02_12_27_76.jpg

From playing today for a little bit, the Flare Gun is OP to the max. Literally no problem with anything in the area. Another thing, I fell off the smallest of ledges on the way to water to wash off blood and I died. Was pretty annoyed at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is a tenner on steam so I just downloaded it there. I'm extremely hungover and a bit fragile so this might be a bit stressful considering I get scared playing minecraft but sure I'll give it a lash.

Have not played it in a long time myself, it was scary. Good luck

They've added loads of new stuff. Gonna wait a few more weeks before I go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Is this exclusively single player? I genuinely don't have time for online games in my personal time

COYVB wrote: »
    Is this exclusively single player? I genuinely don't have time for online games in my personal time

Yep single player only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Lovely. I'll pick it up later so

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So it's grand in the beginning. I build a log cabin and a fire etc and then night time comes and just get assaulted by about 10 - 15 of the locals, wake up in the cave and when trying to find my way out I get killed by another one because I have almost 0 health. This has been my first 5 lives.

• Advertisement

Can you save now? What weapons do you have?

Advertisement