Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veggie garden under pylon

• 30-05-2014 6:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

A pylon travels behind my site , not a metal one , a large single pole carrying 2 wires high up and local houses pull off it along its length from next village.

I have a lot of ground under it but am slow to grow a garden there. I have lots of other areas but could I consider it an area for potato rotation ect every odd year? would you?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I don't understand the significance of the electricity pole. Are you saying it's causing an issue with growing stuff? How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I have some sympathy for the concern about electricity/radio waves around us, I can't see the pole in question being significant - if there are dangers from power they would be much more concentrated in your house where you are surrounded by cables. Also the huge pylons going across the countryside go over growing fields, if they were affecting crops it would be a visible anomaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭getaroom

An ESB pole two wires possibly with a transformer, practically every other field has one of these. No harm. Plant away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Maybe crackcrack30's concern is that the timber poles are creosote pressure treated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Thanks for reply's my concern would be the radio waves ect. the wires are approx 8-10 metres up ........ as pointed out they are in almost every crop field in the country. just wondering if it would be a concern for a small home grown organic garden . I have to move my garden for next season due to proximity to a garden project and would also like an area for rotation, I'll probably go ahead with it with the spuds ....cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement