Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock 5k, Sunday July 13 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Any info on this other than on the precision timing page ? Mrs Mule is interested in running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

According to the organiser, the route is to be announced this week - they also have a FB page, and there's posters around the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

I am signed up.
    The outline route is brilliant but will be challenging. Should be a great race and an excellent tribute to a wonderful person.
    There is massive work gone into it already

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Jmcmen wrote: »
    I am signed up.
    The outline route is brilliant but will be challenging. Should be a great race and an excellent tribute to a wonderful person.
    There is massive work gone into it already

OK, I give up. Where did you find the route?

I know a couple of the organisers. Think it might be Rubber stamped tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Its really a poor show that they still haven't given the details of the route, franky its just annoying now.

Its really a poor show that they still haven't given the details of the route, franky its just annoying now.

AFAIK it starts on the Carpenderstown Rd outside Castleknock College, Take a right and down tower Rd, left into the park at Mount Sackville, around by the OSI on Ordance Survey Rd, left onto Whites Rd, into Farmleigh Estate, out the back gate and right back onto Tower Rd and up the hill, in through the gates of Castleknock College to finishing area.

Thanks!!

Bump.

Route has been confirmed.

I can't link to it here, but it has an uphill start on White's Road and turns left at the crossroads, downhill past Mount Sackville and into the Park at Knockmaroon Gate. You then pass the Ordnance Survey and turn left, going through the grounds of Farmleigh before turning right back onto Tower Road. It's then uphill again, at the crossroads going through the gates of Castleknock College and (hopefully!) sprinting for the line.

yoinked from FB. I ran most of this route this morning, the farmleigh gate onto tower road is closed so that part of the run is off limits.

I'm really glad I finally got to try the route, the fist K is all downhill and since im not really all that fit, I found that I had really burned off most of my energy when it came to the long slow uphill back up through the park. The final stretch is a pretty steep climb, I think its really worth saving some juice for that but as I said, I didn't actually get to run that section this morning.

http://www.strava.com/routes/589406
    314056.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Think I'll pop out to this one in the morning. Haven't been running short distances in ages though and not familiar with the course so it'll be interesting to see how I get on. Certainly won't be breaking any records anyway.

Was a nice overcast day for it and everything went off without a hitch. Kudos to everyone involved, it was extremely well run and organised event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

Really enjoyed that run. Big crowd but very well managed. Hilly but not too hilly. A 1 second PB too on my first shorter road race in years.

One of the most enjoyable races I've attended. Really beautiful little course and incredibly well organised for its first year - long may it continue.

Unbelievable and hugely inspiring to see such a big crowd from the community come together for a great cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Ran this today and I must say for a 1st time event it was fantastic.
    Well organised, a nice route, great prizes and a great family and community event.

Kudo's to the organising committee (I know some of them), they put in many many hours making this a wonderful event.

One for the calendars next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

I just want to echo the positive comments - well done to Kate O'Neill and the crew on a fantastic event. It definitely deserves an annual calendar slot.

I was a bit apprehensive when I approached the start line from the White's gate side and found only a small number lining up, but I was blown away when I jogged up towards Castleknock College to be met by huge throngs of people heading to the start.

It's a wonderful route and the finishing stretch is particularly majestic.

And, since we have had talk in the past about such things, the T-shirt has been much admired and they raised €45k for their chosen charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

I've done a few small 5Ks & 10Ks this summer. This race had 1,000+ participants but still managed to feel like a small, local, family & community race.

Pre-race: Very short & fast-moving queues for the race numbers on the morning. Loads of space to warm up in the college's sports grounds. There was a bit of congestion around the start line as runners walked over from the college, passed under the start gantry, and turned around to start the race.

During: It's not a PB route, but it was very nice and scenic. The first 1.5km of the route as far as the park was almost all downhill. But it was not until I came out the other end of the park before I felt I was climbing. Even then, the hills were not too bad. Marshals were excellent, friendly and informative. Thank you to the guy at 4K calling out the positions as we ran by, helped me push a bit and catch the two guys in front of me. Measurement of the course was bang on 5km.

After: loads of fruit, great cakes, and a really friendly atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RenegadeDisco

krafty wrote: »
    I've done a few small 5Ks & 10Ks this summer. This race had 1,000+ participants but still managed to feel like a small, local, family & community race.

Pre-race: Very short & fast-moving queues for the race numbers on the morning. Loads of space to warm up in the college's sports grounds. There was a bit of congestion around the start line as runners walked over from the college, passed under the start gantry, and turned around to start the race.

During: It's not a PB route, but it was very nice and scenic. The first 1.5km of the route as far as the park was almost all downhill. But it was not until I came out the other end of the park before I felt I was climbing. Even then, the hills were not too bad. Marshals were excellent, friendly and informative. Thank you to the guy at 4K calling out the positions as we ran by, helped me push a bit and catch the two guys in front of me. Measurement of the course was bang on 5km.

After: loads of fruit, great cakes, and a really friendly atmosphere.

I thought the start was a mess.

My time didn't match my Strava time (race time couple minutes slower then Strava). I presume the start-line didn't activate the timing chip but your time is based off the 'starting gun' going off which is annoying.

I got stuck way too far back at the start, and hence decided to just cruise around for the most part. Spent virtually the whole race passing people, with only a few passing me. Time was 22:53, two minutes slower than my PB, but I had lots of energy for a sprint finish during which I passed Eamonn Coghlan (I think!) and several others. I remember cheering him on in so many races as a kid. Little did I know then, that one day I would be in a race with him! Fair play to all the organisers, great turnout and lots of money raised. Unfortunately I couldn't hang around to sample the cakes...maybe next year :)

Time was 22:53, two minutes slower than my PB, but I had lots of energy for a sprint finish during which I passed Eamonn Coghlan (I think!) and several others. I remember cheering him on in so many races as a kid. Little did I know then, that one day I would be in a race with him!
    I passed him on the second kilometre myself.

Considering his PB is about ten minutes faster than he ran yesterday, it's likely that yesterday is the only time most of us can ever say we "competed" with him - THIRTY years after his prime!!

• Advertisement

I thought the start was a mess.

My time didn't match my Strava time (race time couple minutes slower then Strava). I presume the start-line didn't activate the timing chip but your time is based off the 'starting gun' going off which is annoying.

It was a bit of a mess as they really should have been telling joggers and walkers to make their way to the back and fast runners to come to the front. Im not a fast runner but my wife is and she missed her PB only because of the fact that so many daytrippers were bundled near the front. She was still having to run around groups of 3 and 4 until a good bit down tower road.

Also you are measured in gun time officially but on precision timing you also get your chip time. My Garmin time was bang on my chip time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 RenegadeDisco

Also you are measured in gun time officially but on precision timing you also get your chip time. My Garmin time was bang on my chip time.

Ah I see that now thanks, my 'lap time' matches back to Strava on the PrecisionTiming website. Same time as E Coughlan so I'm happy :)

Fabulous Day, wonderful community spirit, great organisation, start not perfect but that was the only thing in my book. An amazing effort by Kate, Kev, Gav and Marie

Plus I gave the run a good lash and was delighted with my result.

Well done to everyone once again

Advertisement