Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tumbler composter

• 30-05-2014 7:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

I was at Bloom yesterday and saw a tumbler composter on display. Has anyone else used one, are they any good, or worth the investment. The idea of not having to turn the compost manually is very appealing!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭qzy

I have one at home and it makes great compost reasonably quickly, and you can put a tray underneath and harvest the liquid that comes out. BUT, they are quite expensive and I have managed to bend the pole that goes throught the middle, probably from over filling it. This has caused a problem where the plastic is starting to split a bit at the side. I would probably buy another one but not at the current prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Same here. I have one and the bar in the middle actually snapped. It was my fault for putting too much in but then how much is enough/too much. It's hard to judge. They are expensive but I got mine for free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭ocy

We have the little pig tumbler
    https://www.quickcrop.ie/product/little-pig-compost-tumbler
    like the one above. We have it a few years so I'd say over all it has paid for itself as opposed to pay by weight bin charges. Saying that we don't put grass in it (compost it seperately)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have a pig composter also, bought it to compost nappies, but that was not successful.

It does deal with everything else (cooked, raw, meat etc) very well.

The trick is not to overfill, (I put a lot of uncooked veg peels etc into a regular composter), and to keep the moisture content right (sawdust or wood shavings, I buy bags for guinea pig / rabbit hutches).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thank you all for the replies. The one on the quickcrop link above is very expensive. The one I saw at Bloom was €139 inc vat from McQuillans Tools. It was plastic on a tubular frame. I don't have bin charges, it was the laziness aspect that appealed to me. I, too, would be tempted to overfill, so I'll heed the warnings! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i gave one away recently; the space required for it to be able to turn it in comfort allowed for nearly two dalek style composters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

i gave one away recently; the space required for it to be able to turn it in comfort allowed for nearly two dalek style composters.

I love the compost bins described as "daleks", brilliant, I'll never think of them now as anything else!

Space isn't a problem, I live out the country, I just wanted to check if they were as good as the advertising blurb says they are, or will I be wasting my money. The daleks work pretty well.

Advertisement