Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JUNE '14- DELAY GROUP : VETTING AWAY & PCA VERY SOON

Options
  • 30-05-2014 9:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi folks
    sorry, I know there are a load of threads on here, but personally starting to find it all hard to follow.....and the new list didnt seem to work out...
    hope you dont mind me starting a new 1, not just to wish folks all the best, but hoping to get to liaise bit more with ones at same stage too.

PCA in few weeks time (cant give dates obviously- but if in same boat, and were at show&tell few weeks ago, you will know).......how you all feeling about it ??? personally cant wait to just get it done (and of course hopefully pass).....would be good to keep eachother updated as to how things are progressing at our stage maybe??...at the end of the day, those successful (even if not me) could be starting together (eventually!):confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭col212

Yes good idea for this thread, I'm in the same boat, looking forward to the pca. After seeing the online video of the pca a couple of days ago, I was surprised at how casually the girl could do the lap in just over one minute, doesn't seem there is any need to put everything into the first lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

In this group too. That's exactly what I thought about the video lol it's like she's just out for a dander.

Really looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

thanks folks!! welcome to "our team" !! --
    i didnt time that video, but meant to! -- is that all she took 1 min???!!??
    funny, a serving officer did say to me not to overdo it in first lap as that is one of the most common mistakes - same some in the tank for last lap! hard to do i'm sure, when the adrenaline is flowing, but general consenus from anyone who has passed, was to pace around it so as not to knock anything down- if you go full pelt, more likely to do something silly and be busted by last lap....
    its been very much appreciated getting the advice from those who have already done it...and to be fair, we are in a better position for that advice.
    i know there are 3 time slots on the day of my PCA.....I'm afternoon.....what about yourselves?

vickmackey wrote: »
    funny, a serving officer did say to me not to overdo it in first lap as that is one of the most common mistakes - same some in the tank for last lap! hard to do i'm sure, when the adrenaline is flowing, but general consenus from anyone who has passed, was to pace around it so as not to knock anything down- if you go full pelt, more likely to do something silly and be busted by last lap....
    its been very much appreciated getting the advice from those who have already done it...and to be fair, we are in a better position for that advice.
    i know there are 3 time slots on the day of my PCA.....I'm afternoon.....what about yourselves?

At the info session I attended the person there said the woman in the video was doing it 'on pace' at 1min10.

I'll have to have a wee think about strategy as I was just goin to belt around it but it does same that pacing yourself could have its benefits. Decisions decisions...

Am in morning session. Think there are 2 dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

I've done my PCA and I have to agree with you. Pace it is better. I did the first lap fast and was exhausted by the 3rd lap plus you have to do the push pull immediately after so make sure you've got some energy left for it. I know there were really fit guys in my session who went in fast but had to repeat 2 or 3 obstacles and either failed or reckoned they only just passed. I did mine clean so I reckon that's how I passed. Good luck chick x

• Advertisement

i know Dekkers -- automatic instinct is to belt it out....but if thats what is causing fails, then bit more cautious may be best......but then again, if i fail, i will always think should have gone faster! "damned if you do, damned if you dont"
    ...unless you pass of course!! :-)
    though thats very interesting if she is doing it at the right pace....
    yes, defo 2 dates....mine is 2nd date....first one is 4 days before it.....dunno if 3 sessions that day....but my date has early morning /mid morning /early afternoon.

Mop a top wrote: »
    I've done my PCA and I have to agree with you. Pace it is better. I did the first lap fast and was exhausted by the 3rd lap plus you have to do the push pull immediately after so make sure you've got some energy left for it. I know there were really fit guys in my session who went in fast but had to repeat 2 or 3 obstacles and either failed or reckoned they only just passed. I did mine clean so I reckon that's how I passed. Good luck chick x

again, great to get advice from someone who has just been through it! cheers:cool: ....did you find the time flew in, or seemed like forever? -- i'm sure it seemed like an eternity waiting to open your letter outside!?:confused:

have to say, you have put some very informative and helpful comments on the forum, thankyou.......and you must be very proud (and well deserved!) to be at the stage you are at now-- well done!!!:D

Argh torture! If only they'd let us have 1 timed lap ha that's all you'd need to plan it

Thanks my lovely!!!! Family are worried about me potentially in a "mans world" lmfao I'm pumped and waiting for "the call"

I tried to pace myself going round it. You'll probably laugh at this but pick a catchy tune about 3 mins long. I had tsunami it's about 2.40, gets you pumped too lol. Anyway when you start your first lap start that playing in your head, I love music so it wasn't a problem lol it will give you a good indicator how long you've got left. Plus it's a minute short of the pass time so you know when it finishes in your head how long you've got left.

My only problem was that in our group we were all having a laugh singing eye of the tiger while we were waiting so it kind of threw me off, hence I went hell for leather the first lap then settled for the last 2 with a bit of Tiniest Tempah in my head lol

You need any more advice give me a shout x

thankyou very much!
    dunno how the heck you managed to even think of a tune! (know what you mean though regarding using it as timing .. reminds me of an old Bruce Willis film "Hudson Hawk" !!) -- fair play to you!
    i'm glad that at least youz had bit of craic before you went in too -- people were so stand offish at my AC and IST.... some lovely ones at the fam-day though, and a lot more chat and interaction, which there should be - at the end of the day, no matter what stage any of us are at, if we get through we could all be serving together, so nice to get to know people.
    really appreciate advice, yet again -- best of luck with next stage! are you waiting on medical still Mop-a-Top? or awaiting the "call of the wild"!!??

• Advertisement

Definitely tense when you get there but it think it's cos there's light at the end of the tunnel and that lightens the mood, either that or the put all us muppets in together lol!!!

Done my medical a couple weeks ago so waiting on thee call lol!!! Been told it's about 5/6 weeks between intakes so hopefully I'll have some good news for my daddy by Father's Day lol if not I'll continue stating at the phone trying to make it ring for the next 5 weeks

yes, defo 5 weeks between startups.
    fantastic, well done!! (very jealous though! )
    defo not muppets.....they are all politicians!! ;-)
    just think .....phonecall in June....for start 5wks after that.....you'll fairly be able to enjoy July!!!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

I would definately pace yourself. I gave it everything the whole way and was completely busted on the third lap. I didnt care though as long as I passed.

yes, defo 5 weeks between startups.
    fantastic, well done!! (very jealous though! )
    defo not muppets.....they are all politicians!! ;-)
    just think .....phonecall in June....for start 5wks after that.....you'll fairly be able to enjoy July!!!! :-)

Thanks so much :D you'll get there just don't give up and think positive. I had ones doubting me but I just kept going. I'm a bit stubborn like that lol. Fingers crossed for June. I'll be spending whatever time I have in July with my kids making sure they're having the best start to their summer holidays. Going to miss them but it will benefit them in the long run. More sane mummy, more time with their dad and I get to give them a better lifestyle.

What training are you doing for PCA?

is right, defo all that matters is a pass!! well done, and thankyou for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shaved Fish

In the same group myself! As others have said, I do feel better about the PCA having seen the video the PSNI released.

So there's 6 sessions with 18 in each then.

They'll be rightly through the list by the end of that week.

Incidentally, do we think people in 1st session are ahead of those in the last session, or are we all just bunged in together?

Thanks so much :D you'll get there just don't give up and think positive. I had ones doubting me but I just kept going. I'm a bit stubborn like that lol. Fingers crossed for June. I'll be spending whatever time I have in July with my kids making sure they're having the best start to their summer holidays. Going to miss them but it will benefit them in the long run. More sane mummy, more time with their dad and I get to give them a better lifestyle.

What training are you doing for PCA?

good for you!
    yes, i'm sure you will miss the kids -- remember you saying you had 3??
    i've 1 baby and it'll kill me being away from her (and my lovely wife!), but as you say, its all to provide a better life for the family!!:)

currently training 5 mornings a week - 4 intense circuits and 1 general stuff with loads of stretching -- so cant really do much more
    i've always trained at something, so not that daunted by it as such, more just want to get at it!!

good for you!
    yes, i'm sure you will miss the kids -- remember you saying you had 3??
    i've 1 baby and it'll kill me being away from her (and my lovely wife!), but as you say, its all to provide a better life for the family!!:)

currently training 5 mornings a week - 4 intense circuits and 1 general stuff with loads of stretching -- so cant really do much more
    i've always trained at something, so not that daunted by it as such, more just want to get at it!!

Yeah single mum of 3 lol!! Need my head examined but really looking forward to it.

You should be grand then! Just watch the steps up and down. There's a pole across the top, you literally use every muscle with the push pull.

Dekkers wrote: »
    So there's 6 sessions with 18 in each then.

They'll be rightly through the list by the end of that week.

Incidentally, do we think people in 1st session are ahead of those in the last session, or are we all just bunged in together?

good question! wonder if they are doing them with highers grades on first date....so then potentially first for medicals, then calls......or maybe i am overthinking it?:confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah single mum of 3 lol!! Need my head examined but really looking forward to it.

You should be grand then! Just watch the steps up and down. There's a pole across the top, you literally use every muscle with the push pull.

really you are looking to get in there for a break!!?? ;):p
    i'm a shortass, so not much will my head:eek:
    and i'm 14 stone, so hopefully my fat ass will help!:o

good question! wonder if they are doing them with highers grades on first date....so then potentially first for medicals, then calls......or maybe i am overthinking it?:confused:

I dunno! I know there's a mix of 66 and 67 and possibly the odd higher score so you'd imagine there must be some sort of correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

In the same group myself! As others have said, I do feel better about the PCA having seen the video the PSNI released.

Its tougher than the video makes out, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gvillehopeful

Hey just got my forms today. Guess I should expect another bit of a wait until PCA and Medical? Also do those dates come via email or post. And lastly, can I get a haircut been too worried of getting it cut in case the dates came very quick and was under 3cm lol

Hey just got my forms today. Guess I should expect another bit of a wait until PCA and Medical? Also do those dates come via email or post. And lastly, can I get a haircut been too worried of getting it cut in case the dates came very quick and was under 3cm lol

you should get PCA date in post in next couple of days - though the date will be about 6 weeks away (going by how ours worked)
    I've a skinhead (well, ok, i'm baldy!;)), so if i get to medical, they can shave anywhere else they need!! :D
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gvillehopeful

you should get PCA date in post in next couple of days - though the date will be about 6 weeks away (going by how ours worked)
    I've a skinhead (well, ok, i'm baldy!;)), so if i get to medical, they can shave anywhere else they need!! :D
    good luck

Cheers. I think I might prefer losing the body hair, scalp is thinning as it is, hopefully after this I'll have a career with a hat to cover it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭monty46

What scores did you's guys get in ac?? Just wondering as i havent been hone today and dont fancy getting my hopes up for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

Got my vettin forms this mornin aswel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kitkat5

How's everyone feeling who has their pca soon? I'm gyming it lots since familiarisation, but hoping I haven't left it too late for the strength for push/pull!

• Advertisement

Kitkat5 wrote: »
    How's everyone feeling who has their pca soon? I'm gyming it lots since familiarisation, but hoping I haven't left it too late for the strength for push/pull!
    just want to get at it!!! the waiting is nightmare!
    going on what the young ladies on the show&tell day said, the main thing is to make sure you use your whole body, not just your arms. and not to focus on speed/trying to do it too fast, more better to have more power at slower rate, as its the force thats measured, not the amount of times it moves...hard to get a machine to mimic it tho at the gym.
    do you mind saying- are you the 1st or 2nd day of pca? and early / mid/ later time slot (we obviously arent giving specific details on this)

Advertisement