Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JUNE '14- DELAY GROUP : VETTING AWAY & PCA VERY SOON

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kitkat5

vickmackey wrote: »
    just want to get at it!!! the waiting is nightmare!
    going on what the young ladies on the show&tell day said, the main thing is to make sure you use your whole body, not just your arms. and not to focus on speed/trying to do it too fast, more better to have more power at slower rate, as its the force thats measured, not the amount of times it moves...hard to get a machine to mimic it tho at the gym.
    do you mind saying- are you the 1st or 2nd day of pca? and early / mid/ later time slot (we obviously arent giving specific details on this)

First day, middle ...

I'm looking forward to it too! Just really hope it goes my way. I wish the machine was a wall and then I could really push my body into it, I'm not sure I'll be able to get the technic right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Kitkat5 wrote: »
    First day, middle ...

I'm looking forward to it too! Just really hope it goes my way. I wish the machine was a wall and then I could really push my body into it, I'm not sure I'll be able to get the technic right.

Not sure if you know but you get invited to a PCA familiarisation day. You can complete all the obstacles individually as much as you like and have a go at the push pull. They'll tell you if you're doing enough and the girls give you good advice and a demo on how to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

First day, middle ...

the only things in the gym that will help build strength in that muscle area are press-up types / bench press / seated chest press movements for the forward action, and seated / standing rows for backward pulling motion... if you try to build your strength in them (you still have time) and then do each exercise for 30 secs as heavy and hard as you can -- the time limit is 20 secs, so if you really practice for 30 secs, the 20 will not seem as bad when you are wrecked after circuit -- even practice jogs/sprints and then straight on to pressups & standing rows....
    hope that is of help :confused:
    oh, and good luck!!

Mop a top wrote: »
    Not sure if you know but you get invited to a PCA familiarisation day. You can complete all the obstacles individually as much as you like and have a go at the push pull. They'll tell you if you're doing enough and the girls give you good advice and a demo on how to do it.
    the staff were very helpful:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Just make sure yous all bring copious amounts of water!!!

• Advertisement

pcplod wrote: »
    Just make sure yous all bring copious amounts of water!!!

Definitely!!!! The air in the gym was so dry we were all coughing our lungs up by the end of it

Definitely!!!! The air in the gym was so dry we were all coughing our lungs up by the end of it
    funny, everyone has mentioned tha air in the hall -- they must put the heating up for the day of the test!! :eek:
    thanks folks....i'll defo have to wear a nappy as i'll already be wetting myself!:o

i think i was the worst off in my session, i hobbled out of the hall and uttered the words "f*****g hell" lol

i think i was the worst off in my session, i hobbled out of the hall and uttered the words "f*****g hell" lol

First girl in at ours was supposed to go to her granddad funeral afterwards but broke her ankle on the drop down from the wall. Had a couple throw up too. Positive mindset helps, I wasn't too positive before and after but on the way round I was then the doubt sets in when you're trying to read their faces lol

First girl in at ours was supposed to go to her granddad funeral afterwards but broke her ankle on the drop down from the wall. Had a couple throw up too. Positive mindset helps, I wasn't too positive before and after but on the way round I was then the doubt sets in when you're trying to read their faces lol

oh aye that was the same session as me, i forgot about that girl!!!!!! Ok maybe i wasn't the worst off.......

• Advertisement

oh aye that was the same session as me, i forgot about that girl!!!!!! Ok maybe i wasn't the worst off.......

Poor girl. Felt so sorry for her. Found out at the medical that she definitely broke it. They'd offered her another date at the end of April but she wouldn't have been able to do it then. Wonder if they'll let her pick up where she finished off at in this new 2014 campaign?

ok, never mind wetting myself......think i've just soiled myself!!:eek::o

ok, never mind wetting myself......think i've just soiled myself!!:eek::o

Lmfao!!!!! You can imagine how the rest of us felt lol

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭LG1985

I think im gonna boke after readin that!!!

Lol not that bad my lovely. Positive thoughts and preparation

So everyone keeps tellin me :p

the only things in the gym that will help build strength in that muscle area are press-up types / bench press / seated chest press movements for the forward action, and seated / standing rows for backward pulling motion... if you try to build your strength in them (you still have time) and then do each exercise for 30 secs as heavy and hard as you can -- the time limit is 20 secs, so if you really practice for 30 secs, the 20 will not seem as bad when you are wrecked after circuit -- even practice jogs/sprints and then straight on to pressups & standing rows....
    hope that is of help :confused:
    oh, and good luck!!

Thanks! :) that is helpful and reassures me abit because I've been doing a machine that works you chest by pushing arms in and back, one where you pull back and one for shoulders where you pull down, not sure what they all are but I can manage 25- 30 kgs in them so hopefully that will be enough!!! Although I have to bench press the bar at the gym with no weight on it, cause the bars so heavy! Hurts so much the next day, but it's good work out pain!

Thanks! :) that is helpful and reassures me abit because I've been doing a machine that works you chest by pushing arms in and back, one where you pull back and one for shoulders where you pull down, not sure what they all are but I can manage 25- 30 kgs in them so hopefully that will be enough!!! Although I have to bench press the bar at the gym with no weight on it, cause the bars so heavy! Hurts so much the next day, but it's good work out pain!

If it's an Olympic bar, then it's 20kg alone! So you sound like you're doing great! And remember you'll have your bodyweight and momentum and adrenaline on the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

General barbell/compound movements are what you want. A general strength program involving the big three (bench, squat, deadlift) with a barbell row and an overhead press would be good. To get more advanced than that I'd actually say a relatively close approximation for building total pushing strength is the barbell push press. Pulling would be approximated by deadlifts and perhaps a pendlay row, but get general strength training with free weights rather than on the machines so you can get your whole body involved

Chick I haven't been gyming it. I'm just out running a couple of times a week. Horse riding twice a week and kick boxing. You should be grand :)

• Advertisement

Chick I haven't been gyming it. I'm just out running a couple of times a week. Horse riding twice a week and kick boxing. You should be grand :)

Horse riding is so good, I've only done it a few times but it's deffinately a work out and kickboxing will deffo have you good for the pushpull

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭col212

Oh my god I'm having these crazy ideas about setting up some sort of replica pca course out my back garden/side of house, even dug out the measurements, imagine what the neighbours would think lol.

col212 wrote: »
    Oh my god I'm having these crazy ideas about setting up some sort of replica pca course out my back garden/side of house, even dug out the measurements, imagine what the neighbours would think lol.
    think dragging the bodybag about would defo get some tongues wagging!!;)

think dragging the bodybag about would defo get some tongues wagging!!;)

Wud def get people talking anyways!!! Lol!!

Did anyone else read over their vetting forms about 1000 times before actually sending them .. I swear iv looked over mine a crazy amount of times :-/

LG1985 wrote: »
    Did anyone else read over their vetting forms about 1000 times before actually sending them .. I swear iv looked over mine a crazy amount of times :-/
    yup yup yup!! thats why i got my wife to read over them - a fresh pair of eyes.....you could glance over the same simple mistake 20 times and not realise its a mistake!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

hey all, I posted on the PCA thread but just to let you know got my PCA date today, loads of notice :)

missyme82 wrote: »
    hey all, I posted on the PCA thread but just to let you know got my PCA date today, loads of notice :)
    happy days ... plenty of time to really focus on the training now!
    best of luck -- make sure you get to the fam day as defo worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭missyme82

happy days ... plenty of time to really focus on the training now!
    best of luck -- make sure you get to the fam day as defo worth it.

have you had pca yet?

• Advertisement

missyme82 wrote: »
    have you had pca yet?
    not yet -- but very very soon!! fam day was 4 weeks ago, just to give idea, as it sounds like you have been given same amount of notice.

ask as many questions as you need on the fam day - staff were happy to answer any question they could. very helpful.

Advertisement