Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help in HL english

Options
  • 30-05-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Well as you all now the english exam is so close now.
    I need serious help in the drama and fiction and especially the ESSAYS
    I am studying the field and to kill a mockingbird.
    I got 71 in the mocks(easily marked) and i want at least a B in the real thing
    Is there any sites to help me with drama.The field

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

I didn't study "The Field" but as with all dramas/plays know the KEY scene well. A question can be based on any aspect of that. In that key scene, know the roles the characters play and know all about those characters themselves. Know the opening scene well and the closing scene too. Know all of the themes and the world of the play. Is there a theme of prejudice? Make sure you're able to write about that on the day. Don't forget to quote! You will lose marks for not quoting. After your quote, don't forget to explain (follow the PQE - Point, Quote, Explain) format. Please don't worry about the length of your answer/essay. I wrote nearly 2 pages on a 15 mark answer and only got 11/15. Quality over quantity is very important. But as a rule of thumb write 2 points for every 5 marks the question is worth. BUT, examiners can give you marks for one point as long as its well supported. They want to see a personal response, so don't forget that!

I did, however, study "To Kill A Mockingbird" and what I did was learn 1 "skillfully written scene" (my teacher chose the scene with the Lynch Mob/Tom/Atticus and the children. You can also choose the scene where Bob Ewell chases the children) I also created a mindmap of a "character I would like to be." I chose Atticus and mentioned how he's humble, kind, believes in equality etc. Know about the opening and closing of the novel and how a key character develops (Scout). A relationship between two characters would be handy (Calpurnia and Scout - Scout dislikes Cal at the start, but realises how much she cares for her as the story moves along.) And know your themes!! Prejudice is the central theme and you can easily develop an answer about how the coloured community of Maycomb are discriminated against.

sparknotes and e-xamit have very good sample answers/notes on both your studied play and novel. Hope this somehow helped.

Remember: examiners want to give you marks! Best of luck with your studies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭coolerboy

Thanks a mil.Do you know any websites with The Field notes

coolerboy wrote: »
    Thanks a mil.Do you know any websites with The Field notes

I don't know unfortunately. I thought sparknotes had some, but I can't seem to find it :(

yvngceebs wrote: »
    I don't know unfortunately. I thought sparknotes had some, but I can't seem to find it :(

Do you know how to improve on essays.And which is the easiest type to do.im thicking of debate style

Do you know how to improve on essays.And which is the easiest type to do.im thicking of debate style

We all have different ways of improving our essay writing, but I really recommend (especially as this is the last weekend) to sit down, set a timer for 1hr and write away. You will only have about 1hr-1hr 10 mins to write a composition worth 70 marks, so please manage your time carefully. Go online, look at the marking scheme and make sure that your composition matches the requirements (Content (20 marks), Structure (15 marks), Expression (30 marks) and Mechanics (5 marks.) Personally, I read a lot of books to work on my vocab and my expression but that might be different for you. Make sure to work on any spelling mistakes you've had in past compositions and work on eliminating them.

In regards to the "easiest type" there really is none. I've always been an avid short story reader so I plan on doing the short story option. Many think this is the hardest but I find it the easiest by far. However, I dislike debates and you may love them. I suggest you compare your marks between any short story/personal essay/descriptive essay/debate/speech you've done in the past and choose which style suits you.

• Advertisement

yvngceebs wrote: »
    We all have different ways of improving our essay writing, but I really recommend (especially as this is the last weekend) to sit down, set a timer for 1hr and write away. You will only have about 1hr-1hr 10 mins to write a composition worth 70 marks, so please manage your time carefully. Go online, look at the marking scheme and make sure that your composition matches the requirements (Content (20 marks), Structure (15 marks), Expression (30 marks) and Mechanics (5 marks.) Personally, I read a lot of books to work on my vocab and my expression but that might be different for you. Make sure to work on any spelling mistakes you've had in past compositions and work on eliminating them.

In regards to the "easiest type" there really is none. I've always been an avid short story reader so I plan on doing the short story option. Many think this is the hardest but I find it the easiest by far. However, I dislike debates and you may love them. I suggest you compare your marks between any short story/personal essay/descriptive essay/debate/speech you've done in the past and choose which style suits you.

Something on WW1 is likely to come up as it is the 100 year anniversairy.do you think i should do some research

Something on WW1 is likely to come up as it is the 100 year anniversairy.do you think i should do some research

WWI for English? Would it not stand a better chance coming up for the History exam? Research away if you want to :) Just don't bank on that prediction

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

WW1 isn't on the JC History course, only its aftermath.
    It's on the ESS History JC course.

spurious wrote: »
    WW1 isn't on the JC History course, only its aftermath.
    It's on the ESS History JC course.

Whats ESS history

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Whats ESS history

Environmental and Social Studies - it's an alternative to History and Geography, been an option since 1992 or so. About 50 schools do it.
    It's taught in an integrated way and has a Field Study and a Research project as part of its assessment. The exam is on the same day as Geography.
    Much of the course is the same as standard History and Geography with some extra bits and some bits left out. World War One is one of the extra bits.

• Advertisement
Advertisement