Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

Ehm, id say they would be strict to a point like if ya missed it by 1 or 2 they might give leeway, seemed to me like they wanted us to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Padraigw

Not too bad so, hopefully it goes well

Best of luck, just keep pushing through. Don't give up till youre forced to by an assessor...im not fit by any means and i managed it so anyone can Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Padraigw

Sound, thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Can anyone confirm the number of shuttles in each level after today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cloudflyer

well done to all who passed. can anyone confirm the shuttles in the beep test for defenate. It seems to be a sort of state secret this beep test. also anyone who has been training at home getting to level 5/6 in beep have ye been able to get over the hurdle. I get to level 6 on the app level 8.1 seems a long way away. im doing 12 hour nights shifts and practising in work carpark at 4am in the cold wind and rain in trousers and thermals so hopefully indoor with everyone else in shorts and tshirt i may get another level or this may be wishfull thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

im just about hitting the 8.8. kinda struggling with te push ups and sit upp so imdoing a lot of strength and core training

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭HighTower88

The bleep test conducted in the college does seem a little easier than the iTunes or App versions . Being indoors and running as part of a group makes a big difference.

It's definitely easier there...I wasn't hitting 5.4 when doing it outdoors to begin with then I started using an app for doing it on the threadmill...I trained that for a bit then did absolutely nothing for about 4 days before the assessment fully sure I'd fail and I managed 8.8.

If you pace yourself at the beginning you'll be fine. I was next to one lad and we stayed right long side each other the whole way and it helped. I was a fair bit out of breath afterwards but still managed it.

The sit ups are tough but again easier on the day with the rush and other people next to you got the last one done with a second to spare.

Push ups are fine they just take practice and you can always stop on position before continuing just don't give up.

Honestly, I'm not in good shape whatsoever and I managed it so I wouldn't worry too much.

As far as I know the 8.8 beep test had 54 lenghts in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mark010

Lads its the Loughborough 20m Shuttle test,

As Omahony92 said don't go fast through the first stages keep a slow pace and make the line right on the beep. Seen a few busting a gut in the first few stages then dying in the later stages. Encourage each other but don't worry about how fast others are going. If you are at stage 5 or 6 and feel like giving up... don't!! remember as the beeps get faster so do the stages, so the time from stage 6 to 8 is probably only a couple of minutes long. So remember even though its stage 5 or 6 and you start to feel tired and out of breath so will others but your less than 2 minutes away from finishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 kartkrazy

cloudflyer wrote: »
    well done to all who passed. can anyone confirm the shuttles in the beep test for defenate. It seems to be a sort of state secret this beep test. also anyone who has been training at home getting to level 5/6 in beep have ye been able to get over the hurdle. I get to level 6 on the app level 8.1 seems a long way away. im doing 12 hour nights shifts and practising in work carpark at 4am in the cold wind and rain in trousers and thermals so hopefully indoor with everyone else in shorts and tshirt i may get another level or this may be wishfull thinking.

beep test from what i remember is 3 levels of 6 shuttles,2 of 7,2 of eight and 9 shuttles in level 8.
    Dont worry about not reaching your required level in training, as the rest have said its a lot easier on the day when there is a group of you. I was pooped at level 4 training with the app about 4 weeks ago so youll be fine.
    Even on the day I was starting to feel it at level 6, just put it in your head that youve been waiting 2 years to do it a couple more laps arent going to hold you back.
    Remember the mind always gives up before the body.

Has anyone who done medical last week got a date for pct yet?

I haven't anyway have you?

No, i was on friday same as you! Met you at the hatch on your way out. Just wondering has anyone who did it early in the week got a date? It will be january anyway at this stage.

There was a few at the PCT yesterday who had only done their medical on thursday. I think they got cancellations or something dunno how they would have decided who'd get a cancellation slot though

Sur thats good gives us more time to get ready.....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AVPU

I'm on today. Sat in the car park feeling not too confident but I'll just try and hammer through it. Hurt my wrist last week and push ups are agony but will battle through eh? Last hurdle. I don't want to repeat the beep test at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciaran1818

Hi lads how are yee?
    I feel obliged to post on this to inform any of those who may have found themselves in a similar position to myself.
    I'm a 24 male type 1 diabetic, living with the condition for the last 6/7 years but I've always wanted to be a guard. No other profession was going to take the biscuit I'm afraid.
    I was told from several sources in healthcare to give up, the guards won't take any diabetics, find something else. This was also reinforced by what I found in the Internet.
    I decided I'd dog into it myself anyway and got my HBA1C under great control, everything else like ears, eyes and BMI were perfect so I have them no grounds for refusal bar the fact I had a well controlled and maintained condition that I didn't allow to affect me in anyway through my life.
    I competed the medical, went through the whole shpeel and was deferred for 2 months- took nearly 4 to get any hop though.
    In that time, occupational health had to write a letter to my consultant, consultant had to write one back, they had to review the received letter then send it to HR to have reviewed and recommendations made and that can go back and forth for quite awhile.
    Eventually, I got good news that I passed the medical, regardless of what I have been told in the past, and after lording over the PCT, I'm due down to Templemore in April.

Don't let diabetes stop yee lads, I'm the proof that they are broadening their horizons and coming to realise that they are unnecessarily missing out on a whole batch of perfect candidates because we can't eat a chocolate bar without a pen in our pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ToC15

Well done Ciaran1818. I can only imagine all the extra obstacles you had to overcome to get to this stage. With regards to your passage 'I'm due down to Templemore in April' are you taking that from what the sgt. down in Templemore said in the lecture hall before the PCTs this week or have you received official confirmation in writing that you will be down in April?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭slapper2

After stage 4 ,what was the next contact you received

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciaran1818

ToC15 wrote: »
    Well done Ciaran1818. I can only imagine all the extra obstacles you had to overcome to get to this stage. With regards to your passage 'I'm due down to Templemore in April' are you taking that from what the sgt. down in Templemore said in the lecture hall before the PCTs this week or have you received official confirmation in writing that you will be down in April?

Thanks

Howia ToC,

I appreciate that pal, I just want other people now in the same situation to know it's not a dead end. Wouldn't wish anyone to go through the dread I have with that on my shoulders ha.

You were down there on Tuesday too ya were? I'm getting that strictly from what we were told prior to beginning the PCT.

I also heard a rumour though that they are struggling to fill January's intake so some of us might be called to fill some empty places there if needs be.

Another one on the rumour mill is that a lot of us will be border based as they want to to reopen all boarder stations- they're looking for big numbers in Louth I've heard.

Yea was down Tuesday surely and managed to pass it too. I was hoping we were aiming for January but if not then I would still be delighted with April. Would love to get actual confirmation in writing that if all of us pass stage 5 then we will defo being going down in April but I guess that thats wishful thinking on my part as they tend to give very little away.

Got pct date for 19th january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 CT15

As far as I no there's no intake until March/April

If anyone has been offered a place in janurary could ye post on this to settle this? And please give a rough date for starting training thanks.

• Advertisement

Dont think there is room in the college for a few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PCplod2014

As far as I know the college is full right now with 300 students. The oldest group in the college are due out in March 2016 and the next intake will be April 2016 - approx. 150 students. There is no set intakes for 2016 but it is highly unlikely there will be any intake until April 2016.

There are at least 100 people in my group with a relatively low OOM (last group in Band 1) who have passed everything since September and are waiting to be called so for those only doing there fitness in January don't be banking on April as you might be looking at the following intake which I would guestimate will be July as that is when the last batch are due out of Templemore as they only went in October/November of this year.

By the time April comes my group will have been waiting 6/7 months after passing everything to be called up so it is just a waiting game unfortunately.

Good luck to everyone in the upcoming stages.

Roughly any guess how many recruits will be taken on? I'm in the 190s in the top 200 in not sur if I'll be called for the April intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

Roughly any guess how many recruits will be taken on? I'm in the 190s in the top 200 in not sur if I'll be called for the April intake.

What is your exact OOM?

Roughly what is your OOM. Mine is high 700s and I know people with lower OOM and higher right up to 840s who have passed everything and are just waiting for the call. I imagine they will take 150 in April as that is all there will be room for. I would say they probably have the majority if not all the 150 already just waiting. I'd say most people waiting to do stages still will be looking closer to July intake. All depends on your OOM.

• Advertisement

its the 190s of bands 2 and 3 intakes

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭caza182

its the 190s of bands 2 and 3 intakes

I don't think you'd be looking at the April intake, im 806 on the OOM, im hoping to get the April intake and pretty sure my groups OOM went past the 850 mark.

So would i be looking at the july one?

I doubt you will be getting the April intake. I imagine it will be July. Best to focus on the next stages and then relax as all you have to do then is wait. Easier said than done I know.

Ah ya i really wanna quit my job thou...

I guess at the end of the day no one can know for sure when they will be going in. All that I do know is that last week the Sgt. in charge of the PCT in Templemore told us that we were looking at the April 2016 intake.....

I guess at the end of the day no one can know for sure when they will be going in. All that I do know is that last week the Sgt. in charge of the PCT in Templemore told us that we were looking at the April 2016 intake.....

Exactly nobody knows only those in head office. However I do know there is at least 100 in my group waiting to go in from band 1. We have all been waiting since sept/October. They can only take 150 in as college only fits 300 so if you guys have a low enough oom you might be lucky bur as it stands that's the current situation. I'd take what you're told with a pinch of salt.

We were told we would be in in November and January and we are now told April.

Jays so even if i get though it all ill still be waiting a while longer...

Yea I realise that we cant believe everything or indeed anything we are told. My OOM happens to be low enough (within 25 of the number 889 that our group began with) so hope that counts for something come April.

Yea I realise that we cant believe everything or indeed anything we are told. My OOM happens to be low enough (within 25 of the number 889 that our group began with) so hope that counts for something come April.

You have a relatively low OOM so I would say you are in the April intake. As opposed to others who don't have as low an OOM as yourself they will more than likely be waiting till after April. I would have liked if someone was honest and told me instead of me thinking that I was going to be in in november 2015 and jan 2016. Now I know it's going to be April and god knows that could change. Just advising those candidates to be realistic and know that there is a wait ahead of them unfortunately.

• Advertisement

so like. the intakes for band 1 are not finished yet. So depending on how many there are, band 2 intakes may not start until like october?? is that what could happen.

so like. the intakes for band 1 are not finished yet. So depending on how many there are, band 2 intakes may not start until like october?? is that what could happen.

I could be wrong but as far as I know my group from band 1 is the last group. We have all stages past so we are just waiting to be called in to templemore. Obviously we will be in the next intake. Depending on how many are after us and before you will determine when you get in. I would imagine it could be July maybe after but I don't know. The only people who know are in head office. You guys obviously still have your fitness test and vetting to get past so focus on that for now.

Yea I know exactly what you mean. Its case of being so close, having completed stage 5, but still potentially so far with an unknown waiting time. Having waited 2 years (just like everyone else) so far I'll by no means be taking April as a certainty but I guess we just have to keep the faith.

Sur lads if its july i may as well go travelling or something as soon as the physical is done and aim to be back by july.

Im 40ish on our oom so might be in first intake. How do they expect to train 600 this year if first class isnt until april? One thing they could do is house recruits outside the college again, they might have to if they want to train 600 in 2016.

Sur look no point thinking bout it atm. focus on passing the physical and we will try to get as much info out of them as we can afterwards. Tbh if it is june or july for myself im gonna quit and go travelling or volunteering or something, see a bit more of the world. I just back but im after catching the bug so if i can go again i will.

Anyone in band 1 who completed all stages find out if their vetting came back yet?
    My oom is mid 600s, completed pct last week after delays but have a blast of relations all over the world so dont know about vetting. Hrm arent too forthcoming as you all know.

kartkrazy wrote: »
    Anyone in band 1 who completed all stages find out if their vetting came back yet?
    My oom is mid 600s, completed pct last week after delays but have a blast of relations all over the world so dont know about vetting. Hrm arent too forthcoming as you all know.

As far as I know they do a brief check after your interview but the actual vetting is carried out after you have had your meeting with local super and sergeant. Have you met them both yet? Having a lot of family abroad may delay you but you have till April so you should be fine.

thekopend wrote: »
    Im 40ish on our oom so might be in first intake. How do they expect to train 600 this year if first class isnt until april? One thing they could do is house recruits outside the college again, they might have to if they want to train 600 in 2016.

Yeah that could well be an option as I believe they have done that in previous years. Would be great if they did so we could get moving. I don't think they're actually going to train 600 this year.

Think they're recruiting 600 meaning will have 600 people waiting to head to templemore. Realistically they can only take in 150 in April and 150 in July and possible 150 late December. It's more the recruiting of 600 garda than training. But i could be totally wrong. If they urgently needed garda trained we're here ready and waiting you know? So I think that's the logic behind it. To show the public they are recruiting new garda.

• Advertisement

PCplod2014 wrote: »
    As far as I know they do a brief check after your interview but the actual vetting is carried out after you have had your meeting with local super and sergeant. Have you met them both yet? Having a lot of family abroad may delay you but you have till April so you should be fine.

Ya had both meetings back in the summer, both went well so dont see a problem there,
    Damn you relations!

Advertisement