Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

slingerz wrote: »
    Don't think that is the case!! Balls I'll need to go on a bread and water diet for next two weeks

Bread is the last thing you want to be eating. Lean protein and healthy fats. No carbohydrates or sugar whatsoever. I lost 1 st 4 lbs for the medical in 2 weeks and 4 days. Also u will have to run the boll*cs off yourself but it is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

thekopend wrote: »
    Bread is the last thing you want to be eating. Lean protein and healthy fats. No carbohydrates or sugar whatsoever. I lost 1 st 4 lbs for the medical in 2 weeks and 4 days. Also u will have to run the boll*cs off yourself but it is possible

if i got that i reckon i'd get in under the BMI calc alright.

BMI is such a stupid measurement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Omahony92

This waiting is painful, I feel very sorry for the folks who finished everything back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sweeney16

Well guys, have the pct on the 19th and bricking it to be honest. Has anyone any helpful advice for on the day?

Sweeney16 wrote: »
    Well guys, have the pct on the 19th and bricking it to be honest. Has anyone any helpful advice for on the day?

Im on same day as you. It wont be easy that is the whole point of it. It will be a matter of mind over body on the day and just being determined that 15 minutes of pain isnt going to stop you after 2 years of waiting and a liftime of wanting!

The beep test for us took less than 15 mins...10 maybe. I had to do 8.8 and the only training I did coming up to it was on the threadmill using an iphone app made for beep test training on a threadmill...I actually found the sit ups harder than the beep test to be honest.

The main thing with the beep test is pacing yourself at the start. By the time we were on level 8 I would say I was say I was running maybe 2/3 the speed I could run and I'm actually quite unfit to be honest. Be careful when turning as well as things speed up. I didn't warm up properly and I turned around level 5 and hurt my ankle a small bit.

Stay hydrated, might have been over kill but I drank about 3 litres of water before doing it at all. Hmmm, everything else is fine. You can take a small break between sit ups and push ups if ya like again I drank more water had a breather and got down to it. The sit ups as you know is timed so I would definitely do practice runs at home. I may have ****ty core strength or whatever but I just got the 35th sit up done in the last second.

Push ups isn't timed so no matter what just push yourself to push them out. I took a break around 17 staying in position and then went again. Obstacle course thinking back was almost like a bit of fun compared to everything else. Simple.

I went up after spending the weekend with a cold and felt like crap, hadn't trained for a few days and as I said I'm quite unfit but when you get there you've a bit of a buzz like and it helps. My group were cool as well, we encouraged each other!!

I'm sure you'll be fine and I wish ye the best of luck!! :)

sorry about rambling haha

Good post. When i was saying 15 min i was taking beep test situps and pushups into account. Ya agree re the sit ups, was finding them tough but over last few weeks have built it up and should be grand. Push ups are ok. Its just a matter of being on form on the day and just giving it your all. Hopefully beep test will go ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

It's defiantly 20 metres between the two points ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭PCplod2014

It's defiantly 20 metres between the two points ya?

Yep

• Advertisement

The most defiant 20m you will ever see :)

Joke, it is 20m yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dcbar16

Hi guys new to boards. Just wondering is anyone else who has the fitness on the 19th of this month still waiting for a call about their local interview with Sgt and Super?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciaran1818

Lads and ladies,
    For anyone who has already gotten through and down there already, how much notice were yee given before your Start date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Killinator

ciaran1818 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies,
    For anyone who has already gotten through and down there already, how much notice were yee given before your Start date?

Think itb was about 3 and 1/2 weeks

Dcbar16 wrote: »
    Hi guys new to boards. Just wondering is anyone else who has the fitness on the 19th of this month still waiting for a call about their local interview with Sgt and Super?

I wouldn't worry too much about that. I had sgt. before the fitness and super after but it all depends on how busy the station is really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dcbar16

Omahony92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about that. I had sgt. before the fitness and super after but it all depends on how busy the station is really.

Thanks allot for the reply. I do know the local station is very busy. Hopefully thats it and they've not forgot about me :(

• Advertisement

Most likely it bud :) I remember I was a good while after another friend of mine who had there interviews at a separate station in cork and it was due to them being busy. They'll call you no matter what anyway, well unless your form B is gone missing but what would be the odds of that :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

ciaran1818 wrote: »
    Lads and ladies,

I was given about 8 days notice. Got a phone call on the way home from the fitness test.

Turbo T wrote: »
    I was given about 8 days notice. Got a phone call on the way home from the fitness test.

Only 8 days 😲 Were you working at the time? How did you manage that if you don't mind me asking? I imagine I have to give at least 1 month notice?!

This waiting game is a killer! 😦

They'll be in no rush to tell us anything until right before hand i'd imagine. Although, they have been more efficient than I had expected so far!

Anyone who failed the medical going again in the new campaign? Just out of curiosity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

PCplod2014 wrote: »
    Only 8 days 😲 Were you working at the time? How did you manage that if you don't mind me asking? I imagine I have to give at least 1 month notice?!

This waiting game is a killer! 😦

Went into work the next day and just explained the way it was. Was grand.
    I barely had time to think. I had to pack and get all sorts of stuff ready. Was grand

• Advertisement

When was your intake Turbo? If you don't mind me asking

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

Lads I was reminded of something there earlier on today....that fitness test will be no bother....Tis the warm up we have to worry about! Did a test for the army a few years ago. The warm up was tougher than the fitness test!!!

The warm up is up to yourself really, the instructors won't be helping you there

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Glantinegaels

Anyone in Templemore this Saturday for the information day?

I think the warm up only happend for the first few pct's. You do your own warmup yourself on the day this was said at the information day i went to.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Errigal14

Yeah, heading down myself this Saturday. Should be good to get a feel for what to expect on the real day!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 kartkrazy

Hi all, Has any of you who have completed all aspects of stage 5 and are awaiting "THE CALL" get any notifacation from HR that your files were completed?

kartkrazy wrote: »
    Hi all, Has any of you who have completed all aspects of stage 5 and are awaiting "THE CALL" get any notifacation from HR that your files were completed?

No. And the wait is a killer. Have you contacted them recently?

No. And the wait is a killer. Have you contacted them recently?

Ya contacted last week, was looking for some info on time frame due to work commitments.
    The girl I was talking too did not check my file there and then just said when the file is "full" (everything in order) I would be notified. Never heard of this before though.

Ya contacted last week, was looking for some info on time frame due to work commitments.
    The girl I was talking too did not check my file there and then just said when the file is "full" (everything in order) I would be notified. Never heard of this before though.

I know what you mean I contacted them in December said they have no dates and candidates will be notified based on OOM. It's frustrating as would be nice to have a rough idea with work its hard to make commitments.

• Advertisement

Painful ol wait alright, especially for those of you who weren't ones called back in band2/3. I suppose there's a lot of approvals and formalities to go through before they can offer us anything.

I might give them a shout toward the end of January if I've heard nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Offacliff123

@ 1eyedcat -

I attempted to contact you back but you have your account set to not accept private messages.

I haven't heard anything back yet. It's been 34 days since my super interview!

Painful ol wait alright, especially for those of you who weren't ones called back in band2/3. I suppose there's a lot of approvals and formalities to go through before they can offer us anything.

I might give them a shout toward the end of January if I've heard nothing.

Ya I reckon they are waiting for this next pct to be over to get a look at the lay of the land in tems of candidates.
    Why dont we all bombard them with phone calls towards the end of January!!!

We could always all go up and protest outside like the water protesters...they'll love us then haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I haven't heard anything back yet. It's been 34 days since my super interview!

Don't get your hopes up. I did my super interview in June 2014 and was left waiting until March 2015 to hear anything. I was then told, I wasn't getting in despite being in the top 40 in the order of merit because the commissioner found me "generally unsuitable"

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Don't get your hopes up. I did my super interview in June 2014 and was left waiting until March 2015 to hear anything. I was then told, I wasn't getting in despite being in the top 40 in the order of merit because the commissioner found me "generally unsuitable"

Seriously? Is there any reason why you shouldn't have got in? To be fair I can't seem them turning you away for no reason especially when you done so well initially.

Seriously? Is there any reason why you shouldn't have got in? To be fair I can't seem them turning you away for no reason especially when you done so well initially.

A member of my extended family who I have practically no contact with was involved with republican groups and the opinion was that I would be in a position to supply them with info from pulse. I was told not to bother formally appealing the decision and I'd never get into the gardai or the defence forces

That's a tough break man, sorry to hear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ToC15

Hi Lads,

Literally just off the phone with my local station here in Dublin. I was told that they were happy to sign off on my application. I asked if I was required to call into the station to see the super etc. but he said no, that they carried out their own research into my vetting etc. and they were happy to sign off on me. He didn't spend too long on the phone so I sense that he was very busy so probs didn't have time to fit me in. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

• Advertisement

ToC15 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Literally just off the phone with my local station here in Dublin. I was told that they were happy to sign off on my application. I asked if I was required to call into the station to see the super etc. but he said no, that they carried out their own research into my vetting etc. and they were happy to sign off on me. He didn't spend too long on the phone so I sense that he was very busy so probs didn't have time to fit me in. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Weird, someone was shot dead in my town a few hours before my meeting with the super and he still made the time to meet me

They had been dealing with a murder at my station as well which delayed it in fairness but they still met me.

ToC15 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Jesus thats very strange? U didnt even meet a sergeant? Have you any reason why your vetting might not go through or should you be alright that way

• Registered Users Posts: 14 avm88

Can anyone who has attended the PCT information day let me know how long it lasted? I'm due down this Saturday at 10am, just wondering what time we will be leaving T'more.

Thanks in advance!

I think I was gone an all for 12...actually I'm nearly positive as I think there was another class in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mark010

Done my medical and physical back in December and have yet to get a phone call or any contact from the super or Sargent. I'm from a busy part of Dublin , anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement

I'd nearly be giving the local station or HRM a call at this stage Mark. I had mine 4th and 9th December and the super even apologise for the delay.
    Also did my physical and medical in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Mark010

I'd nearly be giving the local station or HRM a call at this stage Mark. I had mine 4th and 9th December and the super even apologise for the delay.
    Also did my physical and medical in December.

Rang there, they said not to worry that station was probably just busy over the Christmas and be in touch soon! I remember the Garda HQ assistant told me Dubs get a lot a vetting due to the chance of being based in Dublin.

A member of my extended family who I have practically no contact with was involved with republican groups and the opinion was that I would be in a position to supply them with info from pulse. I was told not to bother formally appealing the decision and I'd never get into the gardai or the defence forces

Disaster man sorry to hear, Ive got a huge extended family aswell dont even know half of them so youve got me worried now.
    After you met your super did you go on to do your medical pct etc before being notified or did you have no contact before finding out?

Disaster man sorry to hear, Ive got a huge extended family aswell dont even know half of them so youve got me worried now.
    After you met your super did you go on to do your medical pct etc before being notified or did you have no contact before finding out?

Had the day down in Templemore but never got called for medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

It's very unfair for anyone and the thought that your family who your not even close with can effect you career in the Garda and Defence forces is crazy. The only thing is it's impossible to prove you have no relationship with them. I can understand the Garda having concerns but why the defence forces?

I myself recently found out that my aunt was married and had children with a person that would be a regular face in the sunday world lets say :rolleyes: I know they have not been together for up to 10 - 15 years but the connection worries me all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement