Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Had a nightmare last night. I dreamt that I got a call that there was a screw up similar to the stage 3 and that I actually had failed stage 4. Damn it PAS, you're even making a balls of things in my dreams :-P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Cahergal wrote: »
    It does happen for potential garda trainees. It happened to me.

Im shocked to be honest

when i think of the hoops that need to be jumped in order to get recordings of suspects........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Im shocked to be honest

when i think of the hoops that need to be jumped in order to get recordings of suspects........

Shocked on the basis of a post with no evidence to back it up!!

If you are to become a Garda I hope that you form your opinions on something a bit stronger than an anonymous comment on a website.

Santa Cruz wrote: »

If you are to become a Garda I hope that you form your opinions on something a bit stronger than an anonymous comment on a website.

Yeah yeah blah blah rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

If not given medical date does this mean october or are we only guessing at that? I presumed everyone was doing medical and physical now ,because people outside of 200 have got their date?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Its only all speculation. Nobody knows for sure what's happening. You still have time for the July intake even if you don't get a medical date until next week and your Physical the week after. On another note, have many people's referee's received phone-calls? Mine have yesterday and today. I'm in the 100-200 bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

mickaleen wrote: »
    Its only all speculation. Nobody knows for sure what's happening. You still have time for the July intake even if you don't get a medical date until next week and your Physical the week after. On another note, have many people's referee's received phone-calls? Mine have yesterday and today. I'm in the 100-200 bracket.

Same bracket as yourself but no move on my referees. Have a medical this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

I've not been given a medical/fitness date yet, I'm between 150-200. My referees have been contacted, I've met local Sgt and have meeting with Supt this week.

All speculation at this stage, my guess is order of merit, background checks and speed of processing by local stations are all playing a part right now.

Just relax and let it happen, we'll all get medical dates etc in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

I'm in the 200's. No date for medical. But all my referee's have been contacted. Meeting the super tomorrow. Hard to know what's going on

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Well it's the sergeants/supers who are contacting the referees so if your referees are being contacted, and you haven't had a call to meet your sergeant/super, expect one soon. In relation to medicals, many of us in the 150-200+ bracket are still waiting so they are going mainly on order of merit, with the odd exception that we had seen on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Cahergal

Santa Cruz wrote: »

I pray that we do not end up in the same intake.

How do you expect one to produce evidence from an interview. Your a joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I'd my meeting with the sergeant on Monday and she had called my Garda reference just beforehand.
    Afterwards, I was speaking to one of my normal references and they hadn't been contacted.
    I haven't been contacted for a meeting with a super yet and no medical date.
    I'm in the 200s

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Just an update... I have my medical Friday week. I placed in the 130s. All my referees have been contacted. I met with the local sergeant yesterday and I'm awaiting a call for the meeting with the super. Also... I'm R E A L L Y nervous about this sadist of bleep test! :-P Thankfully, I'm over 26, which makes life a little easier. Strength training is going great, but the bleep has me quite worried. Please god, by the time the fitness test comes around, i'll be on top of it. *concerned face*

A question for people who have already had their medicals... where is the best place to park? I'm coming from Connacht, not too familiar with the area. Is there parking on site? Many thanks :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just an update... I have my medical Friday week. I placed in the 130s. All my referees have been contacted. I met with the local sergeant yesterday and I'm awaiting a call for the meeting with the super. Also... I'm R E A L L Y nervous about this sadist of bleep test! :-P Thankfully, I'm over 26, which makes life a little easier. Strength training is going great, but the bleep has me quite worried. Please god, by the time the fitness test comes around, i'll be on top of it. *concerned face*

A question for people who have already had their medicals... where is the best place to park? I'm coming from Connacht, not too familiar with the area. Is there parking on site? Many thanks :-)

You won't be allowed drive into Garda HQ. Park outside along the back of the Zoo. Just bear in mind that if it is a sunny day that road is usually full of parked cars going nearly as far as the Cabra gate. You'd still walk it in 10mins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

I don't know if there is parking on the site or not, but you can park on the main road outside of it in Phoenix Park. Or if you want, you can park across in Heuston Station, it's only a 5-10 minute walk across!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Get yourself onto the M50 and head for the Blanchardstown/N3 junction.

Follow the signs for the city centre and on your way in the road will narrow from 3 or 4 lanes to two and you'll approach a roundabout with a large pitch-roof pub to the left of it on the far side.

Take a right at this roundabout and you'll have an entrance to Phoenix park directly ahead right beside a small junction.

Drive into the park and you'll come to a T-junction, hang a left and keep driving until you come across cars parked. This is the area I linked to in a post above. It's right beside the zoo and the Garda HQ is minutes walk further on down the road.

Very easy to get back out then when you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Anyone have medical today? How did you find it and how long did it take? Did you get the 20th for medical date?

Have any other boardsies done the medical yet?

Just had a missed call from a private number. Hoping it wasn't my local super looking to arrange a meeting. I was told to expect a call this week :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Rothmans wrote: »
    Have any other boardsies done the medical yet?

Medical done today, meeting super tomorrow and pct 20th June.

Dongaz wrote: »

How'd it go? You get your physical date? Did anyone have any issues in the medical?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Dongaz wrote: »

How long did it take in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

octigen wrote: »
    How long did it take in total?

Yea 20th June is physical. I was out for 1. Not very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Was just leaving work today when I got a call from my local Sgt. Worked out very well as I was able to pop in on my way home from work already wearing a shirt and pants, very handy altogether.

20 minute chat, I wouldn't call it formal but I wouldn't call it informal either, somewhere in between. It definitely went well though, happy out. Was told to expect a call from my local superintendent this week too. Just waiting on a date for my medical now which I assume won't come for another few months since I was outside the top 200. Glad things are progressing none the less, was getting worried about the silence!

Beep tests are bastard. That is all. Can jog 10k in under an hour yet could barely manage level 5 in the beep test.

It's the turning - dropping and then finding the momentum again is energy-sapping.

Get practising if you haven't already.

I'm using this beep test here. Think it matches what they're using in the college:

http://www.mini-net.com/john_coach/resources/training/beeptest/uk/beep_test_uk.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Beep tests are bastard. That is all. Can jog 10k in under an hour yet could barely manage level 5 in the beep test.

It's the turning - dropping and then finding the momentum again is energy-sapping.

Get practising if you haven't already.

I'm using this beep test here. Think it matches what they're using in the college:

http://www.mini-net.com/john_coach/resources/training/beeptest/uk/beep_test_uk.mp3

I was actually going to ask about that. I've seen a couple of different versions of it, some starting at Level 0.1 and progressing to 1.1 and others starting at Level 1.1.

Anyone know for sure which it is?

Medical finished this morning. Have to meet the super next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

K.Hammett wrote: »
    I was actually going to ask about that. I've seen a couple of different versions of it, some starting at Level 0.1 and progressing to 1.1 and others starting at Level 1.1.

Anyone know for sure which it is?

Medical finished this morning. Have to meet the super next week.

It's the Loughborough beep test that they are using for the PCT.

I'm almost sure that's what I linked to above - the Loughborough.

It definitely starts the same with the 5 beep count-down and the tones are the same from the open day.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

The minister answered a question yesterday in the dail on garda training....search garda recruitment on the kildarestreet.com website.

Unfortunately I cannot post the link here?!

Agreed. The biggest cock-up with the actual bleep test is people not running their own race but instead bunching up and/or focussing on others around them. I done this test with a lad who worked out his stride pace and length and literally counted his way through the test. He wasn't the last one standing but he knew exactly what he was required to do each level. If you can work that out and are disciplined it is a very good method.

• Advertisement

I'd struggle to remember 7 different stride lengths depending on speeds.

I've also worked out that the average speeds for the shuttles include you being stopped (on the turn), speeding up, striding, slowing to prepare for the turn and then turning.

If you're at level 6 and 11kmph then you'll end up going 12kmph or more in the middle to allow for the lost time on the turn. Ends up feeling faster than it is.

I've basically cleared my weekend and evenings for the next week - the small mercy is that at only 7/8 minutes per attempt you don't suffer too much fatigue. You could get 3 or 4 of these in easily over the course of a day where you should hopefully find a rhythm and technique. My second go tonight felt better than my first as I started to settle into a turn that felt comfortable.

I slipped on the grass though and ended up in a heap at level 5.5. I cursed and hit the shower shortly after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

I've also worked out that the average speeds for the shuttles include you being stopped (on the turn), speeding up, striding, slowing to prepare for the turn and then turning.

If you're at level 6 and 11kmph then you'll end up going 12kmph or more in the middle to allow for the lost time on the turn. Ends up feeling faster than it is.

I've basically cleared my weekend and evenings for the next week - the small mercy is that at only 7/8 minutes per attempt you don't suffer too much fatigue. You could get 3 or 4 of these in easily over the course of a day where you should hopefully find a rhythm and technique. My second go tonight felt better than my first as I started to settle into a turn that felt comfortable.

I slipped on the grass though and ended up in a heap at level 5.5. I cursed and hit the shower shortly after that.

I found that pacing myself at each level a lot more effective than racing and waiting for the beeps, each to their own tho. The press ups, now that's another story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Minevah wrote: »
    The minister answered a question yesterday in the dail on garda training....search garda recruitment on the kildarestreet.com website.

Unfortunately I cannot post the link here?!

Mod

Unfortunately a new practice has been introduced on the site whereby you need a minimum or 50 posts to post a link. This is to combat spammers and spam bots. Sorry for the inconvenience

KERSPLAT!

I've the sit ups and press ups sorted thank god. Hoping I rack up the numbers fast in the bleep.

@ r_k and wob: I wouldn't worry, they are pretty minor issues

Unfortunately mine was brought up today.
    I had my meeting on Monday with the sergeant and was called back about the incident today.
    I couldn't believe it was still in Pulse as I was 11 years old and it happened 15 years ago.
    Hopefully it wont be seen as relevant to my application

I'd have to check with him but afaik he kept his stride length more or less constant and increased his stride pace/rate. A bit atypical as most people when they run faster usually increase their stride length but the other method can work. Kenenisa Bekele (famous runner?) does it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Mod

Unfortunately a new practice has been introduced on the site whereby you need a minimum or 50 posts to post a link. This is to combat spammers and spam bots. Sorry for the inconvenience

KERSPLAT!

No problem.

One thing she said that caught my eye was:

"The precise number of recruits to be included in each intake will be determined by a number of factors including retirements and will be decided shortly."

So could it potentially be more than 100/105 in the July intake?

Minevah wrote: »
    No problem.

One thing she said that caught my eye was:

"The precise number of recruits to be included in each intake will be determined by a number of factors including retirements and will be decided shortly."

So could it potentially be more than 100/105 in the July intake?

That is now the third different account given. Shatter said, 250/300. PAS said, two batches of 105 and now Fitzgerald basically does not know? Hopefully it will be more than 105 in each batch. Usually I would tend to go with what the minister states but PAS came out with different (substantially lower) figures than Shatter had given.

redout wrote: »
    That is now the third different account given. Shatter said, 250/300. PAS said, two batches of 105 and now Fitzgerald basically does not know? Hopefully it will be more than 105 in each batch. Usually I would tend to go with what the minister states but PAS came out with different (substantially lower) figures than Shatter had given.

The first class has been constantly and consistently a number of 105

after that - lord know!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jacks wasted life

Is there any consensus on what people are wearing to the medical? Not a suit, I hope!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately mine was brought up today.
    I had my meeting on Monday with the sergeant and was called back about the incident today.
    I couldn't believe it was still in Pulse as I was 11 years old and it happened 15 years ago.
    Hopefully it wont be seen as relevant to my application

Holy sh1t really? That shouldn't really have been put on pulse. Such a minor thing while you were so young. I had my meeting with the sergeant and it didn't come up i wonder if I'm OK? Iv my meeting with the super tomorrow I'm ****ting it now

r_k.com wrote: »
    Holy sh1t really? That shouldn't really have been put on pulse. Such a minor thing while you were so young. I had my meeting with the sergeant and it didn't come up i wonder if I'm OK? Iv my meeting with the super tomorrow I'm ****ting it now

You can find out what information the Gardai keep on you (pulse) if you do a FOI request afaik.

r_k.com wrote: »

The sergeant asked me a few things about it and I legitimately could not remember the details it's been that long.
    It was in the system that I was arrested but the guards just came up to the house and spoke with my parents. I then had to have a meeting with the super.
    It was also in the system as two incidents (What I done was on two separate days) even though I actually only dealt with the Gardaí once.

the sergeant was grand about it, it basically just had to go into the report that's going to the super and it's up to him to make a decision.

It's just a bit depressing that something stupid I did as a child is always going to be hanging over my head

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    The sergeant asked me a few things about it and I legitimately could not remember the details it's been that long.
    It was in the system that I was arrested but the guards just came up to the house and spoke with my parents. I then had to have a meeting with the super.
    It was also in the system as two incidents (What I done was on two separate days) even though I actually only dealt with the Gardaí once.

the sergeant was grand about it, it basically just had to go into the report that's going to the super and it's up to him to make a decision.

It's just a bit depressing that something stupid I did as a child is always going to be hanging over my head

I feel so sorry for you hopefully it won't. In fairness that was handled badly. You shouldn't have been arrested at 11 and it shouldnt have been put on pulse in my opinion. I know discretion is a bad word for the guards at the moment but if ever there's a time for it is dealing with children and putting Black marks on their record for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Medical passed, meeting with the sgt went well. I will say though, it was a little more formal and structured than I was expecting. When joining the GR, I had to meet the sgt and inspector and that was a very casual chat. This time however, although still very friendly and pleasant, it did feel a little more like an interview. The sgt had specific questions to ask for his report, but was a gent and had plenty of advice to offer. Meeting lasted about 40 min. I'm glad I wore the shirt and tie and would encourage others to do the same.

Two hurdles left, meet the super and pass the PCT!

Medical passed, meeting with the sgt went well. I will say though, it was a little more formal and structured than I was expecting. When joining the GR, I had to meet the sgt and inspector and that was a very casual chat. This time however, although still very friendly and pleasant, it did feel a little more like an interview. The sgt had specific questions to ask for his report, but was a gent and had plenty of advice to offer. Meeting lasted about 40 min. I'm glad I wore the shirt and tie and would encourage others to do the same.

Congrats King, best of luck. For the medical, how strict did the doctor seem when it came to bmi? And how exactly was it measured? I have mine next Tuesday and was wondering how it's done.

Also, here is the minister's recent comments re recruitment Minevah mentioned:
    A recruitment campaign for new recruits to An Garda Síochána is currently underway, the first since 2009. It is intended that the first intake of new Garda trainees who have successfully completed all stages of the recruitment process will enter the Garda College in July of this year. They will participate in the new training programme over the remainder of 2014 and it is expected that they will attest in early 2015. It is hoped to have further recruits entering training in Templemore in the remainder of 2014. The precise number of recruits to be included in each intake will be determined by a number of factors including retirements and will be decided shortly.

In February 2008 the Garda Commissioner established a group to review training and development for Garda and Civilian staff in the Garda Síochána. The Garda Síochána Training and Development Review Group Report was published in May 2009. The objective of the review group was to make recommendations to improve and reinvigorate Garda training in line with best practice in order to meet the new challenges of a changing society.

The review group carried out an extensive analysis of the training needs of the Force and consulted widely with staff across all ranks and grades. They engaged with different organisations including the following:
    - Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (GSOC)
    - Garda Inspectorate
    - HETEC
    - External training providers including
    - University College Dublin
    - Dublin Institute of Technology
    - Institute of Public Administration.

As a result of this review the student/probationer training programme has been radically restructured into three phases. Phase I is for 32 weeks at the Garda College, at the end of which successful students will be attested (i.e. become members of the Garda Síochána with full police powers). Phase II is for 65 weeks based in Garda stations, and Phase III consists of seven weeks of exam preparation, exams and assessments (total 104 weeks). The new programme will now result in an award of a Bachelor of Arts (Level 7) in Police Studies, and the programme will be delivered using a problem based learning approach.
    The main differences between the new and the current programme is that the new programme carries a greater emphasis on operational policing and focuses on real life scenarios which in turn prepare students better for the policing challenges they will face. The new programme will also instil a lifelong learning philosophy for members of the Garda Síochána, with a suite of mandatory and elective courses made available. In terms of the Garda College itself, the Office of Public Works is undertaking work to the accommodation with four blocks having been completed to date. Competitions for the filling of staff requirements at Garda, Sergeant and Inspector rank to act as Instructors at the Garda College are currently under way.

Jaysus, that seems fairly hefty!! I was told mine would only last about 10 mins iirc, just a few questions need answering. Mad how it varies from district to district! I'd be in a fairly busy district though, so maybe its the case that the busier ones just need to ask some essential questions, and leave it at that.

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Congrats King, best of luck. For the medical, how strict did the doctor seem when it came to bmi? And how exactly was it measured? I have mine next Tuesday and was wondering how it's done.

I don't know how strict they'd be if you're borderline because mine was 23 so she barely mentioned it and moved straight onto the next test. Whens your medical?
    Jaysus, that seems fairly hefty!! I was told mine would only last about 10 mins iirc, just a few questions need answering. Mad how it varies from district to district! I'd be in a fairly busy district though, so maybe its the case that the busier ones just need to ask some essential questions, and leave it at that.

Yeah, it was grand though, it wasn't nerve racking or anything. Just happened to have plenty to talk about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

redout wrote: »
    You can find out what information the Gardai keep on you (pulse) if you do a FOI request afaik.

Any arrests, searches, court appearances usually go on pulse. r_k.com your summons will definetely be on there. I requested my information a few months back and my searches, court appearances and even when I reported a car theft appeared on it. I was also arrested a number of years ago as a kid but that never appeared thankfully.

Saying that a struck out court case like that shouldnt hold you back. It actually proves your innocence lol..

If minor things like that compromised the application there'd be no guards atall :p

Advertisement