Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

I was idle last night and I got thinking to myself. Over the 5 stages I make it to be 14 checks and tests, 10 of which I have passed so far. That's some battery of tests!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

r_k.com wrote: »
    I feel so sorry for you hopefully it won't. In fairness that was handled badly. You shouldn't have been arrested at 11 and it shouldnt have been put on pulse in my opinion. I know discretion is a bad word for the guards at the moment but if ever there's a time for it is dealing with children and putting Black marks on their record for life.

We don't know what type of incident is involved so no need for big judgements. While I certainly hope and believe that an incident at 11 won't harm his application the Gardaí are entitled to arrest a person at that age. He wasn't dealt with through the Juvenile Court as far as we know. However if a group of young people committed criminal damage to your car for instance you would want a Garda response regardless of their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Medical passed, meeting with the sgt went well. I will say though, it was a little more formal and structured than I was expecting. When joining the GR, I had to meet the sgt and inspector and that was a very casual chat. This time however, although still very friendly and pleasant, it did feel a little more like an interview. The sgt had specific questions to ask for his report, but was a gent and had plenty of advice to offer. Meeting lasted about 40 min. !

I had the same experience with mine lasting around 40 mins with a specific number of questions but was made feel relaxed by the Sargent. They had to reschedule my meeting with the super as I have medical tomorrow morning and must meet him before it early in the morning then straight to my medical so I will be doing my medical while wearing a suit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

carzony wrote: »
    Any arrests, searches, court appearances usually go on pulse. r_k.com your summons will definetely be on there. I requested my information a few months back and my searches, court appearances and even when I reported a car theft appeared on it. I was also arrested a number of years ago as a kid but that never appeared thankfully.

Saying that a struck out court case like that shouldnt hold you back. It actually proves your innocence lol..

If minor things like that compromised the application there'd be no guards atall :p

Lots of young lads get in to a bit of bother in their teens. It's how they react to it that will decide how they get on later in life. The Juvenile Diversion Scheme is there to help lads get their act together. It has a high success rate and it's wrong if anything not too serious that a lad does at 15 holds them back when they are 25

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Also, here is the minister's recent comments re recruitment Minevah mentioned:

By The sounds of this there will more than likely be a second intake before the end of the year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

TooLate wrote: »
    By The sounds of this there will more than likely be a second intake before the end of the year :)

October has been mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

2 intakes this year, 3 intakes next year, 3 intakes in 2016!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Shifty13 wrote: »
    2 intakes this year, 3 intakes next year, 3 intakes in 2016!

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Rothmans wrote: »
    Link?

Came from HRM up in HQ

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Has anyone failed or been deferred after the medical yet? If so, what for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Blaireness wrote: »
    Has anyone failed or been deferred after the medical yet? If so, what for?

Is it just vision that you can you be deferred for in the medical?

Came from HRM up in HQ

That's odd. How do they know before the minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Are they checking teeth for medical? From the e-mail it appears its just BMI, Sight, Hearing, lung capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

octigen wrote: »
    Are they checking teeth for medical? From the e-mail it appears its just BMI, Sight, Hearing, lung capacity.

The doctor had a good look at all my teeth, more thorough than I would have thought, though they were all grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PaulMCKM

The Minister has said that the opw had completed an upgrade to 4 blocks of accommodation in Templemore. Has anyone any idea how many recruits a block houses?

20times wrote: »
    The doctor had a good look at all my teeth, more thorough than I would have thought, though they were all grand.

How'd the medical go overall?

How'd the medical go overall?

It was fine in fairness. They went through everything that you'd expect. Lot of waiting around! When you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

1 more hurdle now on the 20th and it's templmore!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!

It was fine in fairness. They went through everything that you'd expect. Lot of waiting around! When you in?

Good stuff! End of next week, so I've a bit of waiting to do yet!

Good stuff! End of next week, so I've a bit of waiting to do yet!

Best of luck with it. I'd imagine the vast majority are passing it, seemed very routine and we all know in advance what's being checked. Just gotta worry about the physical now!!

• Advertisement

Best of luck with it. I'd imagine the vast majority are passing it, seemed very routine and we all know in advance what's being checked. Just gotta worry about the physical now!!

I wish i was a 30year old female

yeah you heard me!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

WilcoOut wrote: »
    I wish i was a 30year old female

yeah you heard me!
    I know right!
    Bit mad considering we're all going to be doing the same job that a different standard is expected depending on age/sex.
    Sher isn't that discrimination...

Which part of the physical are people most concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Just received my medical date there for Tuesday. Didnt think I was going to get one until Sep/Oct they are obviously doing everyone together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Lojak wrote: »
    Just received my medical date there for Tuesday. Didnt think I was going to get one until Sep/Oct they are obviously doing everyone together.

Ballpark placement if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

170s

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

I'm in 170s aswel and got a date for this day week which really doesn't suit as i have something really important on. Praying that someone needs a swap for another day cause that's the only way HRM will swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Lojak wrote: »

Cya there, what time are you scheduled for? On a side note, made it to 7.2 on the beep test today. I find that it's easier when I'm running with a mate and not just by myself, you can motivate each other to keep going.

If you can get to 8 now, those last 7 shuttles will be ran by sheer mental strength on the day!!!

• Advertisement

WilcoOut wrote: »
    If you can get to 8 now, those last 7 shuttles will be ran by sheer mental strength on the day!!!

Yeah that's what everyone keeps telling me anyway. It seems within reach now. I think the big hurdle now will be passing bmi on Tuesday and maybe eyesight since I only recently got laser surgery in the last week.

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Yeah that's what everyone keeps telling me anyway. It seems within reach now. I think the big hurdle now will be passing bmi on Tuesday and maybe eyesight since I only recently got laser surgery in the last week.

If your bmi is under 30 then you'll be grand :-) Best of luck with it, Id say I barely passed the eyesight part, would love to get laser in the future. Where did you have it done?

If your bmi is under 30 then you'll be grand :-) Best of luck with it, Id say I barely passed the eyesight part, would love to get laser in the future. Where did you have it done?

I calculated mine and if I do pass, it'll only be by a small amount... Do they take into account the weight of your clothes? Haha... I had it done in the Mater Private. Couldn't recommend the place more, it was worth every penny.

They allow 1kg for the weight of your clothes! Yeah Id imagine it would be one of the best places to get it done!!

They also record a reading of your body fat percentage. The nurse mentioned to me, when I asked about bmi, that in some cases if there's concern over bmi that they do some sort of hip / waste size comparison or something like that

They also record a reading of your body fat percentage. The nurse mentioned to me, when I asked about bmi, that in some cases if there's concern over bmi that they do some sort of hip / waste size comparison or something like that

They record body fat percentage on everyone? I'm assuming it's the nurse who does the initial bmi calculation?

• Advertisement

Chem Lord wrote: »
    They record body fat percentage on everyone? I'm assuming it's the nurse who does the initial bmi calculation?

Yeah, it was the nurse. After she measures your height, you stand barefoot on a machine and it calculates weight, bmi and body fat percentage.

Had the meeting with the local sergeant this afternoon. Went well. Nice guy. Lasted longer than expected, but it flew. The conversation flew from the Form B in my meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Do they check both eyes separately or together? For the 6/18 stage

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Had the meeting with the local sergeant this afternoon. Went well. Nice guy. Lasted longer than expected, but it flew. The conversation flew from the Form B in my meeting.

I was there longer than expected with my sergeant also. The inspector meeting flew by and was a very informal meeting. Just chatting about myself and my thoughts on recent controversies

Carroller wrote: »
    Do they check both eyes separately or together? For the 6/18 stage

Each eye separately I would think, as the standard is a minimum of 6/18 in each eye.

• Advertisement

BRB wrote: »
    I was there longer than expected with my sergeant also. The inspector meeting flew by and was a very informal meeting. Just chatting about myself and my thoughts on recent controversies

And tell me, did the inspector go over the Form B again, or was he just working from the sergeant's report?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Just wondering, is there anyone still out there in the top 150 who has a medical date but no call from a station? I'm starting to worry that there is a problem with my vetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Hank26 wrote: »
    Just wondering, is there anyone still out there in the top 150 who has a medical date but no call from a station? I'm starting to worry that there is a problem with my vetting.

Top 100 and same situation. Not too worried about it though

Well folks. I'm after realising that this recruitment drive started half a year ago to the day. Its been some journey so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

I'd ring the appointments office and inquire about that lads. There's a ten day turn around with getting the meetings done so I reckon you should have heard by now

Well folks. I'm after realising that this recruitment drive started half a year ago to the day. Its been some journey so far!

That was a very fast six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

So I have my medical tomorrow and I'm slightly pink... Oops...

How naked do they make you get? Or do they leave you keep your clothes on?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

And tell me, did the inspector go over the Form B again, or was he just working from the sergeant's report?

Mainly worked of the notes. He had a brief look through the form. It was a short chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

yv6lf8t.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

So I have my medical tomorrow and I'm slightly pink... Oops...

Clothes stay on Blaireness

• Advertisement
Advertisement