Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Becca22 wrote: »
    Did anyone get a reply from the Garda College when they confirmed their PCT date?

We have to confirm the PCT date?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Rothmans wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the physicals are going on? The only date I've seen on here is the 20th of June.

Think the 27th was mentioned as the last day when I was getting mine.

I wouldn't take that as 100% though, I didn't really take it in at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Does anyone know how long the physicals are going on? The only date I've seen on here is the 20th of June.

Have my PCT on the 7th of July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

K.Hammett wrote: »
    Think the 27th was mentioned as the last day when I was getting mine.

I wouldn't take that as 100% though, I didn't really take it in at the time.
    babybell wrote: »
    Have my PCT on the 7th of July

Thanks folks. I only ask as I am in a similar position to Blaireness. I'll need to get the company that did my surgery to send me out a report, which might delay my medical. I'll be ringing them first thing Monday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

We have to confirm the PCT date?

Yeah it said on the handout the gaurd gave us after the medical that we have to email the college

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Becca22 wrote: »
    Yeah it said on the handout the gaurd gave us after the medical that we have to email the college

Not on mine it didn't.

The only mention of an email is if you require accomodation.

Please done post any official correspondence online
    Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jasongibbons92

Anyone driving to Dublin from Tipp for the medical on Tuesday the 24th. It'd be nice not to have to travel alone.

Also fort the open day on Saturday the 21st.

I'm living in Nenagh with no car and public transport to Templemore is very awkward!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Theres an open day on the 21st?

Saturday 21st @11 am is what the e-mail said.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Saturday 21st @11 am is what the e-mail said.

Is this for the Irish stream by any chance?

• Advertisement

teaisgreat wrote: »
    Is this for the Irish stream by any chance?

Tá an ceart agat.

I wasn't sure if it would be mixed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Meeting with Super this week. Hopefully a date for my medical will follow so enough while I feel some bit healthy lol...

How are people feeling about their physical fitness test for this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

mickaleen wrote: »
    Meeting with Super this week. Hopefully a date for my medical will follow so enough while I feel some bit healthy lol...

How are people feeling about their physical fitness test for this week?

I think its going to be fine for 99% of people. We have being shown the exercises.. Its an average level of fitness and strength required. Everyone should be able reach the standard with the right preparation. The Medical was my last concern and thankfully I passed that. Physical on 25th so unless I fall ill or get injured in the meantime it will be fine. Once passed I will be calling HRM for an update on my background check and once that's cleared I can finally RELAX!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

octigen wrote: »
    I think its going to be fine for 99% of people. We have being shown the exercises.. Its an average level of fitness and strength required. Everyone should be able reach the standard with the right preparation. The Medical was my last concern and thankfully I passed that. Physical on 25th so unless I fall ill or get injured in the meantime it will be fine. Once passed I will be calling HRM for an update on my background check and once that's cleared I can finally RELAX!! :)

As soon as i pass my fitness i will be packing my bags for Templemore haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

octigen wrote: »
    That's good to hear, best of luck with it. I made good headway myself over the weekend, reached the level required for the beep test and only a few push ups away from reaching that target. Its funny the difference a few days make.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

That's good to hear, best of luck with it. I made good headway myself over the weekend, reached the level required for the beep test and only a few push ups away from reaching that target. Its funny the difference a few days make.

I'm the opposite! Got the push ups down just have to get a bit higher in the beep test!

Not confident for the beep test est. Scraped level 7 last night but I'm running out of time. Grand for the rest but I can't see myself passing the beep. Not being negative, just is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Not confident for the beep test est. Scraped level 7 last night but I'm running out of time. Grand for the rest but I can't see myself passing the beep. Not being negative, just is what it is.

Would you be in anyway active? And what level do you have to get to? I havnt worries at all about the fitness as I'm still waiting on the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

I'm exactly the same as you. I'm training for it and getting less confident every day. Anyone any ideas of the dates of physicals? If you fail are you out then and there or do you get a chance to retry, like with the eyes?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Same,struggling a bit still with the push ups, find the beep test grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Im getting to 9-9.5 the last few days so hopefully ill be ok. Thats on grass aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

WilcoOut wrote: »

Is that saying up until now 40 have joined full time!! Surely there will be another 30-40 next month

Carroller wrote: »
    Would you be in anyway active? And what level do you have to get to? I havnt worries at all about the fitness as I'm still waiting on the medical

I play 5-a-side regularly and can run 10k in under an hour. Just can't seem to handle the beep test. Whether it's technique or the stop-start nature it just seems like my general running is of little help. Having my wedding on Saturday doesn't help. :p

I'll see how it goes. I'm very matter-of-fact about these things. Might happen on the day but if not then I'll get sorted and hopefully blitz it if I get a second chance. Fingers crossed I won't need a second chance tho. I'll be working hard all week to get as close as I can.

I play 5-a-side regularly and can run 10k in under an hour. Just can't seem to handle the beep test. Whether it's technique or the stop-start nature it just seems like my general running is of little help. Having my wedding on Saturday doesn't help. :p

I'll see how it goes. I'm very matter-of-fact about these things. Might happen on the day but if not then I'll get sorted and hopefully blitz it if I get a second chance. Fingers crossed I won't need a second chance tho. I'll be working hard all week to get as close as I can.

Im the same - if you asked me to do the entire bleep test distance continuously id have no issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Did you try pacing yourself for each level i.e 9 seconds for level 1, 6.5 seconds for level 6 etc I found this a great help

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Just got the same email I got a couple of days ago with the pct attachments/date. It says "please find attached revised information for your pct".. Only difference I can see is they have left the date of my pct blank... Anyone else get this email?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Where abouts in the phoenix park is garda hq? How far a walk from Heuston?

Did you try pacing yourself for each level i.e 9 seconds for level 1, 6.5 seconds for level 6 etc I found this a great help

Yea I don't mind the pacing. It's literally a case of running out of steam and missing the beeps in the later levels. I'm comfortable to Level 6.3 or so and then find my legs tiring. I hit 7 last night and the tank was empty. Still have 3 days. I'm 60 seconds from glory as it were but those 60 seconds feel like an hour.

• Advertisement

Yea I don't mind the pacing. It's literally a case of running out of steam and missing the beeps in the later levels. I'm comfortable to Level 6.3 or so and then find my legs tiring. I hit 7 last night and the tank was empty. Still have 3 days. I'm 60 seconds from glory as it were but those 60 seconds feel like an hour.

What level do you personally have to reach?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

When I did my medical I asked the woman from appointments what the story was. She said the 21st of July is the hopeful start date but that if your vetting isn't done regardless if you are one on the panel you will be skipped until the vetting is done so the October group could be it for some of us who lived abroad etc.!

What level do you personally have to reach?

I'm 32 years old so 8.1.

I'd say I'm one of the oldest going for it. Don't get me wrong - I'm carrying a bit of weight and could be in better shape. There's no sense of injustice about it - just left it too late to get into the beep test - thought my jogging had me sorted.

Js back in from doing bleep test and reached level 9 went straight into press ups and got the 25 in one go then I reached 35 sit ups Just as the timer hit the 1 minute mark those sit ups are tricky to get bt I'm almost there. Just keep pushing yourselves guys nd you will get there in the end.

I'm 32 years old so 8.1.

I'd say I'm one of the oldest going for it. Don't get me wrong - I'm carrying a bit of weight and could be in better shape. There's no sense of injustice about it - just left it too late to get into the beep test - thought my jogging had me sorted.

The bleep can be very decieving fitness wise, its a tough test

just keep her lit and leave nothing in the tank on the day

Js back in from doing bleep test and reached level 9 went straight into press ups and got the 25 in one go then I reached 35 sit ups Just as the timer hit the 1 minute mark those sit ups are tricky to get bt I'm almost there. Just keep pushing yourselves guys nd you will get there in the end.

Almost there? Your def there!! Well done

Almost there? Your def there!! Well done

I just don't know if I'm doing the sit ups wrong because I don't see how anyone is meant to get 35 comfortably in 60 seconds

I just don't know if I'm doing the sit ups wrong because I don't see how anyone is meant to get 35 comfortably in 60 seconds

Im able to reach 50 in 60 seconds. Didnt happen over night , theyre tough going

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

When I did my medical I asked the woman from appointments what the story was. She said the 21st of July is the hopeful start date but that if your vetting isn't done regardless if you are one on the panel you will be skipped until the vetting is done so the October group could be it for some of us who lived abroad etc.!

Yes she said the same to me. The order of merit will be used for applications whose vetting has come back so if you are number 1 but vetting isn't back you will be in the November intake if there is one or the next intake after July was how it was worded to us! That being said they are giving stations ten days or so to turn them around so suspect the vetting wont be much of a hold up.

Yes she said the same to me. The order of merit will be used for applications whose vetting has come back so if you are number 1 but vetting isn't back you will be in the November intake if there is one or the next intake after July was how it was worded to us! That being said they are giving stations ten days or so to turn them around so suspect the vetting wont be much of a hold up.

So they won't be making any job offers until everyone has completed both the medical and physical?

• Advertisement

So they won't be making any job offers until everyone has completed both the medical and physical?

Of course not, Cant offer you a job you havnt qualified for

And the vetting. She said nothing will happen without vetting.

Oh do you mean no one person will get offered a job till everyone in stage 5 is finished? No as soon as they they their desired number passed medical, physical and vetting they'll go ahead with that group

Of course not, Cant offer you a job you havnt qualified for

Sorry, I think you misinterpreted. I mean is it so that they can't offer anyone a job until everyone is finished both the medical and physical?

For example, if the last day of medicals (for arguments sake) is Thursday 10 July, then they can't offer anyone a place until Monday 13 July so as to preserve the order of merit.

As to do otherwise would result in people higher up on the order of merit (e.g.150th place) being offered jobs ahead of those below them (e.g. 10th place) because their physical just so happens to fall on an earlier date (both of them having passed their respective background checks) than a the person who finished in 10th place.

And the vetting. She said nothing will happen without vetting.

Oh do you mean no one person will get offered a job till everyone in stage 5 is finished? No as soon as they they their desired number passed medical, physical and vetting they'll go ahead with that group

Yup, that's exactly what I mean.

Regarding the sentence in bold, would that not defeat the point on the order of merit then? I say this because people are not being called to medical (and thus physical) in order of merit.

EDIT: Perhaps not all 250, but the first 125 at least.

Sorry, I think you misinterpreted. I mean is it so that they can't offer anyone a job until everyone is finished both the medical and physical?

For example, if the last day of medicals (for arguments sake) is Thursday 10 July, then they can't offer anyone a place until Monday 13 July so as to preserve the order of merit.

As to do otherwise would result in people higher up on the order of merit (e.g.150th place) being offered jobs ahead of those below them (e.g. 10th place) because their physical just so happens to fall on an earlier date (both of them having passed their respective background checks) than a the person who finished in 10th place.

I'd say physical and medicals will all be done on time and vetting will then take over to decide who's in

I'd say physical and medicals will all be done on time and vetting will then take over to decide who's in

Yup that'd be my hope. By the looks of things, not everyone has gotten a medical date yet. My guess would be that they've taken roughly the top 125 - 150. Will do medicals and physicals on them. Wait until everyone's done, then start offering places in order of merit (if vetting is passed). Then, whoever's left over/deferred etc will be put on a panel for October.
    And while the few that have been put on a panel for October wait, they'll bring forward the next 150 waiting in line for medicals and physicals. That's be my guess (or hope perhaps :pac: )

I was just thinking. She said 21st of July as hopeful start date including 2 weeks notice if possible... So that means vetting done by July 7th!

Yup that'd be my hope. By the looks of things, not everyone has gotten a medical date yet. My guess would be that they've taken roughly the top 125 - 150. Will do medicals and physicals on them. Wait until everyone's done, then start offering places in order of merit (if vetting is passed). Then, whoever's left over/deferred etc will be put on a panel for October.
    And while the few that have been put on a panel for October wait, they'll bring forward the next 150 waiting in line for medicals and physicals. That's be my guess (or hope perhaps :pac: )

Iv got medical completed and physical date and I'm outside the top 150

Iv got medical completed and physical date and I'm outside the top 150

Yeah, I realise that. There are plenty of people inside it who haven't received any word yet, so that's why I used the qualifier 'roughly'.

• Advertisement

I was just thinking. She said 21st of July as hopeful start date including 2 weeks notice if possible... So that means vetting done by July 7th!

Yeah, it's been discussed here a bit. Realistically, I'd say it'll be the last Monday in July as planned (or early August), as they need to give folks reasonable notice. 21 July seems a bit ambitious (and unfair on those in full-time employment at present).

Advertisement