Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Just had a look at the email lads with the "revised" information sheets. The first page states that you DO need to confirm your attendance. It didn't say that on the documents I got on the day of my medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Rothmans wrote: »
    Yeah, it's been discussed here a bit. Realistically, I'd say it'll be the last Monday in July as planned (or early August), as they need to give folks reasonable notice. 21 July seems a bit ambitious (and unfair on those in full-time employment at present).

In my meeting with the super I was told that if I make the July class expect a 1 week notice, then again that could be just more guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

babybell wrote: »
    In my meeting with the super I was told that if I make the July class expect a 1 week notice, then again that could be just more guessing

:eek: Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I'd obviously do my best to make it if I got the call, but I'm sure it'd peeve off a few people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

1 week notice would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Garda in appointments said they would love to give a months notice but by the time they get fitness results and figure out order of merit it will probably be 3 weeks notice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    1 week notice would be ridiculous.

I thought so too but he told me this as he was on the last recruitment process

Garda in appointments said they would love to give a months notice but by the time they get fitness results and figure out order of merit it will probably be 3 weeks notice

That sounds a lot better! If you have a week of annual leave saved up, then you could swing three weeks notice without upsetting anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Anyone else out there still struggling a bit with the 25 push ups? Abs are fairly tender which isn't helping! Only 4 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

I'm 32 years old so 8.1.

I'd say I'm one of the oldest going for it. Don't get me wrong - I'm carrying a bit of weight and could be in better shape. There's no sense of injustice about it - just left it too late to get into the beep test - thought my jogging had me sorted.
    You will manage it alright on the day, just try and get another few shuttles into your test and you will easily make up the rest in the test. How often are you doing the beep test (practicing)?? For me, I only do it twice a day, when I get home from work I throw on my gear and head out. I normally do my best one first and then after a few minutes rest I start again but always only reach a level behind my original run. The day I did hit the 8.1 target I did the test again the next day and only got to 6.7.....you just need to keep at it but don't overdo it. I had a night off last night but I am going at it again this evening and if I can get into somewhere in level 7 I'm happy with that. I'm 34 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TurnerDHR

20times wrote: »
    Anyone else out there still struggling a bit with the 25 push ups? Abs are fairly tender which isn't helping! Only 4 days to go!

Sit ups worry me more, start to feel the burn after about 25 and 35 in 60 seconds is quite tight. I just wonder how strict they will be, for example your form in the push ups, do they want straight backs and 90 degree arms or will they allow for a bit of fault

• Advertisement

I was struggling massively with the push ups up to about 3 or 4 days ago. I was only getting about 11 done. I just kept at it doing sets and now I can do 20. I don't even have a medical date yet so by the time I have my Physical I should be at 25.

How many are you at at the moment?? Are you far off the 25??

TurnerDHR wrote: »
    Sit ups worry me more, start to feel the burn after about 25 and 35 in 60 seconds is quite tight. I just wonder how strict they will be, for example your form in the push ups, do they want straight backs and 90 degree arms or will they allow for a bit of fault
    From what I remember at the open day, your elbows need to be at a right angle when you go down, you dont need to go any lower. You also need to keep your ass in a reasonable position, ie not having it stuck up in the air or dropping too low when you go down. Planks would help you cope with this if you have the time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

For sit ups they told us your shoulder blades have to hit the floor and then your elbows have to hit your knees.

For the press-ups as mickaleen said above, 90 degree angle with your elbow on the way down, shoulders to feet should be a straight line for men, shoulders to knees for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wazzio182

when your doing pushups make sure you get through them quick. a lot of people will lower themselves slowly to make their form look perfect. the longer you take the more and more tension you are putting on your muscles, this is all well and good if trying to build muscle/get in shape but the goal is to pass the test so I would suggest try do them fast keeping your stomach tight and engaged. i'm wondering how strict they will be on situp form as 35 in a minute is difficult, as mentioned above touch shoulder blades to floor but try not to rest or pause when you reach the starting position. best of luck to everyone doing the physical this week

mickaleen wrote: »
    I was struggling massively with the push ups up to about 3 or 4 days ago. I was only getting about 11 done. I just kept at it doing sets and now I can do 20. I don't even have a medical date yet so by the time I have my Physical I should be at 25.

How many are you at at the moment?? Are you far off the 25??

I was just after hitting the 25 when the abs started giving me probs. I probably don't incorporate enough core exercises into my workouts. Not worried about 8.8 on the bleep or the sit ups, but worried about the push ups. Even when I was starting to hit the 25 last week, the technique on the last few wad questionable! !

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Lady in HRM said it could very well be one weeks notice. The first class is somewhere between 90 - 105 but this hasn't being confirmed. They will be informing the first intake at the same time. Also an Induction week will be held and this is planned for the 21st of July but this is not included in the 32 weeks.

I was just after hitting the 25 when the abs started giving me probs. I probably don't incorporate enough core exercises into my workouts. Not worried about 8.8 on the bleep or the sit ups, but worried about the push ups. Even when I was starting to hit the 25 last week, the technique on the last few wad questionable! !

Aim to hit one more per session over the next couple of days. Also if you do 25 and are busted. Give yourself a minute and then do 10 more or as close to it.

Squeezing out more when you're tired is what builds up the muscle memory. Goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

octigen wrote: »
    Lady in HRM said it could very well be one weeks notice. The first class is somewhere between 90 - 105 but this hasn't being confirmed. They will be informing the first intake at the same time. Also an Induction week will be held and this is planned for the 21st of July but this is not included in the 32 weeks.

What does this mean Octigen?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Has anyone still no heard anything on getting a medical? Getting a bit worried

Chirper wrote: »
    Has anyone still no heard anything on getting a medical? Getting a bit worried
    I'm still waiting Chirper. I am in the 100-200 batch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

What does this mean Octigen?

That they will be waiting until they have the required number for the first intake fully passed and cleared before they notify anyone as oppose to notifying people individually as they qualify.

After physical I will be calling HRM and asking if my vetting is back. If it is I should be assured of July intake as was in top 100. She said you can ring to ask if your vetting is back, they can tell you if it is or not but will not give out other information on it.

I wonder if they'll give 2nd chances to people who don't pass one element on the day, hopefully!

I wonder if they'll give 2nd chances to people who don't pass one element on the day, hopefully!

This is purely speculation but I got the impression they will from the introduction we were given on the open day. Might be the next intake however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

This is purely speculation but I got the impression they will from the introduction we were given on the open day. Might be the next intake however.

According to the open day its 'entirely at the discretion of the director of training'

So a rerun of a failed test is far from gaurenteed

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Still waiting to hear about my eyes. This is nerve wracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Hey all, Has anyone in Connacht met the sergeant, but not heard from the super yet??? *concerned face* Medical this friday, would love to have it out of the way before then.

Blaireness wrote: »
    Still waiting to hear about my eyes. This is nerve wracking.
    Did you get your letter into them yesterday?? If so, it might take a few days to be sorted. Whatever you have been told, add a few more days onto it. That's the way this whole process seems to have gone since it started. I'd be more worried if you haven't heard from them by Friday.

mickaleen wrote: »
    Did you get your letter into them yesterday?? If so, it might take a few days to be sorted. Whatever you have been told, add a few more days onto it. That's the way this whole process seems to have gone since it started. I'd be more worried if you haven't heard from them by Friday.

Sent it as a scan via email on Friday. The receptionist emailed me yesterday to tell me that the doctor reviewing it would be in today. She emailed me today to let me know that she'll be in touch early this afternoon with the decision... Nail biting stuff.

You should be ok. Can understand why you would be anxious over it but I wouldn't imagine there being an issue. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Passed the medical!!! :D

Should get a physical date tomorrow :)

Brilliant, delight for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Great news :) had mine deferred today for five weeks to let my eyes heal from the surgery. Hopefully I'll get good news when I go back with my cert :)

Physical on Friday, it's so close now!! The final hurdle!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

Well done to everyone who passed the medical!!! I wouldn't be too worried for anyone waiting due to their eyes, they seem very fair about that one. The super I met yesterday passed comment on me wearing glasses and said not to worry about it at all, if you're suitable to get them fixed you're flying.
    However, I am VERY nervous about the physical. There's just no way i see myself passing the bleep as it stands. Anyone any clue what the last physical date is?

Hit 7.3 on the beep test this evening. If I somehow pull this off it will be by the skinniest skin of my teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 How banal...

Best of luck Shiverin. You'll be surprised how the adrenaline will keep you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Are there two types of vetting one done by your local segeant and one by H.Q, can we take it if your local sergeant brought up any issues thats the end of it and it would come up again?!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

I can tell ye if anyone looks to be struggling beside me on Friday I'm gonna be shouting at them to keep up! Determination, adrenaline and doing it in a group will get us all there!

I can tell ye if anyone looks to be struggling beside me on Friday I'm gonna be shouting at them to keep up! Determination, adrenaline and doing it in a group will get us all there!

I'll need a few roars to push me through the push ups! Will manage the beep/sits ups no prob!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Hit 7.3 on the beep test this evening. If I somehow pull this off it will be by the skinniest skin of my teeth.

I'd advise you to rest for 2 days before the test. I went mad training for the few days before my physical for the army and ended up with shin splints on the day.

• Advertisement

Aye, ye are all in it together, plenty of encouragement needed!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Someone told me to make sure to eat a banana a day to stave off muscle cramps... Something about the potassium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

Training well get you there. If your to lazy to train at home the last month for it then ur only fooling yourself. if you think that you can step up to the mark on the day with out proper training then you don't deserve a place in templemore.

Fail to prepare, parade to fail.

Someone told me to make sure to eat a banana a day to stave off muscle cramps... Something about the potassium?

Yep, I eat bananas the day before and the day of a match. Slowly release energy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Thats the spirit - we're all on the one road, comrades all!!

especially for the lads from 8.0 onwards.......

redsurfer wrote: »
    Training well get you there. If your to lazy to train at home the last month for it then ur only fooling yourself. if you think that you can step up to the mark on the day with out proper training then you don't deserve a place in templemore.

Fail to prepare, parade to fail.

In fairness, some may not have been able to train due to illness or injury.

Meeting with the Super done and dusted this morning. I must say, himself and the Sergeant I met were two lovely fella's, down to earth, level headed blokes.

2 hurdles left now. Hopefully I'll get a date for my medical in the next week or so.

Shiverin, well done on getting to 7.3, pick up another shuttle or two this evening and you'll reach the 8.1 on Friday no problem. As Wideasagate and Kersplat said, plenty of encouragement and get each other over the line.

Best of luck to anyone doing their Physical test this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I haven't been able to go out running since last week because of the fecking pollen count.
    I'm walking around dribbling snot constantly and can hardly breath.
    On the plus side, I haven't even gotten a medical date yet so I probably have a bit more time to prepare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

2 days left till the first PCT!!!!

How are you feeling?

Shifty13 wrote: »
    2 days left till the first PCT!!!!

How are you feeling?

Nervous tbh. 1 last hurdle!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement