Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Shifty13 wrote: »
    2 days left till the first PCT!!!!

How are you feeling?

Like a ball of nerves

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Don't be stressing people. You'll be amazed what effect adrenaline will have on you. it will be like getting an extra kick along. That and the benefit of doing it alongside other people that will bring you along. Well be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Chirper wrote: »
    Don't be stressing people. You'll be amazed what effect adrenaline will have on you. it will be like getting an extra kick along. That and the benefit of doing it alongside other people that will bring you along. Well be fine.

For sure, adrenaline, excitement, pace setters and comraderie

it will all help

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Key is not to take off like a mad lunatic. People will do it and with all the excitement in you will have the urge to do it aswell. Try and get a good rhythm and try to be hitting the end of the 20m shuttle right on the beep. Taking off at the start attempting to look like G.I. Joe will end up in one result. Failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Got my date for the physical, 27th of June. Last step! We're all so close now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Has anyone received a email back from the college when you confirm pct?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Dongaz wrote: »
    Has anyone received a email back from the college when you confirm pct?

Nope. I got the updated email asking me to email and replied immediately.

Hit level 8.1.

Can't believe it. I was an absolute shell of a man afterwards, but I hit it. Will be some craic doing the sit ups and press ups immediately after. Will need at least 5 or 10 minutes to inhale afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I hit 9.3 yesterday so i think i will take today and tomorrow off and rest up my legs!

• Advertisement

Jaysus fair play to you man. I was empty at 8.1. You'll be well confident on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Jaysus fair play to you man. I was empty at 8.1. You'll be well confident on the day.

Believe it or not im still very anxious about it even though i can do it and the push ups and sit ups. Can we have a bottle of water with us doing bleep test do ye think?? I always sip on water when im doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Tried to do the beep test on a treadmill. Forgetting it was set to mph. Nearly died/cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

Would you say there'll be a warm-up on the day before the beep test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Would you say there'll be a warm-up on the day before the beep test?

I don't know the answer but I'd be surprised if there was. The first few levels are a light jog which would be a warm up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If there isn't make sure you atleast stretch before you start, whatever about just not being fit enough and failing but to pull a muscle or whatever would be hard to take if you didn't stretch properly before hand. It only takes a couple of minutes and as the poster above said, the first few rounds will finish off the warm up for you

• Advertisement

Hit 7.5 and had a bit of a wobble to had to stop

got bk in at 8.0 and got to 8.7 with plenty in the tank

was on my knees 10days ago at 6.2

some improvment

Keep her lit is the motto!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Where are ye practicing it lads? Indoors/outdoors? I'm managing 9 outside but I can imagine it'll be tougher indoors as breathing will be a little tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

K.Hammett wrote: »
    Where are ye practicing it lads? Indoors/outdoors? I'm managing 9 outside but I can imagine it'll be tougher indoors as breathing will be a little tougher

Im practicing outside on mossy grass so should be a bit easier on the timber floor, though as you say the breaching will be a little tougher. Still struggling with the press ups with whatever I did to my abs, not too bad doing the sit ups but v painful doing the push ups!

K.Hammett wrote: »

Im practicing outside on mossy grass so should be a bit easier on the timber floor, though as you say the breathing will be a little tougher. Still struggling with the press ups with whatever I did to my abs, not too bad doing the sit ups but v painful doing the push ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

20times wrote: »
    Im practicing outside on mossy grass so should be a bit easier on the timber floor, though as you say the breathing will be a little tougher. Still struggling with the press ups with whatever I did to my abs, not too bad doing the sit ups but v painful doing the push ups!

I've tried it on grass. Didn't make it passed 8. Found it a lot more energy sapping on the legs.
    I'm doing my best to measure it without tape. Tend to walk out about 27 steps...

Push ups and sit ups are coming along slowly. Hoping the day that's in it will push me over the line because I've tried going straight from the beep test into push ups and sit ups and its certainly not easy.

• Advertisement

I'm out on the lawn too. The hall is plenty big enough - don't think air will be too much of an issue over the 7 or 8 minutes. The sun was beating down today too and the lawn obviously is nowhere near as smooth as the timbers will be.

I expect to do better on the day - maybe I'll be wrong.

I have been doing it on a football pitch that hasnt been cut in a bit

i secured a basketball court today and the difference is emmence! You can move alot swifter on timber so keep that in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Been doing it on concrete having measured it out with a tape. I imagine the grass would be tougher to run on but easier to turn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Has anyone got accommodation for tomorrow night? I haven't gotten a reply from them so will have to ring in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Has anyone got accommodation for tomorrow night? I haven't gotten a reply from them so will have to ring in the morning.

I'm the same, no word back. I didn't hear back when I stayed down before the open day and I rang on the day, luckily cause they had me in for the wrong night. Took ages to get thru to anyone who knew the story about rooms though!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Doing medical Friday do i need to bring anything with me..what should i wear??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

rectuitnot wrote: »
    Anyone else fail their medical??

what did you fail it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

Anyone else fail their medical??

So sorry to hear that... Haven't done mine yet, hopefully you'll have a chance to retry??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Hi all,

Just on the medicals - when you replied to the HRM email, did you receive any response? I've replied but received no response.

Good luck to all doing it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

djor88 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just on the medicals - when you replied to the HRM email, did you receive any response? I've replied but received no response.

I got a response fairly snappy when confirming date of medical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Bmi. I'm devastated, worked so hard dropping weight but still had last couple of kilos to go. No deferral, end of the road for me
    Sorry to hear that.

Bmi. I'm devastated, worked so hard dropping weight but still had last couple of kilos to go. No deferral, end of the road for me

You'd imagine after getting this far they would defer you and then do another bmi check at a later date!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Hi all,

I Replied and got no response, still heading up tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Sorry to hear this - at the very very least, you can be proud that you got to the very final stages.

There's no way they'll defer or anything for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Hi all,

Replied and got a couple of emails back asking me to reply. Followed by a phone call asking me why I hadn't replied. I'd say there's issues with their email ring them if you're worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HungryMantis

Unlucky but it's still worth your while dropping the weight so don't stop now. In a couple of years... Another drive, another chance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

timmy99 wrote: »
    Are there two types of vetting one done by your local segeant and one by H.Q, can we take it if your local sergeant brought up any issues thats the end of it and it would come up again?!

The vetting is done locally. If there are any matters coming to light e.g. a record of an arrest the local Sergeant will investigate this. The file will then be sent on to the Super for his/her consideration. If he is satisfied with the Sergeants report that will be that.

A very tough break, sorry to hear this

may i enquire as to the BMI level they failed u on? Perhaps it could help others that will come to this stage in the future

I was very worried about my BMI and I got through on 28/29 I think. The doc told me 30 was the cut off.

They told us in the seminar at stage 3 that 30 was the cut off but I presumed they would at least defer you if you didn't make it. Seems like a lot of wasted time and expense to get you to stage 5 only to outright disqualify you. A deferral of 3 months would have suited all parties I'd have thought.

Gutted for you man. As others have said though, stay the course, keep your weight going the right way and reapply when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

No she was very cut and dry about it that she wouldn't defer me.

I think its a HRM decision to defer you, I'd ring them up and ask them. the Doctor only checks your health not your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

When you email the college to confirm your pct are u supposed to get a reply email?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Shifty13 wrote: »
    I think its a HRM decision to defer you, I'd ring them up and ask them. the Doctor only checks your health not your application.
    +1

They certainly used to allow you to defer on BMI/weight grounds. Long time ago so things may have changed, but worth fully checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TurnerDHR

fitzzbill wrote: »
    When you email the college to confirm your pct are u supposed to get a reply email?

Got a group email this morning confirming PCT for tomorrow. Looks like it was sent to around 15 or 20 people. They may only confirm it the day before your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    +1

They certainly used to allow you to defer on BMI/weight grounds. Long time ago so things may have changed, but worth fully checking out.

I would harass them until I got a deferral, email, ring everyone!!

Have an excuse for weight exam stress or something!!

WilcoOut wrote: »
    A very tough break, sorry to hear this

may i enquire as to the BMI level they failed u on? Perhaps it could help others that will come to this stage in the future

Did you get a reply on this? I'm pretty worried now...!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

smc87 wrote: »
    Did you get a reply on this? I'm pretty worried now...!

The cut off is 30 so if you're below you're fine, above and you'll need to get working on it before the medical.

I know what Wilco is asking but if you're above 30 you need to get it sorted and not hope that they let you slide by on 30.5 or whatever

I'll use this lost to say good luck to all doing the PCT, remember, plenty of hydration, plenty of sleep tonight, lots of encouragement for others and give it everything on the day!

Of your slightly over they will do a hip to waist measurement

if your well over they wont

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Of your slightly over they will do a hip to waist measurement

if your well over they wont

On my scale, I'm just okay, but I'm worried because scales vary! Thanks for the reply

smc87 wrote: »
    On my scale, I'm just okay, but I'm worried because scales vary! Thanks for the reply

I was heavier on my scales too

wear light clothes, take as much of it off as possible and nothing in the pockets!

Aye the nurse asked me to just take my shoes off and step on the scales. I was wearing jeans. Off came the shoes and the belt. Out came the phone, wallet and keys onto the photocopier next to it.

If it would have ended up making the difference I would have stripped bollock naked in the corridor if I'd have had to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement