Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

You can appeal, ring the commission for civil service appointments today, they have a website. And keep training while you appeal! If they can defer for eye tests they can defer for that! I appealed stage 3 and won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

You can appeal, ring the commission for civil service appointments today, they have a website. And keep training while you appeal! If they can defer for eye tests they can defer for that! I appealed stage 3 and won

Good stuff!

Friend of mine appealed something from the early stages and lost out

what were u appealing?

WilcoOut wrote: »
    Good stuff!

Friend of mine appealed something from the early stages and lost out

what were u appealing?

The report writing. Kindly told PAS that I am trained it in and came at the top of a different panel 3 years ran by them in the exact same format!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Liverpoolfc88

totally agree with this, I appealed stage three successfully. @wideasagate you should most certainly appeal. There are exceptions made for those who need laser eye surgery, if the campaign is moving the goal posts for some people it should do the same for others. equality and all that jazz. keep going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

From reading old posts, regarding bmi, it appears that they used defer if you were only a bit over and it was reasonable to think you would lose it in 6 weeks. However, where people were over by a fair bit, it was a straight fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

At this stage of the process, we are all everything they want in a gaurd in terms of personality, traits, experience, etc!
    Deferring for eye sight, yet not BMI is unfair, and definitely worth the appeal.

Best of luck to everyone starting the PCT tomorrow, fingers crossed we get through it okay!
    Bag of nerves!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

I can kinda see why they'd defer for eyes and not BMI in a way. With eye-sight, laser is a one-off fix for years typically. Whereas the amount of people who are obese and lose weight only to put it back on is incredibly high, generally speaking. Of course there are the individuals who are heavy, put on weight, make a change, lose it and then manage to keep it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Blaireness wrote: »
    I can kinda see why they'd defer for eyes and not BMI in a way. With eye-sight, laser is a one-off fix for years typically. Whereas the amount of people who are obese and lose weight only to put it back on is incredibly high, generally speaking. Of course there are the individuals who are heavy, put on weight, make a change, lose it and then manage to keep it off.

You Bitch......

:)

totally agree with this, I appealed stage three successfully. @wideasagate you should most certainly appeal. There are exceptions made for those who need laser eye surgery, if the campaign is moving the goal posts for some people it should do the same for others. equality and all that jazz. keep going :)

I'm finished with my appeal, that was for stage 3. Thank god I did it. Writing that email was the best thing I ever did!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Anyone else a bag of nerves for tomorrow? Push ups are my main concern, hope I can get through them. Congrats to you all on getting here and best of luck tomorrow. I hope you all pass. Im sure many of you are in the same boat as me in terms of this being your dream job, and having waited so long to get here I just hope to pass the final hurdle. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Got my date for the medical. Last minute cancelation and got the call!

BRB wrote: »

Great stuff!

I did my super meeting and medical this week. The meeting was a bit more formal than I thought it would be and it was quite short, only about ten mins, half of which was him going through the form. But he said something along the lines of ' you needn't worry about me getting in the way of your application' so I'm not too worried about that.

Medical passed and I'm delighted. Nearly there folks. Good luck y'all doing that there medical tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

20times wrote: »
    Anyone else a bag of nerves for tomorrow? Push ups are my main concern, hope I can get through them. Congrats to you all on getting here and best of luck tomorrow. I hope you all pass. Im sure many of you are in the same boat as me in terms of this being your dream job, and having waited so long to get here I just hope to pass the final hurdle. Best of luck!
    Bag of nerves too. I can do 9.5 in bleep test md can do the push ups and sit ups no prob but still nervous as hell!!

Bag of nerves too. I can do 9.5 in bleep test md can do the push ups and sit ups no prob but still nervous as hell!!

Ah, you're sorted! Im grand for the bleep test and the sits ups, struggling with an injury that's hindering my push ups, hope fully the adrenaline will kick me on! Hopefully the obstacle course/push pull will be ok!

20times wrote: »
    Ah, you're sorted! Im grand for the bleep test and the sits ups, struggling with an injury that's hindering my push ups, hope fully the adrenaline will kick me on! Hopefully the obstacle course/push pull will be ok!

Im not too too worried about the obstacle course as i know a load of very unfit guards who had to do that and if they were able to then anyone can. U'll be fine with push ups. Once you're hitting 20 at home you will be fine. Take a breather after 15 then again at 30 and the last 5 will be fine

The obstacle course is the easiest of the lot lads!!!

Yeah not too worried about the course. Reckon once I can do the push ups Ill be grand.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Great stuff!

I did my super meeting and medical this week. The meeting was a bit more formal than I thought it would be and it was quite short, only about ten mins, half of which was him going through the form. But he said something along the lines of ' you needn't worry about me getting in the way of your application' so I'm not too worried about that.

Medical passed and I'm delighted. Nearly there folks. Good luck y'all doing that there medical tomorrow.

Yeah had my meetings and such already. They all were pretty informal! Delighted to get the call for medical thought it'd be months before I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I think I'll be fit enough for the bleep test but does anyone know how many shuttles are in each stage? And what break you'll get between bleep and sit-ups/pressups?

• Advertisement

Carroller wrote: »
    I think I'll be fit enough for the bleep test but does anyone know how many shuttles are in each stage? And what break you'll get between bleep and sit-ups/pressups?

The amount of shuttles varies, I think they said somewhere between 9-12.
    Not sure about the break! Id imagine there's a lot of standing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

BRB wrote: »

Did they say one person had cancelled or did they imply more than one person?

D Trent wrote: »
    Did they say one person had cancelled or did they imply more than one person?

Seemed to suggest just one. They needed a confirmation on the spot or they would have to pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

At the conference for stage three, they made it clear that there was no deferring for bmi. They said eyesight and bmi were the two biggest fails and bmi was an instant fail and it would be a shame to fail on something that's so easy to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Have my meeting with the super tomorrow, is there anything I need to know, any garda related knowledge I need to brush up on?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

Have my meeting with the super tomorrow, is there anything I need to know, any garda related knowledge I need to brush up on?

Cheers

This first meeting I had was so relaxed, when I went to meet the super I got a shock, it was a lot more formal. That said, it wasn't like the interview. I was asked why I wanted to join, what I think about how the job is reflected in media, and then some random q's like highest rank in AGS. Nothing very tough, drew a black on Noirin O'sullivans name and nearly died.. He just laughed and told me to relax! Then asked how friends/family reacted to me getting this far.

As I left he just said I wouldn't be having any problems from their end and wished me luck for the rest!

• Advertisement

Cheers

I suppose it depends on the super. The one I got just had the four interests I had listed at the back of my form b and asked me about them. He also asked me how i came up with my email address (same as my user name). I was asked nothing about current events, he just asked me about running and cooking (which I had as 2 of my interests) and talked a bit about his own running.
    He also asked me about the incident of me being arrested and about one of my uncles who had been in trouble.
    That was basically the entire thing, it didn't feel like a test or anything and it genuinely seemed like he wanted to see me succeed.

One thing to note, when he was discussing my arrest he said he wouldn't hold it against me but a lot of people would. So I think it really does depend who you get.

Cheers lads.

Also, I.must say; no offense meant but we were told months ago about the. Strict cut off so I've very little sympathy for anyone who went out on it. There was Enough time. It was also widely discussed here that it was an immediate fail.

Cheers lads.

Also, I.must say; no offense meant but we were told months ago about the. Strict cut off so I've very little sympathy for anyone who went out on it. There was Enough time. It was also widely discussed here that it was an immediate fail.

Cheers lads.

Go to sleep drunky!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Best of luck everyone today.
    Last hurdle today and that's yee all done.

Put it in and don't stop running !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

Good luck everyone today!

All your training and hard work will pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Had a dream that only two people got past level 7 in today's PCT, and I wasn't one of them! :/

Things won't be as bad as that this morning hopefully.

It's a long way to Tipperary, but it's getting closer with every step.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Good luck today lads!
    Ye'll do great. Keep her lit!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

It will be interesting to hear how it went especially regarding how strict they are on certain aspects of the test.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Passed. \o/

Now, roll on the wedding tomorrow!

Beep test first - much easier on timbers.

I personally struggled to hit the 32 sit ups despite finding them easy at home. Think I blitzed too quickly at the start as I lay down for the last one for 5 seconds before the 10 second count.

The press ups were fine for me.

The circuit was OK. I knocked the barrier once but did it in 2.50 odd. Mannequin was tough by Round 3 but don't worry.

Push pull was grand for a man of my considerable bulk. :p

Everyone will definitely find an extra level on the day. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate. If you're not pissing pure water before hand drink more! I took about 8 slashes in the space of three hours including against a gate on the down.

Good luck to ye all. Ye will be fine.

Passed. \o/

I personally struggled to hit the 32 sit ups despite finding them easy at home. Think I blitzed too quickly at the start as I lay down for the last one for 5 seconds before the 10 second count.

The circuit was OK. I knocked the barrier once but did it in 2.50 odd. Mannequin was tough by Round 3 but don't worry.

Everyone will definitely find an extra level on the day. Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate. If you're not pissing pure water before hand drink more! I took about 8 slashes in the space of three hours including against a gate on the down.

Great stuff. Anyone fail. How did others deal with the push pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hands_shaking

Congratulations ShiverinEskimo :-D do you know if many or any in your group failed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Passed. \o/

Well done and enjoy tomorrow!

Few questions and I suspect you will get plenty Qs on here today!

1) glad beep is easier on timber. Happy enough now on grass but a bit more reassurance if timber seemed ok. Did they tell ya stop once you hit your required level? Anyone fail the beep test? How strict are they with people who miss the beep?

2) Much of a break between it and the press-ups/sit ups? They strict with these etc and stopping if your technique not correct

3) Anyone fail push-pull? I should be ok but havent an idea!

4) much hanging around on the day. many people doing test today?

5) what did they say at the end? Did they measure you up once you passed?

Well done anyways.

None that I know of but I hit the road immediately after the push pull. And I was in group A so was first to finish.

I'm sure more stories will follow over the evening.

Passed. \o/

I hope you left something in the tank for tomorrow night ;)

• Advertisement

Went through PCT today also. Was mostly worried about the sit ups as well but a combination of team effort and outright determination got me through them. The rest was fine.

I was in the second group and a few people struggled with the bleep test and the push pull but mostly just scraped it or are trying to schedule a repeat of that one section with HRM.

The instructors are all sound and don't want anyone to fail at this point which is very encouraging.

@ShiverinEskimo I shouted it to you as you left, but I'll say it again here, congratulations man, and best of luck tomorrow. Enjoy every minute of it, you deserve it, and at least you don't have the tests hanging over you during the wedding now. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Went through PCT today also. Was mostly worried about the sit ups as well but a combination of team effort and outright determination got me through them. The rest was fine.

I was in the second group and a few people struggled with the bleep test and the push pull but mostly just scraped it or are trying to schedule a repeat of that one section with HRM.

The instructors are all sound and don't want anyone to fail at this point which is very encouraging.

@ShiverinEskimo I shouted it to you as you left, but I'll say it again here, congratulations man, and best of luck tomorrow. Enjoy every minute of it, you deserve it, and at least you don't have the tests hanging over you during the wedding now. Well done.

Congrats yourself! :)

Everything passed done and dusted. Cant believe i have all stages completed. Will be waiting for postman or email to see if it's july or october ill be starting. Beer o'clock!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Everything passed done and dusted. Cant believe i have all stages completed. Will be waiting for postman or email to see if it's july or october ill be starting. Beer o'clock!!!

Congrats! Many down there today roughly? I'm up on wednesday. Where are you in order of merit roughly speaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LockieFF

Can anyone tell me if there was much of a warm-up before the beep test? Also was the beep test the first thing for everyone on the day or is it split up?

Well done to all who have gotten this far and passed today!!!

Well done and enjoy tomorrow!

Few questions and I suspect you will get plenty Qs on here today!

1) glad beep is easier on timber. Happy enough now on grass but a bit more reassurance if timber seemed ok. Did they tell ya stop once you hit your required level? Anyone fail the beep test? How strict are they with people who miss the beep?

2) Much of a break between it and the press-ups/sit ups? They strict with these etc and stopping if your technique not correct

3) Anyone fail push-pull? I should be ok but havent an idea!

4) much hanging around on the day. many people doing test today?

5) what did they say at the end? Did they measure you up once you passed?

Well done anyways.

1) We started with a few minutes warm up. Laps around the centre doing slow jogs, lunges and sideways star jumps or whatever you call them.

I actually didn't know there was no level 8.0 - as soon as you hear the "start of level 8" signal you've done 8.1 so I actually had 8.2 put down on my form because I heard the level 8 signal and then turned and sprinted out. They will stop you once you hit the requirement though because they want to get through the groups - no point having a David Beckham holding the show up.

2) We got about 10 minutes rest. Was plenty. Any longer and I was afraid I would cool down too much - in fact I probably suffered for the sit ups because of the wait a bit. Maybe. But might not be the same for you.

3) I've no idea. I was out of there like a shot when I got out. I actually wish I'd stayed on a bit - a girl that was on my medical that was also in my group today directly after me was doing hers as I left and I wanted to see how she got on. Excitement and the fact I had a wedding speech to get home to got the better of me.

4) I was the first group so I went in at 9. Started around 9:45 ish and was in the car on the way home at 12:30. If you're in the later groups it's just hard luck - you'll be waiting around to start the beep test and so your day will extend. The latest you might be there is about 15:30 according to the schedule though.

5) No mention of being measured up - that seems to have been forgotten or knocked on the head. I left anyways and plenty didn't know what I was on about when I mentioned being sized. Who knows - maybe someone who stayed later can confirm. Be some craic if I'm called back down.

Just home. Cheers lad and congrats yourself. I knew someone would twig me on this eventually with all my wedding chatter. Couldn't contain it. As one of my mates put it - these two days are about define the rest of my life. Madness Ted!

I was in the second group and a few people struggled with the bleep test and the push pull but mostly just scraped it or are trying to schedule a repeat of that one section with

Oh no, did many fail on push pull?

Rothmans wrote: »
    Oh no, did many fail on push pull?

Just the one (by the time I left). Felt awful for them to get the whole way to there only to fall on the last hurdle, hopefully they can organise a second attempt.

Just the one (by the time I left). Felt awful for them to get the whole way to there only to fall on the last hurdle, hopefully they can organise a second attempt.

Terrible. At least it sounds like they'll have another bite of the cherry. One more question. What was the ratio, roughly, of men to women at your assessment?

• Advertisement

Anyone else drained after today?! Great to be finished with it and my heart goes out to anyone who has to redo anything!

Advertisement