Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rothmans wrote: »
    Terrible. At least it sounds like they'll have another bite of the cherry. One more question. What was the ratio, roughly, of men to women at your assessment?

Approximately 1:5-6, but I didn't count so I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Approximately 1:5-6, but I didn't count so I dunno

Wow, very few girls so! If I get this it will be mighty different compared to college and my course!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Blaireness wrote: »
    Wow, very few girls so! If I get this it will be mighty different compared to college and my course!

Same i went to mary I. Complete opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

r_k.com wrote: »
    Same i went to mary I. Complete opposite.

Odds are in your favour so...

giggedy

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Just the one (by the time I left). Felt awful for them to get the whole way to there only to fall on the last hurdle, hopefully they can organise a second attempt.

Was it a male or female? You would think they would let them repeat that test there and then as its so quick. Unless they were well off i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Passed the PCT today as well. Looking forward to handing in my notice on Monday morning!

There were about 40 of us there today, split into 5 groups. I'd say the average age is about the 25 mark and there were only about 8 or 9 females.

Congrats to everyone else who passed today and commiserations to those that didn't. By the time I left 2 didn't make it on the bleep test and 1 on the push pull. Repeats are at the discretion of HRM. Hopefully they'll get another go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Passed the PCT today as well. Looking forward to handing in my notice on Monday morning!

There were about 40 of us there today, split into 5 groups. I'd say the average age is about the 25 mark and there were only about 8 or 9 females.

Congrats to everyone else who passed today and commiserations to those that didn't. By the time I left 2 didn't make it on the bleep test and 1 on the push pull. Repeats are at the discretion of HRM. Hopefully they'll get another go at it.

Seems to be very few women and younger people in this recruitment from the posts I've read. When I say younger I mean 18 to say 22

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

So for the over 26's when you complete 7.10 in the beep test you are done. Is that correct?? It's a pity about the few who didn't qualify today. Please god they'll get a second go at it.

mickaleen wrote: »
    So for the over 26's when you complete 7.10 in the beep test you are done. Is that correct?? It's a pity about the few who didn't qualify today. Please god they'll get a second go at it.

26 and over males have to do 8.1

mickaleen wrote: »

And females over 26 have to get to 6.6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Thanks.

What sort of time did u achieve on the obstacle course?

And what average weight did you get on the push pull?

WilcoOut wrote: »
    What sort of time did u achieve on the obstacle course?

And what average weight did you get on the push pull?

Obstacle course is very easy. If you can pass the bleep test you can pass the obstacle course. Most people did it in well under 3 minutes, in fact I didn't hear anybody say it took them more than 3 min. One lad did it in 2.19, not sure if anyone beat that.

I got 40kg+ in the push pull. What I would say about the push pull is if your very slight or worried about not having the strength, take your time on the obstacle course because there's no break between that and the push pull. So if you sprint the obstacle course as fast as you can you'll be jumping onto the push pull machine while you're still panting for air and your heart rates near its max. At that stage a great obstacle course time will be no good to you if you haven't the strength left to push the 25kgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

The push pull is all about technique, get a good footing and put your entire body into it. You need to be using almost every muscle from your toes to your arms.

Psych yourself up and imagine you're grappling with someone who wants to do you some serious harm, that's what it's supposed to simulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

I wouldn't worry about the obstacle course or the push pull. Obstacle course times were generally well under 3 mins, it took me 2 mins 40 seconds. I was worried about the push pull; I got 50kgs on it and it didn't feel that hard. The adrenaline on the day makes everything much easier. I was struggling so much with the push ups, and in the end they seemed almost easy, I barely remember doing them. Best of luck to everyone that's doing it next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

When do people think we'll know what intake we'll be in??

Once you're in the top 100 and your medical and physical are done, and your vetting is grand... you're in the first intake I'd imagine?

20times wrote: »
    Once you're in the top 100 and your medical and physical are done, and your vetting is grand... you're in the first intake I'd imagine?

Im just outside top 100 but with a few failures im sure i could be in first intake.

Im just outside top 100 but with a few failures im sure i could be in first intake.

Yeah, I'd imagine you'd have a good chance if you're just outside it, 'cause I'm sure a few will have failed medicals and then the physical too! I hope they let us know early next week, so we can all make plans!!

Yeah, I'd imagine you'd have a good chance if you're just outside it, 'cause I'm sure a few will have failed medicals and then the physical too! I hope they let us know early next week, so we can all make plans!!

Ah stop im going to ring them and try find out next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

It will be after 7th of july that we will find out

Ah stop im going to ring them and try find out next week

Yeah, I'll probably be doing the same!! Just want an official start date, at least know where we stand then :D

fitzzbill wrote: »

Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

Few questions lads- met with super and sergeant so waiting on date for medical. Those of you who have everything done, were ye given much notice for medical? And how soon after is the physical?
    Is anyone else still waiting to hear?!
    Hoping adrenaline on the day will help but struggling with beep test

nios89 wrote: »
    Few questions lads- met with super and sergeant so waiting on date for medical. Those of you who have everything done, were ye given much notice for medical? And how soon after is the physical?
    Is anyone else still waiting to hear?!
    Hoping adrenaline on the day will help but struggling with beep test

I think I got in or around a week's notice for the medical, could've been a little more not certain. Then got 10 days notice for the physical. The adrenaline will certainly improve your performance on the day! And sure you've time, if you haven't heard anything yet, to improve the bleep test :)

Why's that?

Well people inside top 100 had to reschedule their physicals until that date which the irish stream physicals start also

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Im just outside the 200's. I rang Garda HRM last week and was told I probably wouldnt be getting my medical until the end of the summer.

Yup they are aiming to have offer letters out for this date for first class

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

I was told that they are trying to get 160 people passed as medically fit and trying to get around 100 in to the first class.
    From that 160 it's going to be down to vetting forms back in time.

This is coming from the staff member who led us from the medical centre to get our physical dates.

• Advertisement

I placed in the 180's and I have done my 2 interviews and I have my medical during the week. Is this unusual? I know I probably won't be in in July but the way things are working out I still have a little faith

Are they doin physicals everyday this week or jus wed and fri??

Are they doin physicals everyday this week or jus wed and fri??

I placed in 180s and got a call for medical.
    There's physicals on Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Yup they are aiming to have offer letters out for this date for first class

Hmm, I wonder will those in the top 100 doing the physical on the 7th be told whether they're in the July intake on the day itself. I'm in on the seventh and tbh I wouldn't mind if I was told I was in the July intake or the October intake, just as long as it was one if them :-P

Rothmans wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder will those in the top 100 doing the physical on the 7th be told whether they're in the July intake on the day itself. I'm in on the seventh and tbh I wouldn't mind if I was told I was in the July intake or the October intake, just as long as it was one if them :-P

Are you sure theres anyone from the top 100 doin it on the 7th?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭K.Hammett

Not sure about the 7th but I have mine next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Well I am for one, and I've certainly seen one or two others on boards, and when I signed the sheet to do it on the 7th there were about 15 - 20 other names from the English stream on there, most of which I'd guess would be in the top 100. My guess is that we'll be put into the October intake given that if we were for the July intake, it would be too quick a turnaround. You also must remember that anyone in on the 7th postponed, as the early dates didn't suit them ( this was certainly the case for me anyway), so that's why I think October. In fact, I'd be surprised if any of the Irish stream even got in in July!

Just did a practice run of the beep test. Hit level 9 then stopped. Did on grass and slipped a few times turning. Overall think it should go well.

Good luck to those doing the physical this week. Keep up the training.
    Well done to those already through.

Quick question. How many people are with you doing the beep test?

You do it in groups of 8.

I think I got in or around a week's notice for the medical, could've been a little more not certain. Then got 10 days notice for the physical. The adrenaline will certainly improve your performance on the day! And sure you've time, if you haven't heard anything yet, to improve the bleep test :)

Thanks for replying! and congrats on getting through! :)

Chirper wrote: »
    Im just outside the 200's. I rang Garda HRM last week and was told I probably wouldnt be getting my medical until the end of the summer.

I'm in the same boat as yourself so, just over the 200 mark. Good to know it could be a while! The not knowing and waiting around in killing me!

• Advertisement

r_k.com wrote: »
    I placed in the 180's and I have done my 2 interviews and I have my medical during the week. Is this unusual? I know I probably won't be in in July but the way things are working out I still have a little faith

Thats great, they're moving up through the numbers fairly fast so! Could have the wrong person but think i was talking to you at the open day?! Opened my eyes to what I was missing out on by not being on boards!! :P

nios89 wrote: »
    Thats great, they're moving up through the numbers fairly fast so! Could have the wrong person but think i was talking to you at the open day?! Opened my eyes to what I was missing out on by not being on boards!! :P

Yes female?. Your lucky you missed out in all the conspiracies through out the rest of the competition. I don't suppose your up in Dublin on the 25th? How is the bleep going for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smc87

Not much time for notice to employers... I am pretty confident that the start is the 28th of july... When I was at the meeting with the sergeant he kept saying that date for the start and pointing at a calendar with it circled a few times!

smc87 wrote: »
    Not much time for notice to employers... I am pretty confident that the start is the 28th of july... When I was at the meeting with the sergeant he kept saying that date for the start and pointing at a calendar with it circled a few times!

Ye but i think that the 28th is official start date but the people selected to start in july will have to be down there on the 21st

Ye but i think that the 28th is official start date but the people selected to start in july will have to be down there on the 21st

Yeah for an 'induction' week

So on that other form we have to fill out, they ask about fixed charge offences. Anyone else worried? I've had a bunch of parking fines...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

So on that other form we have to fill out, they ask about fixed charge offences. Anyone else worried? I've had a bunch of parking fines...

Surely most people have had them at this stage. They frequently boast about catching thousands of people every bank holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

What other form is this?

What other form is this?

One I got email to me, I think you signed it after the medical but I was deferred for a few days so I got it late.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hands_shaking

Really stressing about the fitness test now guys!! I have it this coming Wednesday and I have the sit ups and beep test just about down (touch wood it goes o.k for me on the day)...I'm really worried about the push ups and I particular the technique...how strict are they on having your hands under your shoulders and getting the 90° angle on your elbows?! Any help (and hopefully reassurance (haha) much appreciated :-D

• Advertisement
Advertisement