Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

Mine is also wednesday similar enough boat hopefully there not too strict on push ups

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Blaireness wrote: »
    So on that other form we have to fill out, they ask about fixed charge offences. Anyone else worried? I've had a bunch of parking fines...

They are issued for breaches of the traffic laws. If you have such contempt for the law I think you are applying to join the wrong job. I would give the benefit of the doubt to a once off offender but a regular offender BYE BYE.
    There are plenty of responsible motorists out there who wish to be a Garda and respect the law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

One I got email to me, I think you signed it after the medical but I was deferred for a few days so I got it late.

What's the form about? What kind of questions does it have?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭jamesr123

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    They are issued for breaches of the traffic laws. If you have such contempt for the law I think you are applying to join the wrong job. I would give the benefit of the doubt to a once off offender but a regular offender BYE BYE.
    There are plenty of responsible motorists out there who wish to be a Garda and respect the law

leave it out mate :rolleyes: Everyone gets fixed charges. Look at the list of people had them wrote off not so long ago Garda commissioner, ministers, sergeants, supers ect..
    I'v no idea how many 'Blaireness' has but if people are rejected because of such minor things then there gonna have trouble finding new recruits :o:o:o

jamesr123 wrote: »
    leave it out mate :rolleyes: Everyone gets fixed charges. Look at the list of people had them wrote off not so long ago Garda commissioner, ministers, sergeants, supers ect..
    I'v no idea how many 'Blaireness' has but if people are rejected because of such minor things then there gonna have trouble finding new recruits :o:o:o

I'm sorry to tell you but "everyone" does not get fixed charges. And those that do shouldn't have them written off. That is just another form of corruption.
    If you think that people who repeatedly break the law are fit to be Gardai then I worry about the future of the Gardai.
    The laws are there for a purpose and if you can't understand that then you shouldn't be applying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I'm sorry to tell you but "everyone" does not get fixed charges. And those that do shouldn't have them written off. That is just another form of corruption.
    If you think that people who repeatedly break the law are fit to be Gardai then I worry about the future of the Gardai.
    The laws are there for a purpose and if you can't understand that then you shouldn't be applying

And tell me Santa where did you buy that hailo over your head €2 shop.

Or was it Dealz?

D Trent wrote: »
    And tell me Santa where did you buy that hailo over your head €2 shop.

Or was it Dealz?

No one has a halo. If people on this site think that it is ok to continually break the law then they are in for a bit of a shock. If that attitude is common among Garda recruits it's just as well that they will getting paid ****e rates as they deserve nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nios89

r_k.com wrote: »
    Yes female?. Your lucky you missed out in all the conspiracies through out the rest of the competition. I don't suppose your up in Dublin on the 25th? How is the bleep going for you?

Yup, met you coming in the gate?! Haha ya I can see that! No im not unfortunately, still waiting to hear about medical! Best of luck with it! Era its coming along, still struggling but will hopefully get there! How are you getting on with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

No one has a halo. If people on this site think that it is ok to continually break the law then they are in for a bit of a shock. If that attitude is common among Garda recruits it's just as well that they will getting paid ****e rates as they deserve nothing more

Are you still in the process at the fitness stage??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Really stressing about the fitness test now guys!! I have it this coming Wednesday and I have the sit ups and beep test just about down (touch wood it goes o.k for me on the day)...I'm really worried about the push ups and I particular the technique...how strict are they on having your hands under your shoulders and getting the 90° angle on your elbows?! Any help (and hopefully reassurance (haha) much appreciated :-D

Try and do them as quick as possible. Slow press-ups are great for muscle building but will tire you quickly. Practice as much as you can until Tuesday evening and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Just done a practice bleep test and press ups and sit ups. People who have to get 8.8 were they sprinting by the end? Cause I was pushing myself. Baring in mind I had a football match at 6 o clock. Went straight into bleep and push-ups struggled and tired but I got through it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Can you park in the college for the PCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

Can you park in the college for the PCT?

No but the golf club is right beside it and there's plenty of parking in there

Didn't meet the required standard on the beep test on Friday, got 6.5 and got pulled up for missing the line.
    Passed everything else and was told I will get a second chance to do the beep test, just have to wait on HRM to get back to me.
    As many of you are no doubt the same, this is my dream job, to get this close and mess up is absolutely sickening!
    If you pass the beep test, the rest will be no problem! Best of luck to those doing their physicals this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭r_k.com

Becca22 wrote: »
    Didn't meet the required standard on the beep test on Friday, got 6.5 and got pulled up for missing the line.
    Passed everything else and was told I will get a second chance to do the beep test, just have to wait on HRM to get back to me.
    As many of you are no doubt the same, this is my dream job, to get this close and mess up is absolutely sickening!
    If you pass the beep test, the rest will be no problem! Best of luck to those doing their physicals this week.
    you will nail it the second time around just keep practicing everyday. I seem to be getting worse at it. Doing It every day and still only a little improvement. Good luck in the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Hard luck, but at least it's not the end of the road :) .Had you been getting up to the required level when you were practicing?

nios89 wrote: »
    Yup, met you coming in the gate?! Haha ya I can see that! No im not unfortunately, still waiting to hear about medical! Best of luck with it! Era its coming along, still struggling but will hopefully get there! How are you getting on with it?

You will probably hear tomorrow about the medical. I'm getting on ****e to be honest I can do the sit ups and push ups no bother but I'm kilt from the bleep test. It turns out I under estimated how long 20m is. I was able to get to 6 with my measurements but now with the proper measurements I dropped down to 4 :-0 . I'm out 4 times a day now though determined to get there. Improving a little every day. Let's hope I wont have the pct for at least another 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Sorry to hear that. At least you will get a second chance. You have all the motivation you need

Rothmans wrote: »
    Hard luck, but at least it's not the end of the road :) .Had you been getting up to the required level when you were practicing?

I had been practicing. I regret doing the warm up at the start, should have just done my own thing. Personally it killed my legs. I'd also advise anyone that had to travel over an hour to just stay down there the night before.

I had been practicing. I regret doing the warm up at the start, should have just done my own thing. Personally it killed my legs. I'd also advise anyone that had to travel over an hour to just stay down there the night before.

I remember saying that on the information day the cones looked a lot further than 20 meters apart. Were they a bit closer together by any chance for the real thing?

• Advertisement

I remember saying that on the information day the cones looked a lot further than 20 meters apart. Were they a bit closer together by any chance for the real thing?

They looked to be in the same position to me Rothmans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

A basketball court is 28m long so it looked about right at the open day!

They looked to be in the same position to me Rothmans

Yikes, and what level had you been getting up to while practicing on your own? Also, when practicing on your own did you measure the 20m with a tape, or just guesstimate?

A basketball court is 28m long so it looked about right at the open day!

I'm hoping that it just looks longer because it's inside haha. At least the timber is easier to run on than the grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

I got them for outside my own front door because of an issue getting my permit. Not because I was flaunting the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

I didn't mind waiting until the October intake until I showed up for work this morning and was told we were all being made redundant and was given my month notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    I didn't mind waiting until the October intake until I showed up for work this morning and was told we were all being made redundant and was given my month notice.

Ah man, sorry to hear that. But think about it, guaranteed job for life in a few months!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I almost envy you, i would love go to travelling for a while before I go into the college!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

WilcoOut wrote: »
    I almost envy you, i would love go to travelling for a while before I go into the college!!

Unfortunately they decided to reduce numbers by laying off all the people that were just under 2 years service so I won't be getting any redundancy payment.
    Down to the dole office I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Unfortunately they decided to reduce numbers by laying off all the people that were just under 2 years service so I won't be getting any redundancy payment.

Dreadful news but atleast something is over the horizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

A quick question re: bleep test... i am >26 so i have to reach 6.6 - to clarify... do i need to just finish shuttle 6.5 or 6.6? Many thanks. Every shuttle counts ;-) Pushups, situps and strength should be sound for me, the bleep test is my worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

You have to complete 6.6....best of luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

Hi everyone, how much time did you all have between the medical and the PCT? And how long after one/both were you waiting for results? Do they give you a medical all-clear on the day? Likewise with the PCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

You will probably hear tomorrow about the medical. I'm getting on ****e to be honest I can do the sit ups and push ups no bother but I'm kilt from the bleep test. It turns out I under estimated how long 20m is. I was able to get to 6 with my measurements but now with the proper measurements I dropped down to 4 :-0 . I'm out 4 times a day now though determined to get there. Improving a little every day. Let's hope I wont have the pct for at least another 2 weeks

Seriously, they're really trying to do the right thing this time round regarding fit people. I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone that doesn't fly through the physical. Lads saying it's their dream job, if it was you'd be ultra prepared for it, not failing physicals or failing for bmi.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Hi everyone, how much time did you all have between the medical and the PCT? And how long after one/both were you waiting for results? Do they give you a medical all-clear on the day? Likewise with the PCT?

I had my medical 10 days ago and have PCT Wednesday. You get a week minimum anyway. You get results on both straight away. Once its over and passed your vetting is the only thing left to clear before you have all boxes ticked!

hopeful8 wrote: »
    Seriously, they're really trying to do the right thing this time round regarding fit people. I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone that doesn't fly through the physical. Lads saying it's their dream job, if it was you'd be ultra prepared for it, not failing physicals or failing for bmi.

I have to agree. An average level of fitness is all that's required.

Hence why I'm putting the work in! I won't fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

Did everybodysfitness in the coming days get postponed untill the 7th/8th? Got a phone call today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

you'll defo appreciate getting into the garda even more now :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

So on that other form we have to fill out, they ask about fixed charge offences. Anyone else worried? I've had a bunch of parking fines...

anyone else seen or filled out this form? very surprised they'd even ask about fixed change notices.,

tictac__x wrote: »
    Did everybodysfitness in the coming days get postponed untill the 7th/8th? Got a phone call today!

What day was your PCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

No i have mine scheduled on wednesday havent heard any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

It seemed to be just the Thursday, 26th. I was able to reschedule for the next day.

carzony wrote: »
    anyone else seen or filled out this form? very surprised they'd even ask about fixed change notices.,

Yes after doing the medical there was a form asking about 4 or 5 questions about previous history of any convictions etc and asked about penalty points and fixed charge notices.

Hey, I'm on wednesday and haven't heard any different. Hope it ain't changed I want to get it done out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭tictac__x

octigen wrote: »
    Hey, I'm on wednesday and haven't heard any different. Hope it ain't changed I want to get it done out of the way.

I was suppose to be Thursday maybe it's just that day they are changing!

Still no word but thats ok, more time to practice!! Oh sure I was the same, no concept of how far 20 m was! Keep it up though, YOU GOT THIS!!! You still have time! Ill light a candle for you! :P

nios89 wrote: »
    Still no word but thats ok, more time to practice!! Oh sure I was the same, no concept of how far 20 m was! Keep it up though, YOU GOT THIS!!! You still have time! Ill light a candle for you! :P

Ha ha Thanks light two. Iv another two weeks shur it will be grand. I'll let you know how I get on anyway. :)

Ha ha Thanks light two. Iv another two weeks shur it will be grand. I'll let you know how I get on anyway. :)

Will throw in a hail mary too sure! Do, will be dying to know : )

Absolutely correct. You have not have control over how an interview will go and you do your best. However you have control over your physical fitness, weight etc. Anyone who fails the process on weight/physical fitness grounds deserves to do so. They have had ample time to prepare. Even from the initial application there has been several months where a person could have been doing a good training course.l

• Advertisement
Advertisement