Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment - Stage 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Reached the 7.6 in the beep test on grass! :D

I got confirmation that if we pass the physicals, the wait will be on the vetting. For those of us who have had foreign addresses, we may be delayed but there is a huge rush to those of us in the top 100 through (or at least as many as possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ronkl86

Hi everyone,

It's been said that there is approximately a 10 minute break between the beep test and the sit ups/press ups.
    This may seem like a silly question but am I correct in thinking the sit ups are 1st and are then followed by the press ups or can you choose which you want to do 1st? I am curious as the sit ups are timed and the press ups aren't.

Also is there any gap at all in between doing them even to stand up and take a sip of water or do they all happen in one quick swoop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Blaireness wrote: »
    Reached the 7.6 in the beep test on grass! :D

I got confirmation that if we pass the physicals, the wait will be on the vetting. For those of us who have had foreign addresses, we may be delayed but there is a huge rush to those of us in the top 100 through (or at least as many as possible).

I'd imagine after all those trials and the minor background checks done by the sergeant and super you'd wanna have something serious in the BR to get rejected now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

carzony wrote: »
    I'd imagine after all those trials and the minor background checks done by the sergeant and super you'd wanna have something serious in the BR to get rejected now?

BRs still not bk in HR yet so easily could be rejections now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

WilcoOut wrote: »

So this is basically reports from your local station ? My point was surely you'd wanna have done or been involved in something serious to get rejected ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Just to confirm what has been said on here already; I rang HRM today and was told July 21st for induction week and training starts on the 28th. Everything is subject to change of course but they are the dates they're currently working off.

Also, they'd be hoping to give people 2-3 weeks notice. Emphasis of course on the word hoping. I've handed my notice into work anyway, if worst comes to worst and I'm not in the first intake I've a nice excuse to spend a month or two travelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

What exactly does a BR check involve?? I thought the Sergeant/Super did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

Has anyone that has their pct tomorro received a confirmation email? I havent yet just thought should have received one

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

fitzzbill wrote: »
    Has anyone that has their pct tomorro received a confirmation email? I havent yet just thought should have received one

Haven't received one either. I don't think anyone got one.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

I applied to stay in the college tonight as I have my physical tomorrow but have received no word back, is anyone in the same situation? I have tried calling the college but can't get through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Lojak wrote: »
    I applied to stay in the college tonight as I have my physical tomorrow but have received no word back, is anyone in the same situation? I have tried calling the college but can't get through.

I'd ring ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Becca22 wrote: »
    Didn't meet the required standard on the beep test on Friday, got 6.5 and got pulled up for missing the line.
    Passed everything else and was told I will get a second chance to do the beep test, just have to wait on HRM to get back to me.
    As many of you are no doubt the same, this is my dream job, to get this close and mess up is absolutely sickening!
    If you pass the beep test, the rest will be no problem! Best of luck to those doing their physicals this week.

Sorry to hear that, but delighted you get a chance to re-do it. Do you mind me asking, as there seems to be a lot of confusion about this, is it: if you miss any two beeps, you're out... or do they have to be two beeps consecutively? Are there many Garda staff watching the lines while the bleep test is going on? Many thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

Sorry to hear that, but delighted you get a chance to re-do it. Do you mind me asking, as there seems to be a lot of confusion about this, is it: if you miss any two beeps, you're out... or do they have to be two beeps consecutively? Are there many Garda staff watching the lines while the bleep test is going on? Many thanks :-)

No repeat until the second batch of PCTs :( just greatful it's not over!
    It's two consecutive beeps. One can miss the line as many times as you want as long as you make it at the other end. There seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies between different instructors at the light, some allowing missing the line and a few cms, others not. My advice is to just keep going even if you think you've missed the line.
    There's about 8/9 instructors watching the line in total.
    Hope that helps and best of luck

Becca22, did you get any indication when the second batch will be done??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Becca22

mickaleen wrote: »
    Becca22, did you get any indication when the second batch will be done??

All I got told was the end of the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

For those who have a medical date, was there any contact made between when you had the superintendent meeting and when you were given a medical date.
    I'm in the 200s so I don't expect to have a physical for a while yet but I had the meeting with the super 2 weeks ago and haven't been contacted since.

A guy I work with claimed he was in the competition and passed stage 2 but never received the email to take part in stage 3 and when he contacted them it was too late.
    I just want to make sure I'm still in the running as I was made redundant.
    Should I call HRM and ask them for a status update?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    For those who have a medical date, was there any contact made between when you had the superintendent meeting and when you were given a medical date.
    I'm in the 200s so I don't expect to have a physical for a while yet but I had the meeting with the super 2 weeks ago and haven't been contacted since.

A guy I work with claimed he was in the competition and passed stage 2 but never received the email to take part in stage 3 and when he contacted them it was too late.
    I just want to make sure I'm still in the running as I was made redundant.
    Should I call HRM and ask them for a status update?

I wouldnt worry about it. Im in the same position. I Rang Garda HRM last week and they told me i wouldnt be hearing anything for a good while and my medical should be around the end of the summer.

Yeah I got the same reply from HRM. At least it gives us the chance to work away on the fitness even though I am as good as ready for the PCT, no harm in getting even fitter. I presume when they say the end of summer we are looking at August before we start getting called?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

So you mean no one has being cleared yet? You asked I presume. I was thinking about calling HRM for an update on my vetting after PCT tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

I had my medical, PCT tomorrow and havnt been contact by sergeant or super.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

octigen wrote: »
    So you mean no one has being cleared yet? You asked I presume. I was thinking about calling HRM for an update on my vetting after PCT tomorrow.

Nothing official had happened with regard to BR checks as of last week. Still awaiting their return in HR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

Nothing official had happened with regard to BR checks as of last week. Still awaiting their return in HR

HRM told me that they have not received any reports back yet. that was Friday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Carroller wrote: »
    I had my medical, PCT tomorrow and havnt been contact by sergeant or super.

I'm the same, medical done, pct this week and no meeting at a station. I had a call from the station confirming a DOB on a relative about a week ago tho. If I don't hear anything more from them over the next I'll ring em but won't worry about it.

Becca22 wrote: »
    No repeat until the second batch of PCTs :( just greatful it's not over!
    It's two consecutive beeps. One can miss the line as many times as you want as long as you make it at the other end. There seemed to be a lot of inconsistencies between different instructors at the light, some allowing missing the line and a few cms, others not. My advice is to just keep going even if you think you've missed the line.
    There's about 8/9 instructors watching the line in total.
    Hope that helps and best of luck

Thanks a mill. That's really helpful. Best of luck on the repeat. You'll nail it for sure. It will be a miracle if i hit 6.6 (oap! ;-) ) on Friday. Keep crumbling at 6.2 - so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Thanks a mill. That's really helpful. Best of luck on the repeat. You'll nail it for sure. It will be a miracle if i hit 6.6 (oap! ;-) ) on Friday. Keep crumbling at 6.2 - so frustrating.

Honestly you won't feel it going, they suddendly shouted level 7 at me on Friday and I couldnt believe it!

• Advertisement

Honestly you won't feel it going, they suddendly shouted level 7 at me on Friday and I couldnt believe it!

Please god! I'm as strong as a horse, so the rest of the day should be fine, but that sadist bleep test will be the death of me ;-) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Hope no girls are worrying about the press ups either. The mats are turned sideways so I had to bring my knees in further than I had been doing at home, made them a doddle!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

The o26 lads, wen we reach L8 is that it or do we have one shuttle left?!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

One more shuttle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Beep test coming along well. Getting up to 8.8 on grass, although just about. Should be well enough prepared for when my pct date rolls around :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 TurnerDHR

How have people been fairing on they're PCT the last couple of days? Is the last day for them this Friday the 27th?

TurnerDHR wrote: »
    How have people been fairing on they're PCT the last couple of days? Is the last day for them this Friday the 27th?
    As far as I know there are more on the 7th of July.

Rothmans wrote: »
    Beep test coming along well. Getting up to 8.8 on grass, although just about. Should be well enough prepared for when my pct date rolls around :-)
    You should be fine on the day once you keep hitting near or above that figure on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Hi all. Did everyone that did the medical also get called for the pct.

Yeah mine is on the seventh, so have plenty of time!

Ah you'll be fine. If you keep at it you'll be hitting over the level 9 mark by then.

So if the 7th is the last day of PCT then that doesn't give much notice at all for a start date around the 21st or 28th. Say 1 week of paper work and to get the official acceptance letters sent out, we would not receive them until the 14th approximately. Unless they are doing continuous PCT for the upcoming intakes in October etc, Rothmans are you in the Top 100?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dhawk

When were you given this date? Is there pcts all the dates leading to the 7th or is it just a single date for retests?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

dhawk wrote: »
    When were you given this date? Is there pcts all the dates leading to the 7th or is it just a single date for retests?
    There are tests on the 8th as well. Not retests.

There are tests on the 8th as well. Not retests.

They must be testing more than the initial intake of 100 so if they are testing 40 candidates each PCT day. Maybe testing everyone together and then separating them in July/October etc intake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

They must be testing more than the initial intake of 100 so if they are testing 40 candidates each PCT day. Maybe testing everyone together and then separating them in July/October etc intake.

From what I heard there is at least 5 days of testing in this window. So suspect at least 180-200 will be tested. As has been said on here before it will be the speed of the vetting coming back that could very well dictate the top 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

I think the later pct dates are for october class because HRM said they hope to notify first class by later next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

From what I heard there is at least 5 days of testing in this window. So suspect at least 180-200 will be tested. As has been said on here before it will be the speed of the vetting coming back that could very well dictate the top 100.

I'm fecked if it depends on speed of the vetting I'd say. 3 foreign addresses in 3 different countries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Shifty13

For the West Australian Police men aged between 19-29 have to get to level 10.1 on the bleep test.

I think we have it lucky!!!

I'm in the top 200 and I haven't been called for a medical or physical yet.

So if the 7th is the last day of PCT then that doesn't give much notice at all for a start date around the 21st or 28th. Say 1 week of paper work and to get the official acceptance letters sent out, we would not receive them until the 14th approximately. Unless they are doing continuous PCT for the upcoming intakes in October etc, Rothmans are you in the Top 100?

I'm in the top 100 alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Hopefully we'll get an update soon so we can hand in notice etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

Late summer for next round of medicals and PCT's. So I was told when I rang. I haven't hears anything from them yet so that's when I'll get my turn I suppose

My own view on this is they have had medicals and physicals ( including the people for physicals this week and the 7th/8th of July ) for about 150-160 people. I think they did this to have sufficient numbers for the first intake. By doing this it gives them better odds of getting 100 people vetted and into class for July. Other 50-60 people will be ready to go in October then. This is only all speculation on my part.

• Advertisement

mickaleen wrote: »
    My own view on this is they have had medicals and physicals ( including the people for physicals this week and the 7th/8th of July ) for about 150-160 people. I think they did this to have sufficient numbers for the first intake. By doing this it gives them better odds of getting 100 people vetted and into class for July. Other 50-60 people will be ready to go in October then. This is only all speculation on my part.

I'd say you're spot on there! That is the only explanation I can think of myself too!

Advertisement